Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Help, need encouragement!
Help, need encouragement!
I just started a cpap trial last week. I have a nose/face mask with a thing on the forehead to keep the nose part pressed in. It starts off relatively calm and I have actually fallen asleep with this setting. However, within about 30 minutes it increases in intensity until it is actually breaking the seal. Also, it is actually flapping my lips like when a dog sticks its head out the car window when the car is going fast. There is no possible way I can sleep like this, it wakes me up. I have called for support but of course the office where I got set up with this is not in after hours and I get sent to a call centre. I called their toll free number today and had to give the guy a Canadian geography lesson. He didn't even know what province I was in. Too-funnyIt said to press 1 for english but when the guy answered his french accent was so strong that I definitely could not really understand him in MY Language, nor do I feel he was really understanding me. At this point I am feeling very discouraged as I work the next 3 days (12 hour shifts) and am at the mercy of the after hours call centre. I guess what I am really looking for here is a bit of encouragement that this machine IS set too high and that there IS a good chance I will be successful with the correct settings. OR am I just going to have to get used to the feeling that I am a dog with his head out the car window?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help, need encouragement!!!
I does take some getting used to, but you should talk to your doc and explain what is going on....
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2013, 06:40 PM)bmiller Wrote: I just started a cpap trial last week. I have a nose/face mask with a thing on the forehead to keep the nose part pressed in. It starts off relatively calm and I have actually fallen asleep with this setting. However, within about 30 minutes it increases in intensity until it is actually breaking the seal.
Hi bmiller Welcome
what machine are you trialling? sound like machine set to start at lower pressure during "Ramp" and when pressure increase to prescribed pressure will spring a leak. Some machine have a mask fit feature so you can fit the mask at prescribed pressure not at lower start pressure

This might help: Tips for new CPAP users - http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

Tip #2: It may help to start by practicing wearing just the CPAP mask for short periods of time while you're awake, for example while watching TV. Then try wearing the mask and hose with the air pressure on, still during the daytime, while you're awake. Once you become accustomed to how that feels, shift to using the CPAP device every time you sleep — at night and during naps. Inconsistently wearing the CPAP device may delay getting used to it. Stick with it for several weeks or more to see if the mask and pressure settings you have will work for you.

Check mask fitting video for Quattro (video #10)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA23652FAF5627F3F

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bmiller!
Welcome to the forum, you are in the right place!
Hang in there. Help is on the way.
I swear.
They just grab your money, toss a machine at you with little to no training, and tell you to go to it.
Sometimes I would like to take some of these CPAP suppliers, tie them to a bed and subject THEM to the same treatment.

Oh-jeez

Ok. In the mean time...
Let's see about starting at the beginning.
See if you can figure out what kind of machine they gave you. It should be marked with a brand name like Phillips Respironics, ResMed, Devilbiss or Fisher & Paykel.
Just like an automobile there should be a model number/designation.

There are some pretty knowledgable folks here so you are in good hands.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Bmiller--Welcome to the forum. I can assure you that having your lips flapping and feeling like a dog with his/her head out a car window is not usual CPAP procedure or comfort level. As zonk said, knowing a few more details about your machine and mask will allow folks to offer specific suggestions. However, zonk gave you a couple links to start with.
Finding the best mask for oneself is often described as the biggest challenge, and many people wind up trying at least a few different ones before landing on the best one for them, since it's a very individual choice. Then, with a mask that seems best, it's also a matter of getting it to seal properly with headgear (straps) not too tight or too lose. The two possibilities that come to mind when you describe your machine's increasing pressure are either something called Ramp, as zonk mentioned, or an auto machine that has a pressure range and changes pressure within that set range in response to your needs during the night. This is to give you an idea of why knowing specifics about your set up will allow others to help more.
Even with everything under control, it does take time to get comfortable with wearing a mask and with CPAP, but it's well worth it for a variety of health reasons.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bmiller,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I am sorry you are having such a rough time right now but I encourage you to stick with it.
You could try to wear your mask and use your machine during the evening while you watch tv or read. This way, your body will get used to it before you sleep.
The mask can be the hardest part of the therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
Best of luck to you and don't give up.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It can take some getting used to! Some people put the mask on and never have an issue. Others can take a year or more until they notice any difference. Very few people stick with the first mask they try. I went through 6-8 different masks before I found one I liked.

Like Zonk said, sit up during the day with the mask and machine on to acclimatize yourself to it. Once it is up to full pressure (it sounds like you have the ramp turned on), then you can adjust the mask to eliminate leaks.

DO NOT overtighten. If you have to tighten it so tight it hurts, it's not the right mask for you. Most of the newer nasal masks are designed to float on the face. The air pressure creates the seal. Over tightening the mask breaks that seal.

All of our faces are different and what works for one won't work for another. So it makes sense it could take a while to find the mask that fits you, your face, your sleeping patterns, etc.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry you are having issues with your CPAP machine.

It would help us if we knew which brand of machine you were using.

Then we could give further guidance to assist you in your quest for better sleep.

Paula speaks the truth about not over tightening your mask.

It will get better. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first got my cpap I set it at a 20 minute ramp up and when it ramped to full pressure I would wake up from it. So, what I did was set the ramp at 5 minutes so I would be still awake when it went to full pressure. This gave me a chance to get used to it at its intended pressure. After a few weeks of this I had no trouble going o sleep with it. I have since put it back to 20 minutes. Maybe this will help you too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I no longer use the ramp feature. I kept messing with it, making it longer, shorter, everything in between and finally just turned it off. It took me just a few nights to get used to it. Now I find I can't breathe with it on! I've gotten so used to the high pressure, I feel smothered.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New and hoping for encouragement or advice lapsarian 6 693 08-30-2021, 06:36 PM
Last Post: lapsarian
  Confused and Need Encouragement pixelkitty 12 3,513 01-14-2020, 08:37 AM
Last Post: slowriter
  Just need encouragement MistRiver 14 2,133 11-02-2018, 01:44 AM
Last Post: jaswilliams

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.