Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Help understand what caused suffocation feeling
Help understand what caused suffocation feeling
Hi,
I have been using CPAP for over 2 years without issue.
Last month there were two nights where I woke up feeling like I couldn't get enough air (Oscar_maskOff and Oscan_maskOff2), so much so that I removed the nasal pillows as seen by the blank spaces. Note that I also use mouth tape. Historical data do not show similar long durations of high flow/tidal volume/ minute vent.
I then replaced the hose, headgear and air filter.
I was fine for a week or so but recently had another similar episode (Oscan_afterChangeOut), I tried to calm myself enough to not have to take off the mask but it was still very uncomfortable.
Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help understand what caused suffocation feeling
Each of us are different but for me my min has to be between 10 or 11 or I have that feeling and end up taking my mask off.

I would raise the min to 8 and see if that is enough.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
That looks like when my air filter plugged but you say you changed filter. Is room etc really dusty by chance (doing renovations or something) if so maybe try changing filter again.

Another thing that can cause this is a poorly venting mask. You mentioned switching headgear which should have helped if it was the particular mask that was the problem. Worth checking that the vents are clean and clear though.

Especially on those P10 masks extra humidity and rain out can cause the vents to plug up and cause this issue. If mask has signs of humidity (water droplets, moisture etc) you might need to lower humidity settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2022, 04:18 PM)Geer1 Wrote: Another thing that can cause this is a poorly venting mask. You mentioned switching headgear which should have helped if it was the particular mask that was the problem. Worth checking that the vents are clean and clear though.

I had this experience when I tried using a mask liner. I didn't realize for two days that the liner blocked the mask vents. I was actually able to sleep despite this, and my AHI, etc., were no worse than usual; but I puffed like a steam loco.

Best wishes, DS
Post Reply Post Reply
I found that I felt this way not so much with a full face mask, but with pillows that were sized too small. Even though they SEEMED to fit comfortably in my nose, I found that I had to go up a size with the P10 to not feel like I wasn't getting enough air. This was also at a fairly high fixed pressure too, so it wasn't from having low minimum pressure, as can sometimes be the case.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have this feeling when the mask pillows are loose and the air is going across my nose instead of in my nose tightening the mask up a little bit fixes this
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will play around with them to see if I can get any improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 88 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 271 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 325 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 982 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 305 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.