Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Help understanding OSCAR report
Help understanding OSCAR report
[attachment=26876][attachment=26876][attachment=26876][attachment=26876]
Hi - I've been using a DreamStation since18 August but have only now discovered OSCAR and the ability to look at detailed information.  However, like other new users I'm grappling with understanding what I see.

I'm 73 and in good health, and was persuaded to try CPAP due to being told (wife) that I "stop breathing a lot at night" and because of tiredness during the day.  I'm not conscious of any sleep problems except, to me, my nights are full of dreams (not nightmares, just feature-films).  I do have to say though that since going onto this machine my tiredness is enormously reduced, so something is working.

Anyway,, if some good person is willing to take a look at my report and comment, I'd really appreciate the input.  I have looked through the forum first and - to me - I seem to have some different patters from others.  I also note a common comment about increasing minimum pressure. 

Over to you in anticipation (and hope that I managed the "set up your report"
 correctly.

Roger

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help understanding OSCAR report
Oh, and if it helps or is of interest, the sleep study that triggered this said:

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, glade you found the site...

You did a good job but you need the "top" charts showing not the bottom ones.  Most generally we need event flags, flow rate, pressure, leak rate, Flow limits so we can see those.  You can edit your post or put up a new one.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dodgie,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

First thing, let's move your min pressure to 8cm as a setting of 5 is too low. Reason: Respironics machines are slower to react, you need to give it a head start so to speak. The minimum pressure should be around your median pressure.

Go here to order a Clinicians manual:  https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

Also, turn the AFlex setting from 3 to 2, as a setting of 3 sometimes causes that variable breathing.

Thanks for posting the sleep report.  I was looking to see if you experienced Central Apnea, but it was very low, so seems nothing to worry over there.  

You do however show some positional apnea.  Look at the Obstructives on your graph.  You will see they are lumped together.  This is a sign of what we call chin tucking, and can cut off your air.  This can happen on your back or side.  Sometimes our bed pillow is too high and cause our chin to tuck into our chest.  So a correction there is in order.  You can try a soft cervical collar to see if that helps.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

You did a pretty good job with the chart, but as Stacy said, please repost as we are picky and like it a certain way.   Smile

Use the links in my signature line below to help guide you on organizing a chart.  We need to see the following:  Events, Flow Rate, Pressure and Leak Rate.  NOTE:  There is no Flow Limitation graph on Respironics Cpaps, so add snore or respiratory if you want.

Also, include the entire left side bar, minus the calendar and pie chart.  

Thanks, hopefully we can get you on to more comfortable therapy.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your numbers say that you need to raise your min pressure up to 7. I can't be more precise since you didn't include the standard charts that are typically toward the top.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry about posting the wrong part - it must have moved as I did the screenshot.  Here is a replacement.  Noted already the advice about increasing the minimum pressure, which i will do for tonight.

Post Reply Post Reply
You also have what is very likely chin tucking which is causing obstructive events. The tell is the clusters of obstructive events. Before we move to the ultimate 'fix', a soft cervical collar (read the link in my signature), let's try some simpler potential solutions. What is the pillow situation? can you do something that will reduce the pillow height? Use 1 pillow instead of two? You have the idea. Look for the clusters, that will tell you if you are successful or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice and for the website info on accessing the machine controls. I have increased minimum flow to 5 and decreased the Flex from 3 to 2.

On the pillow question I have been using a low memory-foam "cervical" one so I don't think it's a height issue. However, the cervical collar seems like its worth trying. Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,562 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 171 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  excessive snore on report jentlesoal 0 175 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: jentlesoal
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 559 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976
  [Treatment] Understanding rise in AHI PedroT 17 815 12-30-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: PedroT
  Help Understanding CA hollercollett 2 363 12-26-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: hollercollett

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.