Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Help with Interpreting OSCAR Data
RE: Help with Interpreting OSCAR Data
Attaching my charts for the last 5 nights. My AHI has suddenly increased in the past two nights, from below 1 to 3 and 4.9. Any particular reasons why this might be happening? I must add that I am not feeling any worse though. 

[attachment=37913]

[attachment=37914]

[attachment=37915]

[attachment=37916]

[attachment=37917]
Post Reply Post Reply
Unable to understand why the AHI has increased. As I said, I am not feeling any worse, but I don't get why the AHI is jumping like that.

Post Reply Post Reply
The only thing I saw in these last 3 was low level Hypopnea and Obstructive Apnea and then the last chart has some CA/Central Apnea. We aren't trying for zero events but consistent below 5, whatever level you're comfortable at. But again zero isn't needed, if you get zeros in some events that's fine.

Since you say you're feeling fine, I'd probably not worry over it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your last couple of nights show positional apnea. Positional apnea is when you are sleeping in a position that cuts off your airway. Having your chin drops down to your sternum.  Sleeping on your back or to high pillow can cause it. 

No pressure changes can help you hard to find a way to stop getting into that position. If it is not easy to fix (like changing pillow) you will need a collar. 

Please check the link in my signature at the bottom of the post. It shows people without and the same people with a collar. High difference.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Upon second look, Flow Limits still are showing the shaggy grass look. Maybe this is something that may need attention. Since your EPR is 3 already, min pressure increases would need considered if it's a source of disturbances.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
it does not look like your flow limitations are at the root of the increased OA. it does look like those OA occurrences are in nights that the pressure is already being vaulted quite a bit by the reaction to the flow limitations. it this were my chart, i would consider doing two things --
(1) studying the EPAP Median for the 6 nights and shape of the peaks, I would conclude that I need a greater start EPAP, of about 8.5 to 9.0. (this would mean at EPR 3 my Pressure min would be 11.5 to 12.0).
(2) as a temporary measure to see if it helps on rougher nights, I would bump my maximum pressure up by something small like 15.5 or 16.0.

The positional apnea theory about a tucked chin may have it's merits, so just consider if there is something you have that you can tuck between the chin and the chest to reduce the constriction. [I use a u shaped travel pillow, turned 180 degrees, so the space is at the pillow, and the back or side of the travel pillow is under the chin.]

above all (which is why I put this at the bottom) comfort and impression of good sleep take center stage unless the AHI gets awfully rambunctious (say OA + H > 5 per hour) and I wouldn't count CA unless it is prevalent (CA > 3 per hour).

Good luck and quality sleeping.

QAL

ps. yep, that means I wouldn't be upset if my worse nights were clocking up to 8.0 per hour as long as obstructive cases were under 5.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 102 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 63 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 399 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 140 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Analyzing OSCAR DATA givememyusername 3 172 03-20-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.