Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Help with OSCAR data
Question 
Help with OSCAR data
Hi everyone,

I have been on CPAP (ResMed AirSense 10 Auto) for the last 5 years.  I wear a full face mask (ResMed F20).  My untreated AHI was 90 as of 2016.  My pressure prescription is for 4-13 cmH2O.  I have EPR set at 3 full time.

My AHI with CPAP is usually under 2 (and often under 1).  Even so, I still really don't sleep all that well (an app called AutoSleep pulls information from my Apple Watch that usually shows that I have very little to no REM sleep).  I would like to understand what problems if any, may be apparent from my OSCAR data so that I can try to improve my sleep while on CPAP (my data from last night is attached).  Can anyone who understands this data help?

I've tried mouth guards (ZQuiet - hated it) and mouth tape (doesn't help) as adjuncts to CPAP therapy to improve my sleep.  I also have a cervical neck pillow arriving today (we'll see!).

I will be seeing a sleep pulmonologist on November 11.  It has been 5 years since I've had a sleep study (at home), so it is probably time for another one.  I am also interested in having a drug induced sleep endoscopy so that the anatomical cause of my sleep apnea can be identified and potentially treated (I'm open to surgery, if available).  Any advice that you may have about topics to discuss with the doctor in light of my data would be most welcome.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with OSCAR data
Welcome to the board, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that can answer questions and help.

I see a couple of things that would improve your therapy.

first let me explain the basics of pressures and EPR.  The min pressure is the inhale and exhale pressure.  EPR (exhale pressure relief) subtracts from the min pressure to make it easier to exhale and ALSO help with flow limits and hypopnea.  So it is an important part of your therapy.

The absolute lowest pressure the cpap machine can go is 4.  Your min is 4 and you have your EPR at 3.  It is doing nothing for you set up this way.  Min 4 - EPR 3 just can't be done because the machine can not go below 4.

I would suggest the following setting
Min 7
EPR 3

That would give you inhale at 7 exhale at 4.  It will help keep the pressures steady (your pressures look like mountain ranges) and help yout your hypopnea and flow limits that are high.

give it a try tonight and post tomorrow, tell us how this feels compared to the other setting.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

two things
Set Min pressure = 7 to take full advantage of EPR as described above.
Turn Ramp off. At these pressures there should not be any need for a ramp.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will be getting an airsense 11 autoset very soon as a replacement for my current machine under recall. so, this could be me, soon. in that vein, if this were my night and it were typical, then I would do the following:

make sure my minimum exhale pressure is going to be about 5.9 (like near the med. EPAP).
set my algorithm to "Autoset for Her". It raises and lowers in smaller bits, slightly slower to react, but way slow to reduce the pressures, so should be much less spikey.

If I keep the EPR set as 3, the start pressure should be 5.9+3=8.9. Setting would then show Min 8.9 Max 13.

my own preference is to have EPR at 2 because that is what I am used to. Then I could get away with Min 7.9 Max 13.

I have ramp setting on my System One one, but it only does this if I press the button. And, I rarely use it.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply
quiescence at last  That is not how EPR works. See my first post in this thread
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
i think we were saying the same thing. but, if not, no big deal.  that is what i would do.  OP may not even want to make their own adjustments.

QAL

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Looked to me like you were saying the same thing, just in different ways.

A minimum pressure of 7 with an EPR of 3 would give you a pressure of 4 on exhale.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I changed the settings from 7-13 cmH2O with EPR set at 3.  Didn't sleep terribly well, unfortunately.  Here are the results.  My pressure levels are still all over the place!

Post Reply Post Reply
Set your min pressure=10
Max=15
Try that and repost
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are the results of my change to 10-15 cmH2O with EPR 3 last night.  Per the AutoSleep app, it looks like my waking up during the night coincided with the pressure spikes shown on the OSCAR graphs.  My sleep was not great but it did improve somewhat after I put on a cervical neck pillow at around 4 am.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Adjusting Settings based on Oscar data rygonzo93 4 76 9 hours ago
Last Post: gainerfull
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 24 1,287 Yesterday, 10:17 AM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 7 254 Yesterday, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Akaharu
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data Review for New User goodfella7763 3 184 04-15-2024, 08:42 PM
Last Post: goodfella7763
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 112 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help - OSCAR Data Flspearfisher 2 387 04-11-2024, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Flspearfisher
  Oscar Data Interpretation UPDATED Johand77 1 112 04-10-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.