Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Help with SleepyHead
Help with SleepyHead
Hi, I've been on PAP since Oct 1. I have no data for the first month because my DME refused to dispense a data capable machine. During my sleep/titration study the overall apnea/hypopnea was 34/hr.
Last night's reading were:
AHI 8.32
Hypopnea 4.29 (34 events)
Obstructive 1.64 (13 events)
Clear Airway 2.40 (19 events)
RERA 0.00
Flow Limit 0.38 (3 events)
Pressure Pulse 62 events
95% Pressure 9.90
95% Total Leaks 40.00

The night before:
AHI 2.07
Hypopnea 1.10 (8 events)
Obstructive 0.55 (4 events)
Clear Airway 0.41 (3 events)
RERA 0.41
Flow Limit 0.28 (2 events)
Pressure Pulse 13 events
95% Pressure 9.00
95% Total Leaks 36
I don't understand why the increase in AHI's from one day to the next (I know we have our ups and downs.) The only thing I can think of is that last night I took Melatonin. Last night I used the Swift FX pillows and woke up twice, the second time I adjusted my nasal pillows and went right back to sleep again. The night before, I used the Wisp nasal mask.
Could the fact that I took Melatonin result in the increase in events, during deep or REM/sleep?
This brain fog is really making understanding this a challenge.
RE: Help with SleepyHead
No two nights are the same. We do different things during the day. Eat different foods, have different stresses. We may have a fight with a boss or play ball with the kids. Or both on the same day. We don't sleep in the same position, there may not be the same sounds, or even the same temperature. It may be raining one night and not the next. The list goes on and on.

This is why we stress to not make changes based on a single or even two nights' worth of data but to gather data over time. You are looking for trends, a range that is your "normal". Try to not get caught up in the nightly numbers just yet. Keep looking at it, figure out what you are looking at.

Also, your profile says you have a ResMed 560 Auto. Do you mean you have a Respironics 560 Auto?

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Sorry, yes I changed the machine. Had that totally wrong.

For the past 10 days my AHIs have been <5 so I was just wondering if the Melatonin had anything to do with the AHIs. Even though I feel like I had a good night's sleep like pre-PAP, I certainly don't feel rested. But I do have a large sleep debt.

Hi 4evertired,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Paula said.
CPAP can take some time to get used to. Your body is still getting used to this "new" way of sleeping and you haven't been doing the therapy that long so just stick with it.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Okay. Give it some more time. Yes, it could be the stuff you added. You've been watching and you know your "normal". But again, one night is not enough. Keep watching.

But congrats for noticing something was different!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

It is unlikely that a single dose of melatonin would have any effect at all. It normally takes several days to build up in the body before it begins to affect us.

Quote:
ADMIN NOTE:
This thread is now closed. If you have a question regarding the SleepyHead software package, please go HERE.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.