Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Help with oscar
Help with oscar
    Please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place or if I am doing something else wrong. I need help understanding this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with oscar
You have a high amount of OH and H events. You are not getting any relief from your pap machine. The reason is you are cutting off your own airway AND no pressure setting or adjustments to the pap machine will help. 

You have positional apnea what we call “chin tuck”. It must be eliminated BEFORE your machine can help. So what is positional apnea?

Simply that you getting into a position that cuts off your airway while asleep. Sometimes it is as simple as to high (thick) of a pillow or sleeping on your back with your chin tucked down to your chest. 

Many people here have found relief from wearing a collar to bed. (See the link to collar at the bottom of this post)
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for quick response. I have been struggling for months and have had no relief with cpap.
I'm going to buy a collar right now.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is real important to get a good fit. Measure the difference between your chin and sternum for the correct height.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
So here is a chart from a few days ago before i got my cervical collar. the following charts are after I started wearing collar.  Also, can a cpap resolve my apneas or do i need a different machine? If I need a Bipap, what type would be best? I talked with sleep doctor today and he said he wants to try a bipap but im very tired of waiting and i am very concerned about my health. is the periodic breathing my main concern? Brainfog is killing me. Im seriously considering purchasing my own machine. i have been reading nonstop and im learning alot but any help reading OSCAR charts would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It looks like the collar has helped. I would move the pressure up 2 and see if the numbers go down. I think you may be several numbers low.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will try that tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have read that phillips makes a better ASV machine than resmed is this true?
Post Reply Post Reply
No, most people here seem to prefer ResMed. How were your centrals last night?
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.