Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Help with oscar
RE: Help with oscar
I went back and checked all other charts you posted. This is the first time we have seen a central apnea group. I would have disregarded it entirely but the periodic breathing looked like Cheyne-Stokes Respiration. The Aircurve 10 Vauto is by far the best machine for treating obstructive sleep apnea, and this cluster of CA and periodic breathing was completely unexpected.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning all,
another rough night. I been researching cheyne stokes breathing and im not thrilled. Can a bipap machine resolve this type of respiration. i getting more and more tired.
need to try something soon!!
thanks brent
Chart from 2 nights ago attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
BiPAP or bilevel therapy can increase ventilation and actually make you more prone to periodic breathing and CSR. In most individuals without heart failure, this breathing pattern is just a feedback loop caused by alternating hypercapnea and hypocapnea (excess and insufficient CO2). It is CO2 that causes respiratory drive, and sometimes with CPAP or bilevel, ventilation is increased enough to flush the CO2 from our respiratory system. This causes a reduction in respiratory effort and the flow rate diminishes until you briefly stop breathing, at which point CO2 rapidly increases and respiration restarts, but due the the lag respiration becomes greater than normal again purging CO2 and the cycle repeats. You can see at the end of the sequence you posted, the oscillations are diminishing and eventually level out and normalize. This is essentially passing in and out of your apneic threshold.

This is a rather complex article explaining the feedback loop, and how CA can arise out of the imbalance of CO2 in some individuals, and this is not predicated on central nervous system disorders, spinal injury or heart failure. https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/d...004.028985 It's good information, but the simple solution may be to increase CO2 just enough to avoid the loop. We have a wiki for that. Enhanced Expiratory Rebreathing Space http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ace_(EERS) Basically we just allow you to rebreathe a small amount of exhaled air to maintain CO2 by moving the mask vent upstream towards the CPAP machine a short distance, and using the created dead space for re-breathing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
heres last nights chart.

Post Reply Post Reply
I got all the parts ordered to build my EERS. I had to order from several different suppliers but all parts should arrive within 7 days. I will let you guys know how it goes.
Thanks again for all the help.
Brent
Post Reply Post Reply
Brent, please feel free to document your EERS build with images and charts that show what you're trying to accomplish, and your progress. I will add it to the Wiki. It is not a common setup, but has been mostly effective for those that need it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I will do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning all,
I have delayed buying a machine because i want to make sure I get the right one. Attached are some charts from the last three nights. It appears to me that things are improving but I feel the same,maybe worse. I just dont believe i am getting the deep restorative sleep that i need. As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated. I feel like i need to get some real sleep soon. thank you brent

Post Reply Post Reply
here are the remaining charts.

Post Reply Post Reply
None of what is being flagged as obstructive looks correct. The oscillating flow rate is characteristic of someone near their apneic threshold and the gradual decrease of flow rate to apnea, then gradual increase of respiration afterwards is absolutely a central characteristic. Your machine is interpreting these as obstructive and increasing pressure which probably makes it worse. I discussed this feedback loop in a previous post, and my opinion of what we are looking at has not changed a bit. I'm tempted to reduce your pressure range to 8.0 minimum 10.0 maximum.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.