Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Help with setting for the new user
Question 
Help with setting for the new user
Hello!

I was diagnosed with mild OSA based on pAHI=2.0, pRDI=12.0 using Lofta's at home sleep study.
I still can't get thorough a whole night with a mask on most of the nights.

Without a CPAP, my nose gets stuffy at night. Usually, one or the other nostril (alternating depending on which side I'm sleeping) gets completely blocked and the other is restricted. When this happens, I get these annoying dreams where I fight or struggle and feel super tired in the morning. I'm suspecting I have UARS based on this and the low AHI / high RDI.

On average I feel more rested after sleeping with a CPAP. However, even with the CPAP sometimes one of the nostrils wouldn't get any air through it. I guess I'm getting extra air through the other nostril.
Would increasing the baseline pressure help? What should the settings look like?

Another thing OSCAR is showing I'm having CA events which indicate central apnea events. Should I worry about these?

And on a side note, my cat loves chewing on the hose even while I sleep. I'm on the second hose already. Any thoughts on how to deter the cat (humanely lol) Thinking-about

Thanks for any help!

Here's screenshots for another night with lots of CA events.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with setting for the new user
I assume that the home sleep test didn't record Clear Airway events.  Do you have a copy of that test to post here?

Your pressure settings are set wide open 4-20 and are not an optimal setting for most folk.  At 4cm minimum, you may be feeling "air starved."  

Also, you have EPR set at 2.  In order to feel a benefit from EPR 2, you would need to have a minimum pressure of 6cm.  6cm minus 2 EPR equal 4.  The machine can go no lower than 4.  

Since you never went above 6.64, I would recommend changing your pressure settings to this:  Minimum 7cm, maximum 15cm and EPR at 2.  

Please turn the ramp to off.  

If the Clear Airway events continue, we can turn EPR to 1 or even off.  But wait a few days, as they may settle down.  

As far as your cat... Dont-know  I don't have a cat.... but if I did, I would buy a fleece type hose cover to protect the hose. Maybe he'll just snuggle up to the hose instead of chewing.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow thanks a lot!
Here's the initial sleep report: https://www(.)dropbox(.)com/s/3q28ngrleeiej75/report.pdf?dl=0
Post Reply Post Reply
Your settings you have do not work together. Let me explain. The absolute lowest the machine will go is min 4. No matter what you do 4 is the lowest any pap machine can go. 

Epr is exhale pressure relief. You have yours set at 2. To get the pressure relief you have set the min must be 6 or more. Min - EPR is 6-2=4. You can’t have min4 -EPR 2. It can not be 2 the lowest is 4. 

I would suggest these for a nights settings and post tomorrow. 

Min 8
EPR 3

It is possible these could give you more centrals we need to see but it will give you a better nights sleep
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to add...
Use the links below in my signature line as a guide on organizing your graphs and uploading here by using the Attachment Feature.

Use the F12 key to take a Screenshot of the daily page. This will automatically reorder the page according to what we need to see.
If more is needed, we will ask.
Thanks.

You can post a working link to your Dropbox for the sleep report or use the attachment feature.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 148 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,173 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 855 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 424 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 382 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 2,996 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 512 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.