Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] High AHI but technician says all OK...
High AHI but technician says all OK...
Hi

This is my first post to the forum so forgive me if I sound like a newbie (which I am).

About 6 months ago I started using a CPAP machine, for the 3rd time in my life. The 2 earlier times failed miserably, I couldn't fall asleep with the machine. This time I was determined to succeed, and with the help of a dedicated technician I adjusted to the machine, and within a few weeks I was sleeping all night, usually without waking up, had an AHI of 4 or 5, and was feeling much more alert, found it much easier to get up in the morning. So far, a success story.
As of a couple of months ago, following a bad cold, my AHI jumped to between 7 and 13, and I'm feeling tired again. Now it seems to have stabilized at around 8. I'm also waking up once or twice to go to the toilet. I sent the technician the data from the memory card, telling him that the AHI had risen and that I'm tired. He says that the data shows that my apnea is under control, despite the AHI, and that if I'm feeling tired it must be from something else. I feel that the AHI indicates that the apnea is NOT under control. The technician told me to talk to a doctor to see what's making me tired.

Before I go that route, has someone had a similar experience? I installed OSCAR and have the data from the machine, so I can share it if someone can look at it and voice an opinion.

Thanks!

Benzi
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High AHI but technician says all OK...
Welcome to Apnea Board. Without seeing data, I would agree with you. AHI is used as the identifier to say apnea therapy is successful or not. That success or fail number is 5 AHI. 5 or less and you should be OK according to the medical world.

If you have a CPAP machine that's compatible with OSCAR, I'd get that on your computer and use it to post a chart of a sleep session. This is to give us a visual of the data and we can suggest things to change on your CPAP settings. If you also had a sleep study and have a copy of its detailed report, you can include screenshots of this as well. Redact or blacken out the personal data aspects, name address etc.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave for responding so quickly. It's extremely frustrating that after finally getting benefit from the CPAP, it seems things have regressed.
I'm attaching the details (I hope) of my last OSCAR session. If this isn't what you meant, please let me know.

BTW, over the last couple of months I've put on about 3 kilo (about 6.6 pounds); weeks of isolation, much more eating and much less exercising. Maybe that could have an effect on the AHI?

-----
Sorry, just found out I can't attach a csv... I guess I'll have to read the wiki...
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome. Yes, weight gain or loss can affect the AHI. Example: I had bariatric weight loss surgery in 2016. I lost 100 pounds, from 300 to 200. That cut my untreated AHI in half, down to 37. I still needed an ASV due to high central apnea.

Here's the wiki on attachments. See if this helps on adding in your screenshots. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand how to attach a file, but how do I get OSCAR to display all the data so it can be seen in a screen shot (without scrolling)?
Post Reply Post Reply
Benzi,
Follow the link in my signature line below for organizing your daily page and using the attachment feature.

For now, we only need to see the following graphs: Event, Flow Rate, Pressure, Leak Rate, flow limitation.
Include Left Side Bar minus Pie Chart and Calendar.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the guidance. I couldn't see much data when I put all 5 graphs on the screen, so I took 2 screen shots to show more data. Hope this shows the relevant information.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Three things:
1. Turn the EPR setting to Off. Lets see if that reduces the Clear Airway events.
2. Your minimum pressure is a bit low. Try moving it up to 6cm.
3. The Obstructives events show they are clustered together, meaning you may be tucking your chin to your chest, which in turn cuts off air supply. Have you ever tried a soft cervical collar? This had helped many other members.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

If you want to try just one change at a time, start with turning the EPR off.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I'll try changing the epr to ramp-only and see whether that makes a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
As long as your ramp time isn't set too long. With such a low minimum pressure, you shouldn't need to use ramp.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 702 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,433 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.