Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] High AHI but technician says all OK...
RE: High AHI but technician says all OK...
I did what you suggested: left the EPR off (actually, on ramp) and set the pressures to 5 and 5. Also tried to avoid over-tightening the mask to reduce leaks. I think the leaks are better (I'm not sure on how to read the graphs), AHI is around 6.8 which is better than the 10-13 that I was getting recently. Still feeling tired in the morning.
If I'm reading the data correctly, I'm not getting any obstructive apnea events. Am I right? It's scary to think that I have "central" events that the CPAP can't help with. Or can it?
Should I now increase pressure?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Right, the Cpap can't address the Central Apnea, only an ASV can help.

You have lowered the EPR and overall pressure. It may be time to talk to your doctor about using an ASV machine.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I need to still try to work with the CPAP. It was great till a few weeks ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
Shouldn't I now increase the pressure to 6?
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing to note about any CA based event is that it is consistently inconsistent. You may seem to have CA treated and then they crop up again later. This sounds like it already happened.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Adjustments now on this machine are for comfort. It's time to talk to your doc about getting an ASV
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2020, 08:13 AM)Benzi Wrote: Shouldn't I now increase the pressure to 6?

Benzi,
Raising the pressure often will cause the Clear Airways events to rise. But go ahead and try it as an experiment. Then post a graph here to let us see it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2020, 08:38 AM)bonjour Wrote: Adjustments now on this machine are for comfort.  It's time to talk to your doc about getting an ASV

I just googled ASV and got a fright. Isn't it what they use in ICU for patients (e.g., with Corona) who can't breathe?
Post Reply Post Reply
ASV is different. For Corona Virus the ventilator does 100% of the breathing and they put you in a coma to do it. No this isn't that. In COVID 19 oxygen levels are extremely low and most of them don't have sleep apnea.

ASV is very normal, at least it should be, treatment for Central Apnea. It is the only device that is intended to treat Central Apnea . Again it is normal and not to be feared
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2020, 09:00 AM)bonjour Wrote: ASV is different. For Corona Virus the ventilator does 100% of the breathing and they put you in a coma to do it.  No this isn't that.  In COVID 19 oxygen levels are extremely low and most of them don't have sleep apnea.

ASV is very normal, at least it should be, treatment for Central Apnea. It is the only device that is intended to treat Central Apnea .  Again it is normal and not to be feared

1 Does an ASV also fix the obstructive apneas? 
2. Before CPAP my AHI was 33, now down to 7. What reasons are there to try to rectify the CA apnea, aside from being less tired? I was under the impression that an AHI of 7 or 8 is not even considered apnea....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 296 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 111 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 134 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 181 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 174 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,629 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 273 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.