Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] High AHI but technician says all OK...
RE: High AHI but technician says all OK...
Thanks Sleeprider & SarcasticDave. I'll try changing the settings and see where it gets me. There seems to be a dearth of sleep experts in my area. I have yet to find one who uses anything other than CPAP to treat apneas. I'll look further.
But I thought that the reduction in CA's was meaningful. If it came down to 2.99 (instead of 6/7) with the sleeping pill, doesn't that mean things are going in the right direction? Even if there was leakage.
Post Reply Post Reply
A single night does not make a trend you can count on. Central apnea is consistently inconsistent, but the best strategy to minimize them is to use lower pressure that is sufficient for comfort and to control OA, and to minimize pressure fluctuations and EPR or pressure support. It really is about being as comfortable as possible, and in your case, I see the leaks as a bigger problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think if leaks were more controlled, the other therapy aspects would more readily fall into proper place. Most of us have leaks as a big issue at some point. If you get the big issue under control, the smaller stuff is by far all the easier to manage.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You've had some great advice so far by most of the recognized experts on this forum. They were instrumental in helping me with my therapy early on and have resulted in the succesful treatment I have today. I also struggled with balancing the CA events that I had early on and I found through advice here that using EPR (or rather not using it) was key to managing that aspect for me. However, I did not have the amount of CA events that you do so I feel their recommendation of an ASV machine would very much apply to you. Not that they need my validation as they are much more knowledgeable about ASV machines than I am.

I would encourage you to continue to be persistent and to advocate for yourself. Not all doctors are interested in continuing to work with a patient to resolve an ongoing issue as it is just easier to move on to the next patient. As they say, "the squeaky wheel gets the oil." If you don't continue to advocate for yourself you will not get a resolution to your issue. Bringing up Sarcastic Dave (I hope he doesn't mind) I still remember all that he had to go through to get an ASV machine for his needs and it took a LOT of work on his part to make it happen. Clearly it is what he needed and I am really happy he was successful.

Lastly, I would just like to congratulate you for joining here and asking for the help you need and being willing to work with everyone here. If you continue and follow their advice, I can guarantee that things will work out a lot better for you than if you go at it alone. All the best to you!!
Post Reply Post Reply
No issue on my personal inclusion Marillion. I'm here to help by example. Self advocacy is a must in my opinion.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your advice and encouragement. I'm learning here that there is no magic formula that works for everyone, that there are so many variables that determine the effectiveness of the treatment, including my particular physiology. Everything you say about needing ASV makes sense. But I am dealing with a medical system that does not make it easy to get treatment that is not commonly prescribed by the "experts". And a doctor who considers questions from the patient to be criticism that he will not listen too.

Having said that - over the last 6 nights, following his recommendation to take a sleeping pill, I have experienced an improvement. AHI has been between 3 and 5, I seem to have managed to adjust the mask to reduce leakage, and I'm more alert when I wake up in the morning. Still don't feel like Superman (did I ever?), but I am functioning better. Reminds me of when I first managed to adjust to using the CPAP - it took a few weeks of consistent good readings till I felt less tired. I hope the same will happen now. 

Oh, another thing: I took his advice and bought the humidifier attachment for $140 (I had been bothered by the dry air, and was even waking up because of it). That also has helped.

This last night AHI was 3.2, almost all centrals, no large leaks.

Thanks again to all of you for all your help! I'll keep updating, hopefully with more good news. Maybe someone else will benefit from my experience, as I have benefited from yours.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe present your CA problem to the doc in a different way. If he'll look at OSCAR data, show it to him. Ask what he thinks should be done for events you can point out. Ask what he thinks about the flagged event at time X. Make him get involved by asking questions that demand explaining something. Phrase questions so that a yes or no answer is not an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
Believe it or not, he thinks it's a joke that I look at the data. He says my fatigue has nothing to do with the apneas. But if the sleeping pill reduces them to 3-4, why look for another solution?
Post Reply Post Reply
I've dealt with similar doctors. One retired so I didn't need to deal with him further. Maybe you need to consider replacing the doc if that's an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2020, 12:47 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I've dealt with similar doctors. One retired so I didn't need to deal with him further. Maybe you need to consider replacing the doc if that's an option.

This doctor is too young to retire in the near future...

But is it so terrible to take a sleeping pill and stay with 3-4 central apneas?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 286 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 108 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 129 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 180 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 173 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,623 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 272 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.