Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
CPAP High Pressure Pain Problems
I had "sever pain" in my back and pain moved to front side went to ER and had cat scan, blood work etc nothing found. Discovered later that CPAP machine was pumping to much air in my lungs and stomach the pain was so sever. Dr gave medical term airo something. I want to post this because Dr in ER had never heard of the problem that CPAP machines pump too much air in our bodies. I have friend that had same problem sever pain in back and front side went to doctor did all test and found no problem. She stopping using CPAP for week the sever pain stopped. The doctor and tech will adjust her pressure. She had to tell doctor wasn't going to use again to get them to adjust pressure. I found out this is a common problem. I told my doctor and tech and they adjusted my pressure right away to very low pressure until the pain goes away. The tech said some cases it takes 6 months for pain to completely go away. If you are using CPAP and having unexplained pain have your doctor check the pressure it may be too high as both ours were.Huh
12-09-2013 08:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: CPAP High Pressure Pain Problems
Aerophagia (var. aerophagy) is a condition of excessive air swallowing, which goes to the stomach.

Causes[edit]

Aerophagia is associated with chewing gum, smoking, drinking carbonated drinks, eating too fast, CPAP air pressure (if it is too high) and wearing loose dentures. In people with cervical spinal blockages, inhaling can cause air to enter the esophagus and stomach.[1]
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2013 08:28 PM by me50.)
12-09-2013 08:25 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(12-09-2013 08:19 PM)jkhanh Wrote:  If you are using CPAP and having unexplained pain have your doctor check the pressure it may be too high as both ours were.Huh
What CPAP machine are you using and at what setting (pressure, EPR, Ramp)
12-09-2013 08:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
jgjones1972 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 - 20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50I PulseOx

Aerophagia is not necessarily indicative that treatment pressure is too high, but often an indication that high treatment pressure was introduced too rapidly.

When I first started I experienced aerophagia at pressures over 12cmH2O...that doesn't mean that 12 was too high, quite the contrary, my AHI was through the roof at 12 and I still had very significant O2 desats at 15. Luckily my aerophagia didn't cause severe pain, just some cramping and quite a lot of "venting". I no longer have aerophagia and my pressure is set at a minimum of 18 and bumps up against 20 every night...95% runs in the 19s. The pressure is just something your body has to adjust to. For some of us, especially if it isn't painful, toughing it out pays off in the long run. For many, lowering pressure until aerophagia is minimalized and then slowly raising the pressure in small increments over time back to effective therapy level is the answer. Any time severe pain comes into the picture though, a trip to the doc is in order...also, avoid eating mentos and drinking diet coke at the same time...Laugh-a-lot
12-09-2013 09:21 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

It's simply that you have managed to swallow air in your sleep from the CPAP. It has not forced the air in there. It can't as the CPAP is not strong enough to do that on its own.

It is sometimes easy to fix without lowering the pressure.

Raise the head of your bed. You can do this by putting one or two 2x4s together and putting the legs of the bed on top of that. Or you can raise the head of the mattress with boards in the same manner. Or sleep with a wedge pillow.

Sleeping this way makes it harder for the air to be swallowed as it has to fight gravity.

Once you and your body get used to sleeping with a CPAP, this will no longer be necessary. I used to experience it each time my pressure was raised. Now that I have the Autoset, I don't have that problem any more. Mine was never all that painful, however, just lots of gas from both ends.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-09-2013 09:42 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi jkhanh,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What everyone has said so far.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.

trish6hundred
12-10-2013 08:14 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Newbie with Smart Card Reader Problems MissSnuffleupagus 3 139 12-01-2016 09:36 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Events way too high! sfrasher 22 1,189 11-22-2016 06:35 PM
Last Post: sfrasher
  High AHI (7.5) and don't know why fotomatt1 15 604 11-20-2016 05:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,255 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  [Pressure] Hypoxic- No Apneas- Pressure Too High? beardog 13 627 11-08-2016 06:19 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  Leaks (Too high?) sleepytimegal 9 433 11-06-2016 09:58 PM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
  Occasional problems with exhale relief function SLongridge 1 260 10-24-2016 05:29 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred