Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] How am I doing? New here
RE: How am I doing? New here
Sorry I have not been at my computer for a while...  It looks like you have some mouth breathing BUT you have cut down the large leaks.  This looks better!  We all know any leak is not good but we also know stopping all leaks is near impossible.  To see how bad your leak is, you can put a dotted line in the graph and anything below the line is not good by ok - the machine can handle it.  Anything above the line the machine can not give adequate therapy.

To put the dotted line in - put your mouse over the left side of the leak rate chart (next to the words leak rate) and right click.  next go down to dotted line and check the box that says "leak rate upper threshold".  You should see a dotted line AND I'm sure the leak rate will not be over that line so your machine can handle it.  Good job on working on you leak...
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, TC. In addition to adding the dotted line that staceyburke suggests, you could also resize the y axis on the leak chart, to something like 0-40. It'll make it easier to see what's going on.

I think you're ready for EPR of 3. Do you want to give it a try?

When you post your next chart, would you mention how the night went subjectively and how you felt in the morning? This is important information.

And what is happening with the tape? Is it getting loose from saliva? Are you still taking it off?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2021, 09:13 AM)staceyburke Wrote: Sorry I have not been at my computer for a while...  It looks like you have some mouth breathing BUT you have cut down the large leaks.  This looks better!  We all know any leak is not good but we also know stopping all leaks is near impossible.  To see how bad your leak is, you can put a dotted line in the graph and anything below the line is not good by ok - the machine can handle it.  Anything above the line the machine can not give adequate therapy.

To put the dotted line in - put your mouse over the left side of the leak rate chart (next to the words leak rate) and right click.  next go down to dotted line and check the box that says "leak rate upper threshold".  You should see a dotted line AND I'm sure the leak rate will not be over that line so your machine can handle it.  Good job on working on you leak...
Thank you! 

Turns out a nasal solution works best for me as far as leaks and therapy is concerned. Pretty stoked!

I'll check out your suggestion tonight.
(03-05-2021, 12:15 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Hello, TC.  In addition to adding the dotted line that staceyburke suggests, you could also resize the y axis on the leak chart, to something like 0-40.  It'll make it easier to see what's going on.

I think you're ready for EPR of 3.  Do you want to give it a try?

When you post your next chart, would you mention how the night went subjectively and how you felt in the morning?  This is important information.

And what is happening with the tape?  Is it getting loose from saliva?  Are you still taking it off?

I'll give EPR 3 a try tonight and will include how I felt. No problem.

With the tape, I'm not puckering my lips enough so they end up spreading open slightly, probably due to saliva. 

I guess it helps to follow the manufacturer recommended directions.  :thinking-about:
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had a tough time this weekend. I don't think alcohol and therapy mix well together. Went out Friday for a co-workers promotion and had too much to drink..doh..

Nothing for Friday. Was super hungover yesterday (Saturday) and I think the OSCAR data shows that. 

Upped EPR to 3. After my nap I still felt super sleepy? Like very relaxed. Similar feeling when I bumped to EPR 2. 

Last night until I woke up, my cheeks constantly were filling up with air even though my lips were tightly sealed. I believe that's evident with the massive amounts of CA. From what I was able to discern, it felt like my throat was opening up to mouth breath. I was able to reproduce it this morning. Every time I was about to fall back asleep, I'd have an attack of chimp munk cheeks. I was constantly blowing it out through the opening of the somnifix tape :/

Not sure if this is caused via EPR or just the ruff weekend. One thing to note. I was having chimpmunk cheeks with the F30I as well but it was not that severe as last night.

Leaks definitely improved! I believe it's safe to say I can probably knock down the MAX to 13, even less. The max seems to be pushed by leaks, not by events.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
That was a boatload of CAs! Yes, no way yet to tell whether the EPR was the culprit. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, and it also can cause wakefulness starting partway into the night.

Alcohol might also be the culprit with the chipmunk cheeks, because it may relax the muscles in your jaw and tongue that otherwise would be helping you seal off your mouth.

So let's see another chart when you've done less merry-making!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2021, 02:09 PM)Dormeo Wrote: That was a boatload of CAs!  Yes, no way yet to tell whether the EPR was the culprit.  Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, and it also can cause wakefulness starting partway into the night.

Alcohol might also be the culprit with the chipmunk cheeks, because it may relax the muscles in your jaw and tongue that otherwise would be helping you seal off your mouth.

So let's see another chart when you've done less merry-making!

Hmm! You do have a point! Thank you! Let's see what happens tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Anything past or close to 6am, I was already awake. Had a tough time falling asleep due to work stress. No alcohol! but the effect was still felt. Leaks look to be locked in, super proud. 
EPR 3
MAX 14

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, good job on the leaks! And no chipmunk cheeks?

The one zoomed in CA shows flow limitation followed by a RERA (respiratory effort related arousal). The RERA involved some deeper breathing, which probably washed out a little CO2 and temporarily reduced your drive to breathe, resulting in the CA. In this scenario, the FL and RERA are the bad guys; the CA is just breathing less after breathing more -- and probably while semi-awake.

So I'm inclined to say stick with your current settings and we'll watch what happens with the CAs. Sometimes the body adapts to these little CO2 washouts and maintains the drive to breathe. In any case, the EPR helps with FLs, which seem to be contributing to your sleep disruptions.

Keep us posted, would you?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2021, 11:13 AM)Dormeo Wrote: Oh, good job on the leaks!  And no chipmunk cheeks?  

The one zoomed in CA shows flow limitation followed by a RERA (respiratory effort related arousal).  The RERA involved some deeper breathing, which probably washed out a little CO2 and temporarily reduced your drive to breathe, resulting in the CA.  In this scenario, the FL and RERA are the bad guys; the CA is just breathing less after breathing more -- and probably while semi-awake.

So I'm inclined to say stick with your current settings and we'll watch what happens with the CAs.  Sometimes the body adapts to these little CO2 washouts and maintains the drive to breathe.  In any case, the EPR helps with FLs, which seem to be contributing to your sleep disruptions.

Keep us posted, would you?

Absolutely! Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Update -

Since 4/20, my AHI has been under 3AHI.  I think my body is now finally starting to adjust. No issues with EPR 3 and somnifix strips. Finally got my tongue trained, no more blowouts. Attached a couple nights from this week. Picked up pillows for the N30i and looking forward to trying those out tonight. I don't think I need to adjust anything at this moment. Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.