Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] How can I minimize discomfort from vent air
How can I minimize discomfort from vent air
I am a very new cpap user. 2 nights so far. I can tell it is going to help, eventually.... on the two mornings I have used it I have awakened pain free and without a headache and actually alert. This has never happened before Smile two hours later I want to go back to sleep in the worst possible way!!!

I am struggling with getting to sleep in the first place, and a couple of issues tend to wake me up. One of the worst offenders for drifting off to sleep in the first place is the constant stream of cool air out the front of my face - I absolutely hate having cold air blowing on me. How do people mitigate this???

(the thing that wakes me after I fall asleep is the *smells* coming through the cpap!!! the *dog* is getting turfed from the room eeew )
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How can I minimize discomfort from vent air
First, welcome to the forum Smile

People try many different things, from changing masks, to taping stuff to redirect the air, etc...

More will be along soon with their ideas Smile
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DariaVader,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Some mask vent quieter and less than others. For example, I use the Resmed Airfit P 10 and hardly notice it's venting.
You might ask to try different types of masks 'till you find one that works for you.
Hang in there for other suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
What mask are you using?

I also use the P10 and the venting is much better diffused.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
it's the resmed swift fx for her nasal pillows. they didnt have the p10 for us to try
Post Reply Post Reply
it doesn't make a lot of noise, unless it's blocked, just wind. I tuck my hands near my face and the wind on them ..... keeps me searching for blanket to put between them and the vent, and then i get the vent blocked. I am a side sleeperand i put my top arm on top of a pillow to keep it from pinching a nerve and going numb. The pillow and the vent and the blanket and the wind.... ay yaiy
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, nearly all masks have this problem. Some are worse that others. Like the others have said, the P10 has a diffuses on its vent that slows down the air so it comes out gentler. That's the only good thing about the mask (in my opinion). Some masks have the vent on a swivel so you can move the air flow slightly (very slightly). Some come out a single hole like a cyclone, some come out a whole bunch of holes, etc etc etc.

In your situation, because of where you need to put your arm, there's not much you are going to be able to do except either cover the arm or your face. I have found that fleece makes less noise than the less fluffy sheet. So try draping a towel or a piece of fleece over your arm, or make a sleeve for yourself.

You can also give the P10 a try. Perhaps the supplier can order one for you.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2014, 08:17 PM)Peter_C Wrote: First, welcome to the forum Smile

People try many different things, from changing masks, to taping stuff to redirect the air, etc...

More will be along soon with their ideas Smile

Thanks for the welcome Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2014, 11:25 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Unfortunately, nearly all masks have this problem. Some are worse that others. Like the others have said, the P10 has a diffuses on its vent that slows down the air so it comes out gentler. That's the only good thing about the mask (in my opinion). Some masks have the vent on a swivel so you can move the air flow slightly (very slightly). Some come out a single hole like a cyclone, some come out a whole bunch of holes, etc etc etc.

In your situation, because of where you need to put your arm, there's not much you are going to be able to do except either cover the arm or your face. I have found that fleece makes less noise than the less fluffy sheet. So try draping a towel or a piece of fleece over your arm, or make a sleeve for yourself.

You can also give the P10 a try. Perhaps the supplier can order one for you.

Mine is on a swivel. i swivel it so its not buried in the pillow under my head, and that's when it blows on my arms and hands. Sleeves will work in the winter - maybe - I will give them a try and maybe by summer I wont give a hoot. If I can make this mask work, I will - I am pretty sure I wont like any of them until I get used to them. It was the best of the 3 they gave us to try.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used the FX as my first mask, the swivel with the angle and the exhale port, it makes quite the stream of breeze cold air, I used to turn mine and then use the blanket to deflect the air. The for her at least is a bit smaller than the for him but I presume you are having the same issues I had. I never got used to it, but I did deal with it, mostly by turning the swivel and using my blanket.

I now use the P10 and it diffuses the air much better and doesn't create such a breeze, but there is still some windage. Just better on it than the FX.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 465 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,787 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,413 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 550 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 702 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Moving From RM S9 to Airsense10 -- Great Discomfort hypnos 3 410 11-10-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: DaveL
Sad [Treatment] Weird Flow Rate/Minute Vent OK Laptop 0 402 10-28-2023, 12:40 AM
Last Post: OK Laptop

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.