Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] How can I minimize discomfort from vent air
RE: How can I minimize discomfort from vent air
You will most likely get used to the noise after a while. Right now, it is all new and the noise is far too loud to you. I see it as a built in white noise machine.

The Breeze, wow, it is a great mask and I love it but, wow. Freakin' cyclone coming out of that vent. If nothing was in front of it, it was mostly silent. But if anything was within a few feet of it, there was a freight train in the bedroom.

I actually like the vent air in the summer. I often sleep with my wrist in the exhaust in an effort to keep cool.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using Activa LT nasal mask for the last 4 years, an old fashioned type mask, bulky mask with forehead support
Its the most comfortable mask with good seal tried so far and I would not trade it for any other mask ... ymmv
Flexible light cushion and extremely quiet vents is the best part

Post Reply Post Reply
I used 'nasal' masks for years and years, so I bought 5-6 spares in case they changed them in any way (they did, and broke it in my book) - anyhow, ever since realizing my therapy is much better with a Full Face mask (FFM), I have been searching and trying them all, and have yet to find one I am happy with for more than a few nights at a time.

My point being; whether you are brand new to being a hose-head, or have many years of practice, finding a mask you like is both hard and a pain.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Daria! Go Ducks!

I used the swift mask early on too. I gave up on it because of the uncomfortably strong airflow from the vents. I just could not figure out where/how to lay that it wouldn't be a pain in the bed.

The one good thing about it is it scared the miserable cats off the bed. So that was good.

But I moved to the P10 mask and have been very pleased with it. Sooner or later I think everyone will use the P10. Especially Paula. Resistance is futile.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
I agree that the vent air blowing around your face is very annoying. Why can't the vent holes be connected to a hose that would carry that air a couple of feet away from your face? The hose could be bundled with the inlet hose for a foot or two. Is there a reason this wouldn't work?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2014, 08:11 PM)DariaVader Wrote: One of the worst offenders for drifting off to sleep in the first place is the constant stream of cool air out the front of my face - I absolutely hate having cold air blowing on me. How do people mitigate this???

It's hard to believe, but after just a little while it stops being a bother. I used to adjust the direction trying to get it just so, now I just ignore it.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2014, 04:25 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(11-10-2014, 08:11 PM)DariaVader Wrote: One of the worst offenders for drifting off to sleep in the first place is the constant stream of cool air out the front of my face - I absolutely hate having cold air blowing on me. How do people mitigate this???

It's hard to believe, but after just a little while it stops being a bother. I used to adjust the direction trying to get it just so, now I just ignore it.

I believe you. last night was night 3 and I slept *hard* for 9.5 hours. No wakey. I gotta say that the thing at the top of my mind for the last 3 days is sleep. It's all I want to do!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
The old Respironics Comfortgel Nasal mask used to have an elbow with that vented back (no diffuser) in the direction of the tubing. So the air stream was generally away from my face and also didn't blow into my sleep partner's face.

When the design changed to vent outwards (with a diffuser) I simply replaced the elbow (with the vent) on the new mask with the elbow and vent from my old mask for several years.

For that mask, having the hose come up to my mask provided the least air irritation. For those masks with the 45 degree (or even worse) diffuser, I found that routing the hose from the top of my head down to the mask provided me with the most releif, regrettably however, at the risk of blowing air on my sleeping partner - so I have to face the other way. The Wisp, and others, actually permit routing the hose this way. I am sure that other headgear could be modified/adapted to do this too.

Recently, I spoke with my ophthalmologist about air flow from CPAP masks and he suggested that there could be serious consequences if such an air stream continued to blow into the eyes. So just getting used to it, adjusting to it, may not be a good idea. If you wake up with sore eyes, then you definitely need to deal with it - fast. And sleeping through the annoyance/pain, either because you have taken a sleep aid or are just too tired, may not be good either.

So these air streams are not just annoying. They could lead to serious problems.

I too cannot understand why vents are designed as they are, these days.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2014, 11:14 PM)DariaVader Wrote: it doesn't make a lot of noise, unless it's blocked, just wind. I tuck my hands near my face and the wind on them ..... keeps me searching for blanket to put between them and the vent, and then i get the vent blocked. I am a side sleeperand i put my top arm on top of a pillow to keep it from pinching a nerve and going numb. The pillow and the vent and the blanket and the wind.... ay yaiy

I just changed to the ResMed AirFit P10. My old nasal mask behaved exactly as you described. The P10 has a completely silent diffuser. My DME balked at changing masks so I just bought one myself online. At the "largest internet retailer", it was $79.95 with free shipping for Prime members. You can probably find it cheaper if you're willing to dig through the vendor list on this web site. Since you're a newbie, your DME would likely be more cooperative and order you one. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask. Lots of patients churn through several masks initially to find the one that works best.
Post Reply Post Reply
IF a P10 will work for you that is likely the BEST answer by a long shot.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here to vent Razorpoke 1 24 22 minutes ago
Last Post: Nightynite
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,521 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 497 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,591 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 580 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 745 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Moving From RM S9 to Airsense10 -- Great Discomfort hypnos 3 429 11-10-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.