Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] How can I minimize discomfort from vent air
RE: How can I minimize discomfort from vent air
(11-11-2014, 07:01 PM)Kritiker Wrote: The old Respironics Comfortgel Nasal mask used to have an elbow with that vented back (no diffuser) in the direction of the tubing. So the air stream was generally away from my face and also didn't blow into my sleep partner's face.

When the design changed to vent outwards (with a diffuser) I simply replaced the elbow (with the vent) on the new mask with the elbow and vent from my old mask for several years.

For that mask, having the hose come up to my mask provided the least air irritation. For those masks with the 45 degree (or even worse) diffuser, I found that routing the hose from the top of my head down to the mask provided me with the most releif, regrettably however, at the risk of blowing air on my sleeping partner - so I have to face the other way. The Wisp, and others, actually permit routing the hose this way. I am sure that other headgear could be modified/adapted to do this too.

Recently, I spoke with my ophthalmologist about air flow from CPAP masks and he suggested that there could be serious consequences if such an air stream continued to blow into the eyes. So just getting used to it, adjusting to it, may not be a good idea. If you wake up with sore eyes, then you definitely need to deal with it - fast. And sleeping through the annoyance/pain, either because you have taken a sleep aid or are just too tired, may not be good either.

So these air streams are not just annoying. They could lead to serious problems.

I too cannot understand why vents are designed as they are, these days.

With the proviso that I do not have experience with very many masks, I have never seen one where the vents directed vented air toward the eyes. If one has air blowing into one's eyes it would seem more reasonable to me that it is from leaks or from deflection of the vent air by some external source. The answer would be to correct the leaks or reposition something that is deflecting the vent air flow.

My first FFM leaked into my eyes and it would wake me up every time. I tried everything to correct the problem but to no avail. The answer was a different mask.

Did your ophthalmologist mention any of the "serious consequences"? Was he considering air blowing into your eyes when they were open or closed?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
If you stick with the FX, you might do as I did when I had one, which I did for the first years of my CPAP usage - I ran the hose up over the head and attached it to the top head band, then put a tube arrangement over the exhaust port to direct the air upwards way from everything. The tube has to be taped around the swivel joint to prevent air escape in that direction, and the must be of sufficient diameter (the same or larger than the hose on the FX) to allow for the air to freely flow and not back up and build up CO2.

I simply bent over a tram ticket into a "u" shape to form the tube and used a ton of scotch tape to stiffen it and give it shape, leaving the bottom of the "U" open and taping it to either side of the hose.

However, I must say that I was a test subject for the P10, and when I switched back to the FX for a few days, I could no longer bear the weight and discomfort and noise of the FX. So when the time comes to switch masks out, which depends on your insurance, I would ask to be given a P10. You will be amazed at the difference, despite the daft head band.
Post Reply Post Reply
And once again a thread goes the way of Toy Story, "To infinity and beyond on a P10" lol. Like I always say "try a P10 it could change your life, and your therapy". Look at me quoting me Big Grin
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I read that the P10 headgear is not adjustable... I have a small round head (with short flat eustachian tubes like a child) --- have my doubts about a statically sized mask fitting well, unless its a kiddie one Tongue with the fx, i have it cinched up and the xs pillows installed. on a side note... there was a poor guy in my sextet of cpap recipients with a smaller head and he ended up with an fx for *her* all pretty pastel pink. whyyyyyy do they think if its for ladies it needs to be pink???? :gag:
Post Reply Post Reply
The P10 is adjustable, in the sense that it stretches, and how much you open the bifurcated rear portion of the strap adjusts tightness to looseness. I is not for everyone, nor does it work on everyone. Alternately there is the Nuance nasal pillows from Respironics, which is vaguely their version of the P10- with and adjustable strap, but the airflow is through the centre joint like the FX and while not as hard as the FX, it is harder than the P10.

Alternately you can mod the strap to your taste (their are several threads here on modifying the strap of the P10, with pictures). I have yet to meet a mask that does not need some user modifications, although I have managed to make the P10 work without major mods, just minor stretches and pulls.....
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to know. I may have ask for one!
Post Reply Post Reply
What you're prejudice against pink? What's wrong with pink?? Dielaughing

Really though try a P10, don't consider any preconceived notions about it or the lack of an adjustable strap etc., just try it with an open mind. If you find you don't like it then no worries. Remember, nothing ventured nothing gained.

By the way, you should also be aware that there are many sellers on the supplier list who will take back any mask for any reason within 30 days. So it may pay for you too keep buying a different mask till you find one you like. The key here is to get a mask YOU feel comfortable with. For me it was a P10, as for many others. For Paula02 it is hers too, she doesn't know it yet Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2014, 05:33 PM)DocWils Wrote: the bifurcated rear portion ...............

...and they said I use big words.....

(11-12-2014, 07:13 PM)Galactus Wrote: What you're prejudice against pink? What's wrong with pink?? Dielaughing

Cut her some slack. She's from Oregon...... We don't do pink.

Mossy green or nuthin!

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2014, 07:44 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(11-12-2014, 07:13 PM)Galactus Wrote: What you're prejudice against pink? What's wrong with pink?? Dielaughing

Cut her some slack. She's from Oregon...... We don't do pink.

Mossy green or nuthin!

1- They do pink everywhere!
2- The mossy green you speak of is mossy puce, and it's nasty looking.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a small head, or a large head, or a head that is not the same size as the researcher who designed the P10, the mask's headgear will need modification. Some people cut it and add velcro or pins or tie it on. Some just shove the biggest pillows so far up their nose it eliminates leaks and it can't come loose. But smart people realize that a non-adjustable headgear and a mask with a hose lacking a swivel is beyond silly.

The Nuance is a decent mask. It has its problems. All masks do. There is no "one size fits all" headgear or the best pillows ever. The Nuance pillows do not go up inside the nose like other pillows. They sit just outside the nostrils and just barely inside, more to direct the airflow than to form a seal with a wedge. The headgear is adjustable. There have been problems with the back strap. Before you bring it home, open the package and examine the back strap. It is very wide and super soft. If it is also super, super tacky and sticks to it self exceptionally well (as in it is a problem to peel off), put it back and request the latest version. They have fixed the flaw. The vent is also on the swivel on the hose. It can be aimed up and out or down.

There's a plethora of masks out there. Keep trying. What works for me and any of us may not work for you. Many of us went through a LOT of masks to find the right one. And we still keep looking. Don't "settle".
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 467 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,797 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,416 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 550 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 702 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Moving From RM S9 to Airsense10 -- Great Discomfort hypnos 3 410 11-10-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: DaveL
Sad [Treatment] Weird Flow Rate/Minute Vent OK Laptop 0 402 10-28-2023, 12:40 AM
Last Post: OK Laptop

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.