Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] How do I access the motor on a Resmed S7?
How do I access the motor on a Resmed S7?
Hi all. I'm new to the forum. I've already searched for what I need, but didn't find it anywhere.

I have a 4 years old Resmed S7 CPAP. This week, it started to make a really awful noise. The machine that was supposed to make me sleep well is keeping me from sleep! So I took it to the shop and they said the problem is in the motor and they don't have that kind of motor anymore.

Well, I could as well buy a new machine, but I was thinking about trying a DYI approach to the problem. So I opened it uup just to find out the motor is sealed inside a plastic case. Does anyone know if there's a way other than brute force to open this case and access the motor? I want to try and clean it, maybe replace some bearings and see if it works.

Thank you all in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How do I access the motor on a Resmed S7?
Hi marcurelio,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know how you would do that but hang in there and someone will know how to help you.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2013, 06:30 PM)marcurelio Wrote: I have a 4 years old Resmed S7 CPAP. This week, it started to make a really awful noise. The machine that was supposed to make me sleep well is keeping me from sleep! So I took it to the shop and they said the problem is in the motor and they don't have that kind of motor anymore.

Well, I could as well buy a new machine, but I was thinking about trying a DYI approach to the problem. So I opened it uup just to find out the motor is sealed inside a plastic case. Does anyone know if there's a way other than brute force to open this case and access the motor? I want to try and clean it, maybe replace some bearings and see if it works.

I don't know how to get into the motor, but are you sure it is the motor? What if the fan came loose or is wobbling?

If it is the bearings I doubt you will be able to fix it. For sure Resmed will not sell parts to an end user. You might check the Supplier list here (there is a link at the top of every page on Apnea Board). A couple of them do repairs. Worth a phone call. Otherwise, you can hope that the bearings are standard so you can buy from a bearing supply store.

Considering the age of the machine I would consider getting an up to date replacement. I got an S9 Autoset from Supplier #2 for $859 with free shipping, a top of the line machine that is data capable. But if money is an issue I understand. There was a recent thread here about organizations that help people who need CPAP and are without money or insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply
You better off getting newer machine
JJJ already mentioned Supplier #2, They sell used machine at good prices
For machines choices, Read archangle choices
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Inside View of a ResMed S9 CPAP machine ... see post #1
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...AP-Machine

View Inside a Respironics REMstar Pro CPAP Machine ... see post #5
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...AP-machine

Post Reply Post Reply
My bet is that the motor has no bearings at all. Most likely they are bushings and they are just worn slap out.
If you can find a compatible motor with ball bearings that will likely last you until the machine's electronics die.

Go ahead and take it apart. It's already broken anyway, right?

Good luck and take photographs!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
This response is a "better late than never" one but.....

I've been using an S7 since 2004. The blower was gradually getting louder as time and usage cropped up. I'm also a CBET (certified biomedical equipment technician) with over 20 years in the field including ventilators and anesthesia systems. They still would not sell me the blower! But I had my mask provider in Denver send Resmed the unit for evaluation. Resmed charged me $125 to replace the blower with a new one. I thought this was a reasonable price, and a lot cheaper than a replacement.

I hope this helpe someone with an S7 in the future.
Post Reply Post Reply
Found an old thread with instructions for disassembling the S6 motor. Maybe it's similar enough to help you.

http://s7.zetaboards.com/Apnea_Board/topic/8431488/1/

Do at least pressure-test the unit before using it if you do any modifications. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Mr Shelby.  i read your post about the S7 Blower and would like to order one from Resmed.  However, I do not see it in their website. May I know how you ordered please.  Thank you.

Gabe Lazo

Hello Mr Shelby.  i read your post about the S7 Blower and would like to order one from Resmed.  However, I do not see it in their website. May I know how you ordered please.  Thank you.

Gabe Lazo
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2017, 08:09 PM)gglazo Wrote: Hello Mr Shelby.  i read your post about the S7 Blower and would like to order one from Resmed.  However, I do not see it in their website. May I know how you ordered please.  Thank you.

Gabe Lazo

Don't expect a reply from Mr. Shelby. He posted once on Apnea Board, four years ago.
If you need to send your machine in for service, you will need a DME supplier to send it in to Resmed--either your local DME, or supplier no. 27 or 28 on the supplier list. (Click on the link to the supplier list at the top of the page.) The S7 is a very old machine. If finances are keeping you from replacing your machine, you may want to consider buying a used machine from supplier no. 2. They sell used machines starting at $95.
Post Reply Post Reply
Holy crap that was reaching WAY back in the drawer to pull up thread that's been dead for four years. Quite the forum bump.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,911 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  S9 Blower Motor vk3hjq 105 16,368 01-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: Julio Bigtime
  Changing Motor on AirCurve10 ASV Stockton2Malone2 1 279 01-22-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 Reptile 13 12,264 01-21-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  Do Doctors Even Have Access to Flow Limits Info? paulag1955 16 698 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: dataq1
Question [CPAP] Reset motor run hours after new motor djforrestidaho 9 815 12-06-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  S9/AS10 Blower Motor Tester vk3hjq 7 1,884 12-03-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: FaceInTheCrowd

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.