Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] How do I adjust CPAP for CSA?
How do I adjust CPAP for CSA?
Is there a general path to using CPAP to treat central sleep apnea? Do I want more pressure? Less pressure? Lower EPR?

Before I started any CPAP, I only had obstructed apnea (to the best of my knowledge). A CPAP at a pressure of 7 or 8 seems to stop obstructed apnea, but makes me experience tons of clear airway events. My brain just forgets to breath, and I often wake up terrified I am drowning.

My Dr. ordered a titration sleep study to get my CPAP dialed in, but its in like 8 weeks. Willing to play around some more to try and get this better. So curious if anyone else has found general idea (more or less pressure) to treat CSA?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How do I adjust CPAP for CSA?
It is very hard to help with out any data.  We use OSCAR charts for this data.  It totally free download and to use, it can be downloaded from the top of the site.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
data attached, but my question still stands for where to start.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Many people have central apnea when they 1st start and as the body gets use to Cpap the centrals deminish with use. You did not have any central events until the last hour.

We usually lower EPR until you get use to the therapy. You could try turning EPR OFF while you adjust. The thing to look for is if flow limits increase without EPR.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2023, 04:36 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Many people have central apnea when they 1st start and as the body gets use to Cpap the centrals deminish with use. You did not have any central events until the last hour.

We usually lower EPR until you get use to the therapy.  You could try turning EPR OFF while you adjust.  The thing to look for is if flow limits increase without EPR.

More time is fine.

I am cranked to 3 EPR. Do I jump all the way to 0, or try 2, then 1?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would suggest reducing the EPR in steps, giving about a week to get used to each step. Your CA should reduce, and flow limits and hypopnea may increase. At the moment, those are both low, and I wouldn't expect much increase.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help me adjust settings from OSCAR to CPAP deirdrepen 2 290 01-14-2024, 11:18 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  Using Vcom : do i adjust my EPR? theredheadsaid 65 7,067 09-09-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Equipment] Adjust time on Airsense 11 Liveoak86 2 601 08-19-2023, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Liveoak86
Sad Please review my data and help me adjust my settings DC2Shogun 61 4,378 08-13-2023, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help me understand / adjust Aircurve10 ASV vs S9VPAP settings patrickbrem 2 371 08-08-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: patrickbrem
  Is it time to adjust up or down? SleeplessNSeattle 1 454 07-16-2023, 02:36 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can’t adjust to nasal mask HRU1923 6 916 06-11-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: HRU1923

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.