Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] How do I know if my CPAP is working for me?
RE: How do I know if my CPAP is working for me?
This would be a good time to upgrade to a fully data capable machine and you can keep the old one as a back up.

Sleep-well
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2014, 03:44 AM)Gabby Wrote:
(04-10-2014, 03:09 AM)p471p457p456 Wrote: [quote='herbm' pid='65520' dateline='1397103196']
And YES, you either need to monitor your data (after you obtain some) OR see a sleep doc to be tested.

You have no idea what the machine is doing for you.

If you are treated effectively that is great -- if not, you are either wasting your time and money and comfort on this machine OR you are not getting the full benefits of effective treatment which could cause long term damage to your body.

How do you FEEL compared to pre-CPAP?

I really don't feel any different other that my wife says I don't snore when using the clap.
[/quote

Welcome to the forum!

I am sorry you are feeling no benefits from sleeping with your mask and machine every night for near three years.
I can understand you wondering if the machine is doing what it is supposed to be doing.
You have been told now that your machine is not recording anything.
I personally think it would be worth buying a new machine so you could read what was happening to your sleep patterns every night.
I would also go for another sleep test. I am not sure how the other more experienced hoseheads would feel about that, I am sure they will lead you in the right direction.

I know I would follow whatever they advised.

I hope you can sort out what needs to be done to get you feeling well.

Good luck.
I think I will get another machine that will record my data so I can monitor it. Went for a second sleep study about 3 months ago. Same diagnosis...mild to moderate OSA and upped my cpap pressure from original of 9 to 14. Thanks for you advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
My original titration resulted in a prescribed pressure of 13 cmH2O. The first machine I bought was a (fortunately data-capable) fixed pressure CPAP machine. Only after looking at the data did I realize that the treatment was not fully effective. To make a long story short, I ended buying another Auto-CPAP machine which I now use, and that machine reports a 90% pressure setting of around 16 cmH2O. Oh, and my nightly AHI's are typically below 1.0, with the very occasional excursion to the 1.1 levels.

Just like people saying you shouldn't evaluate a change in treatment before trying it for at least a week or two, I wouldn't trust a titration that was done for only a part of one night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it is great you have made the decision to upgrade your CPAP machine.
You will feel much better when you are able to see what is going on on a regular basis.
Do your homework and decide which machine you want to buy.
The good people here will be able to give you any advice if needed.

Please keep us posted once you purchase the new machine so we can see how you are feeling.
All the best!
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
I am going to purchase an auto CPAP (APAP?) machine. Are all the machines that record data compatible with all the programs that read the data, or do I need to pick a machine and then look for the program that will work with that machine? I'm looking for a program that would be easy to understand (or easy to learn) as I am new to all the jargon and acronyms. Also, any thoughts on whether used machines are safe?
Post Reply Post Reply
The two most popular Auto-CPAP machines are the ResMed S9 AutoSet and the Philips Respironics System 1 60 Series Auto. Both of those are supported by a free program called "SleepyHead". Additionally, the ResMed machine is supported by ResMed software (freely available) called ResScan. The PRS1 machine is supported by Philips Respironics software (freely available) called Encore Basic.
Post Reply Post Reply
Used machines from reputable people are safe, others not necessarily. Vendor #2 on our supplier list (link at the top of the page) sells a number of gently used and open box machines. We have heard a lot of good reports on his machines. The Sleepyhead software works for both ResMed and Philips machines, if I remember correctly. Thee are other pieces of software for specific machines. Most of the people on the board feel that the Sleepyhead software is the most user friendly.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a ResMed machine and use SleepyHead software.
I have no problems, so if I am able to understand it (to a certain degree, to get by) I would say most people can.
Apparently the suppliers listed here including the 2nd hand ones have excellent credentials and I would not be afraid of using them.
Good luck.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2014, 12:49 PM)RonWessels Wrote: The two most popular Auto-CPAP machines are the ResMed S9 AutoSet and the Philips Respironics System 1 60 Series Auto. Both of those are supported by a free program called "SleepyHead". Additionally, the ResMed machine is supported by ResMed software (freely available) called ResScan. The PRS1 machine is supported by Philips Respironics software (freely available) called Encore Basic.

I am considering purchasing either PRS1 60 Auto (OR) Resmed S9 Autoset. Any advice on which one?

I had old RemStar Plus (pre 2007) for 8+yrs and it still works. I switched to Fisher & Paykel icon which I really hate. Want to know if anyone using these two above can provide some advice. While there is a thread on review of Resmed that I looked already but none exists for PRS1 60.

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2014, 10:41 AM)aselvan Wrote: I am considering purchasing either PRS1 60 Auto (OR) Resmed S9 Autoset. Any advice on which one?
Both top-notch APAP machines, detect central apnea (PR called it clear airways), uses SD card and supported by free readily available software

As for which one ... 2 reason why S9 AutoSet
1- Expiratory Pressure Relief (EPR) http://www.resmed.com/int/patients_and_f...c=patients

PR also comes with exhale pressure relief but works slight differently than ResMed EPR
Flex Family http://www.healthcare.philips.com/au_en/.../cflex.wpd

2- Data on the LCD screen is more detailed than PR machines and report unintentional leak (mask leak plus mouth leak minus mask vents leak rate). ResMed define acceptable leak below 24 L/m as the machine have no problem compensating at this level
PR on the other hand tells you no such thing, just % time in large leak and total leak (mask vents leak rate plus mask leak plus mouth leak), you need to be a mathematician to work it out

The disadvantage of the S9 AutoSet is the price, cost more than PRS1 Auto

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nore cpap is working, again ? Jst617 5 185 03-31-2024, 07:10 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 148 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 472 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 225 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 224 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 521 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Treatment] new to this - is it working? human 7 594 11-04-2023, 11:45 AM
Last Post: human

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.