Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] How do you get used to CPAP?
How do you get used to CPAP?
Hey all,

About 3 weeks into this whole CPAP thing and I'm finding it worse than not using anything at all! So absolutely tired today and was swallowing air and expelling it in every way possible through at least some of the night and morning.

For my first 2 weeks I was on auto set from 6 to 13 but after a followup visit I was set to 8.6 fixed with a 20 minute ramp up from 6. During that time I also switched from an Eson to a Airfit F10 which seems to work much better.

Ramp on or off doesn't seem to make much difference, but I do find that I'm swallowing air regularly. I tried adding an extra pillow to raise up a little and that helps somewhat. But not a whole lot. And I'm definitely not keen on the 'trick' of leaning my head forward.

My CPAP clinician (Aussie equivalent of DME) says it'll just take some weeks to get used to it. But with work being quite demanding at the moment, it's driving me nuts!

What do I do to speed up this process, if it will even work for me at all? I don't think I'm too bothered by the actual wearing of the mask, it's sort of comforting. Right now it's this swallowing air thing that's getting to me.

Some more backstory here if you're interested: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ter-splint
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How do you get used to CPAP?
Though I am sure everyone will say "Whoa....don't do it!", I use a nasal mask and tape my mouth shut at night. (I fold the ends of the tape so it is easy to rip off).

I'm guessing if your mouth is shut tight, there is no way you can swallow air.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I was using a nasal mask before but my nose would get blocked with it. I hear some people have great success with nasal pillows and maybe a chin strap but I'm not so keen on that after my week or so with the nasal mask. I guess that's another option though.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use nasal spray and take two Benadryl before bedtime.

Yeah...both are addictive, but I can live with a two dollar a month monkey-on-my-back. Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2015, 07:27 PM)eddie willers Wrote: Though I am sure everyone will say "Whoa....don't do it!", I use a nasal mask and tape my mouth shut at night. (I fold the ends of the tape so it is easy to rip off).

I'm guessing if your mouth is shut tight, there is no way you can swallow air.

Sorry Eddie, that's not true. You know you can swallow a bit of food with your mouth closed. There is a valve in in throat called the epiglottis -- sort of a flap valve -- that keeps the path to the esophagus closed and the trachea open so we can breathe. When we swallow, that flips.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiglottis

Under CPAP pressure that valve may not hold; and the stomach may fill with air -- that's called aerophagia. It's not uncommon; nor is it all that frequent. Or, swallowing while under CPAP pressure may result in the same issue.

It is important to keep the mouth from leaking air when using any mask other than a full-face. Tape, not such a good idea. Options are a FFM or chin strap.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2015, 07:33 PM)dannyhawaii Wrote: Yeah, I was using a nasal mask before but my nose would get blocked with it. I hear some people have great success with nasal pillows and maybe a chin strap but I'm not so keen on that after my week or so with the nasal mask. I guess that's another option though.

Instead of waiting until you go to bed to mask up, try moving your machine out of the bedroom and wear your mask sitting up reading or watching television, or sit in a recliner. This way your not thinking about breathing or swallowing air, or the congestion.
This may help you aclimate to therapy faster. Do this a little each night, then move it back to your room.
I thought I read you use the EPR setting, try setting it to 3....you can always change it back.
Just want to add that I also suffer from nasal congestion and sinus issues, and the nasal pillow mask really does help keep your nasal passages open.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do not move machine with water in the tank.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Under CPAP pressure that valve may not hold; and the stomach may fill with air -- that's called aerophagia. It's not uncommon; nor is it all that frequent. Or, swallowing while under CPAP pressure may result in the same issue.

Interesting....learn something everyday.

BTW... While shopping for my new box today (selected the new PR model DS560BT) I saw the new Amara View FF mask.

I ordered it and will see if it stops my dry mouth.

Psssttt... keep it on the down low, but for those who want tape, I found what I consider to be the perfect CPAP tape on Amazon.

If this new mask works, I won't tell you what it is. Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW...I put "aerophagia and cpap" into Google and the first return is an excellent one from www/dot/sleepapnea/dot/org* and I recommend that highly for dannyhawaii to read.

* keeping to the DOT rules Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi danny!

It takes around 3 months average for folks to get used to CPAP therapy
Your mileage may vary however.

Air in stomach issues should fade away after a few months. Maybe it's a matter of developing
proper muscle tone down there in the throat.

I did get really good at burping and other ways of venting off the pressure too!
Smile

Good luck!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.