Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] How does the Flow Rate graph look like if you are nose breathing only
How does the Flow Rate graph look like if you are nose breathing only
and assuming you have no mask leak and aren't breathing from your mouth? Thanks for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How does the Flow Rate graph look like if you are nose breathing only
Looking at the flow rate chart you should see equal volumes of both inhale and exhale. The zero line helps. What goes in must come out. Exhalations are usually longer than inhales
So look at area under the curve for both inhale and exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just from some experiment I've performed recently.  Wearing a nasal mask I breathed until 19:11:45 solely through my mouth.  Then up to 19:14 inhalation through nose, exhalation through mouth.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Mike. The period you wore your nasal pillows and breathed through your mouth was detected as a long obstructive apnea. There appears to be a nasal breath near the end of that part of your experiment followed by a shorter apnea. No leak is reported during the period of mouth breathing which had no therapeutic value from the CPAP.

In the next session, we see inspiratory flow with zero expiratory flow and a higher leak rate that is less than a large leak. The pattern is typical for nasal inspiration and oral expiration. Normal respiration is briefly seen at the end of this chart. This is useful to identify some common problems and how it is reported.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're definitely right. If you look closer you will detect FOT between approx. 19:10:50 and 19:11:20.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a bit confused. This one is with the full face mask - 

This one is with the nasal pillow(without any tape) -

Which one did I perform better? They look very similar. My mouth is dry with the pillow indicated mouth breathing.  Its been only a day since I got the full face mask f20 and I woke up many times worrying about if it was leaking. Its probably because its new and in a few days I should have better sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
You had considerably less leakage with the full face. Even though the 95% leak are is a bit higher with the full-face, the median leak is zero, while the nasal shows 2.4 as a median. Neither leak rate is particularly high but you might be sensitive to it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 7 226 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 25 2 hours ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,118 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 238 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 305 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.