Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Backup Battery
Backup Battery
I recently purchased a Duracell backup battery from a specialty battery supply store for $119.00. It is an absorbent glass mat (AGM) type. (I have attached a picture below) It has a 55 amp hour rating. It took 16 hours to charge with a 1.25 amp Battery Tender charger when new.

I have used it a full night (8 hours and 53 minutes) to power my ResMed Autsense 10 Auto machine. I had both the humidity and the ClimateAir heated hose operating on Auto. About two thirds of the water in the humidity tank was consumed.

After the full nights use as above, it took 17 hours to charge the battery back to full charge at 1.25 amp hour rate. Battery Tender has a 5 amp hour charger available. I may order one of those. The 5 amp charger should charge it in one fourth the time which would make it more viable for multi night use.

I was using the 12 volt to 24 volt converter that is produced by ResMed. I intended to experiment with a voltage converter I rigged but the ResMed converter is superior. The ResMed converter has a circuit that will turn the converter off before it drains the battery to damaging levels which is a handy. Also, the ResMed converter converts the voltage very efficiently. The overhead power consumption was negligible. Much better than converting 12 volts to 120 and then back to 24 using an inverter and then using the normal ResMed plugin charger.

I will update as I get more experience with this setup.

Jeff

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Backup Battery
Thanks for the info. I bought the dc-dc converter but haven't purchased a battery yet. Good to hear it worked all night with the heater and climate hose.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Having spent a few years obsessing over telescopes and astrophotography the concept of batteries is key. All the best viewing locations are away from outlets. And you need to power the scope tracking system, cameras PCs etc.

This is what I use. Car jumpstarter / compressor
It has a 110volt plug.. but those are not efficient and will draw down battery faster. So I just ordered a 12 volt cable for my intellipap. It has the charging built in, sockets and you can inflate stuff and jump your car.

amazon UPG-84039-Adventure-Jump-Start-Compressor search Item id=1437842350 But there are dozens of these made by many makers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you happen to check the voltage after you used it and before you recharged it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Dzwiss - I was on a short schedule due to travel. I will do the run again tonight and check the before and after voltage readings.

BTW, the ResMed DC converter worked very well on the car trip from Kansas to Florida!

Wordjoy - I too enjoy astronomy. I have been to Cloudcroft, NM one time. It is on my bucket list to return.

Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night....

I ran off the 55 amp hour Powercell AGM battery for 9 hours and 15 minutes. The ResMed A10 Autosense settings were for auto humidity and auto for heated ClimateAir hose. About 2/3 of the water in the humidity tank was consumed. The air conditioner for my apartment was set to 75 degrees fahrenheit. The indicated pressure for the evening was 10.9, also set to auto. The beginning voltage on the battery was 13.25 and the voltage reading this morning was 12.75. Based upon the voltage readings, the battery could easily supply two nights or more of usage at the above Autosense settings. Without the humidity and hose heater turned on, it could easily operate the machine for several nights. I am using the ResMed DC converter that is designed to plug into the cigarette lighter in a car (or other 12 volt supply). The converter is very efficient at converting the voltage to the proper 24 volts required by the A10, much more efficient than an inverter (12 volts DC to 120 volts AC) and then using the ResMed 120 volt power supply. I am sure that makes a considerable difference. I have tried using inverters with my amateur radio equipment and get relatively poor battery life compared to 12 volts direct without the need to operate off 120 volts AC.

I will provide more information as I develop data. I hope to post an article in the Wiki as I have more data.

Thanks, Jeff

PS. Sorry for the double post but I didn't want to leave this thread hanging.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 73 8 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,815 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 198 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 248 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,437 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon
  Resmed A10 Motherboard Battery BKeeper 21 3,497 01-08-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: scowell

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.