Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] How often new Machine? Sleep Study
RE: How often new Machine? Sleep Study
(07-25-2015, 08:03 PM)zonk Wrote: I'm not sure about insurance requirement but as its been 11 years, new sleep study is overdue
The Intellipap Auto report AHI but not the type of apnea, whether obstructive or central, PRS1 Auto and S9/A10 AutoSet does
Also they report additional data

Its OSA because I am over 300 lbs and its well controlled with the CPAP though the first two nights with all the data on the APAP my be showing I need a lower pressure. Will get some more data and see my DR to confirm.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2015, 01:28 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: ...They'd never dare ask that a diabetic be re-diagnosed. Or a person with high blood pressure come off all meds and have a stress test to make sure they still have it. Yet we must dance this dance. And it is THEM who have to pay for it! Which further makes it frustrating! WHY!? Once that machine is paid for, the mask and supplies are minimal compared to what a diabetic's supplies are! Arrgghh!...

To help underline your point (hopefully), has anyone ever heard of a SA sufferer who was cured? The xPAP therapy is not a cure, although it abates SA events usually to the benefit of the patient to the point that they have normal breathing. It does a remarkable job of that, and is minimally invasive. Few "cures" have either of those benefits. The point here being that without the machine, people who obviously are not cured by a machine that relieves their malady will continue to need a machine. Period.

So if a patient has OSA, gets xPAP therapy, and then needs a new machine at the 5-11 year mark, is there any question whether they really still need the machine? Only if they lost significant weight, would be my guess, and that is something directly on the record, so is not in question. I suspect quite strongly that the only reason they need a sleep test is because it is such a tempting profit center for the sleep doc.

But, ferchrissake, doc, AT LEAST cut those who can't wrangle that through insurance a break. To not do that, and to soak them for the cost, is just plain reprehensible. I know your kids need to go to private school, but the patients' kids need to eat.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2015, 08:03 PM)zonk Wrote: I'm not sure about insurance requirement but as its been 11 years, new sleep study is overdue
The Intellipap Auto report AHI but not the type of apnea, whether obstructive or central, PRS1 Auto and S9/A10 AutoSet does

Huh, I thought that Intellipap reported the same stuff except for RERA. I'm still looking at it as a backup machine, but this is a little disappointing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2015, 06:00 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:

Huh, I thought that Intellipap reported the same stuff except for RERA. I'm still looking at it as a backup machine, but this is a little disappointing.
Its a sweet machine and when you think about when it was made it tells me they were way ahead of the curve.. I just did my review of it in the review section if you are looking at it.. There will always be something newer, prettier etc.

What do you NEED is where the conversation is. I don't need the machine to tell me I have OSA, I know and I know why.. someone else may have mixed and really need a machine that can tell the difference.

The good news is we have lots of good choices. So while I am very happy with my new choice.. each person needs different things.

In cameras there are lots of people who chose brand based on how many lenses the camera has that they will never buy. I look to see if the camera line has the lenses I need. Not the count of ones I will never buy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 231 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 119 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 145 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 64 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.