Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: What is the difference between your max and min pressure?
This poll is closed.
No pressure difference (or: I run my APAP like a CPAP)
7.14%
3 7.14%
1 cmH2O
0%
0 0%
2 cmH2O
4.76%
2 4.76%
3 cmH2O
2.38%
1 2.38%
4 cmH2O
11.90%
5 11.90%
5 cmH2O
21.43%
9 21.43%
>5 cmH2O
23.81%
10 23.81%
>10 cmH2O
26.19%
11 26.19%
wide open
2.38%
1 2.38%
Total 42 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[CPAP] How wide is your AutoPAP range?
How wide is your AutoPAP range?
Been doing some thinking and got to wondering how wide of a pressure differential between min. and max. is considered good for Auto machines. Obviously the narrower the range, the closer you are to straight CPAP. The wider the range, the more likely the machine is to miss an apnea or two while it's trying to ramp up the pressure.

There's probably no right answer as, I'm guessing, each person has different needs. What we do generally agree on is that "wide" open settings (min. 4, max. 20) are the least desirable.

I was prescribed a starting range of 4-10 cmH2O, but right now am using 6-11. In addition to letting me breathe more easily while trying to fall asleep, that also narrows my range by 1 cmH2O.

So, how many cmH2O difference is there between your max and min?

Another way of asking this, is "how much does your airway obstruction vary each night?"

Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How wide is your AutoPAP range?
A little help from an admin or whoever can make the poll non-public. I misread that option when I ticked it, and can't find a way to edit it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am currently running my CPAP machine using its APAP-trial mode, which allows Auto functionality for a maximum of 30 days. I started at +/-2 from my prescribed setting (so 11-15), but it frequently maxed out. Right now, I'm running at 11-20. Looking at the data, it very rarely goes below 13, and when it does, it typically climbs back up again quickly, so I will probably change it to 13-20. It has gone as high as 19, but the 90% number seems to be around 17. So much for my titration result!

That's why I voted even though my profile claims a fixed CPAP pressure.

I have an auto machine on order. Respironics, of course! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I voted straight cpap but I probably shouldn't have. I only have a cpap machine. I don't have the ability to set high and low pressures. Apologies for this. I didn't read the title of the post carefully.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2013, 06:42 PM)iSnooze Wrote: I voted straight cpap but I probably shouldn't have. I only have a cpap machine.

Same thing! Might be interesting to see how many CPAP users we have (one way or the other).

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2013, 04:28 PM)Paptillian Wrote: A little help from an admin or whoever can make the poll non-public. I misread that option when I ticked it, and can't find a way to edit it.

Poll fixed. Respondent's votes are non-public now... Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I voted for 3 difference but its between 2 and 3
I could use constant pressure but seem to induce few centrals, I feel better with a narrow range
S9 AutoSet does not treat central apnea as such but by increasing pressure in response to snoring and flow limitation which are pre-cursors to obstructive apnea (not central apnea) the pressure does not run away willy-nilly to induce central apnea
In my experience its futile to set the minimum pressure so low and expect the machine to do its magic, the magic does not happen in this way. the minimum pressure ought to be close to your therapeutic pressure and maximum pressure just couple cmH2O above. The maximum pressure might not matter much but if you,re like me sensitive to wide pressure fluctuation than narrower is better and leak rate is better too
Post Reply Post Reply
My prescribed level is 15; but just to see what would happen, I raised the high end to 18 and started the ramp at 10. I've been averaging in the 15 to 16 range when I feel like checking. If it weren't for this forum I probably would never look at the stats; after being on the cpaps for so long it's like "Who cares!!" oldman
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started off with a difference of 4 (11-15 inhale pressure on the bipap) but found it to be over aggressive and eventually ended up at 11 constant. I could probably get even lower average pressure with auto, but I can't be bothered so far as I'm finally getting along with the machine. I do agree that narrower is probably better in general.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still in my home titration phase; 8-20 right now. I have an appt with my sleep Dr at the end of January and I hope he bumps up the starting pressure; judging by data from sleepyhead. If he doesn't; I'm sure someone else will.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,433 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  What should my pressure range be? tomkelly 4 424 01-09-2024, 08:44 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Mask fit issues - wide mouth michael7 3 569 12-09-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: michael7
  [Diagnosis] AHI scores - what sort of range do people have? p123 4 505 10-14-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: jstro84
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 925 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
Wink Need help figuring out why severe sleep fragmentation from 3-7 am even on autopap HMG7450 2 546 08-14-2023, 04:38 AM
Last Post: sleep2023
  ResMed F-30 (Mask Issues- S-M and no Large or Wide)? Reesche 1 526 07-18-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.