Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Hubby woke up gasping and after removing mask, passed out!
RE: Hubby woke up gasping and after removing mask, passed out!
CPAP_wife,
I personally would not worry about the software and reading the data, except perhaps data available from the machine. This is not the time to start something new when you have an urgent situation going on. Reading the information from the software I think is for advanced members who have taken weeks or months to learn to use the software. You can't do it over night. Concentrate on getting hubby to the doctor. Good work that night-911 was the right move even if your husband wouldn't go to the ER. Men!
Post Reply Post Reply
Private Messages
(10-21-2012, 09:58 AM)Cpap_wife Wrote:
Hello! This is my first post (newbie). My husband has been using the RemStar Pro for the past 2 months. His pressure is set at 13. He wears a full mask. The snoring and apnea episodes have not been present since starting therapy. He has a history of gastric reflux (He has been known to wake from a deep sleep, choking and gasping for air). This has not happened since starting the cpap therapy until Friday night.

This past Friday, he woke up with the sensation of choking/gasping for air. He struggled to get his mask off and I finally was able to unsnap the strap. Soon as he got mask completely off, he passed out. I thought he died! I screamed his name and went to call 911. He finally woke up (this was all prob less than one minute but at the time, it felt like forever). He has no memory of falling face first off the edge of the bed. He said he was gasping from the reflux, and felt that he "Hyperventilated" from gasping and the machine forcing air into his airway. I called his Dr. and he goes tomorrow. He refused to go to ER the night this happened. He said he didn't think his mask was on tight enough that night.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Thank you in advance for sharing.Thanks

Hi Cpap_wife

Glad to hear things are better & I hope they stay that way but it is just another problem that gets thrown into an already bad enough disorder like Sleep Apnea.

I too was diagnosed with gastric reflux & went undiagnosed for along time & now it has effected my ability to swallow.

Have you been able to find the model number of your Hubby's RemStar Pro?
I sent you some more detailed info on Identifying the specific model to your Private Messages. You will find the link near the top of this page or you could try this link below.
Having software to log his usage & events can be a powerful tool.
Let me know if I can help you further.

Private Messages
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2012, 08:19 AM)Cpap_wife Wrote: This was the first time since he has been on cpap that he had an episode w/the reflux. Went to Dr. yesterday and was told to keep up w/treatment. He is doing well now. We think that he just didn't have his mask on tight enough. Hope it never happens again.

There is a connection between sleep apnea and acid reflux.

Also, it's common for sleep apneas to continue a bit when we start CPAP therapy.

Things get better with time.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your husband did reflux, he probably experienced something called nocturnal paroxysmal laryngospasm. This incurs when the person coughs or chokes in response to acid coming up in the throat. If your body feels it is threatened by acid touching the vocal cords. It slams them shut to keep acid from going into your lungs and causing respiratory difficulty. This is a protective mechanism of the body and can lead to your passing out as you can't take air in with the vocal cords in the closed position. The good news is that once you pass out your vocal cords relax and your brain stem takes over and you start breathing again. He probably should see an ENT physician just to make sure nothing else is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Jcross2002 and CPAP_wife!

You are in the right place!

=^.^=
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP_wife:

It has been a few months since the bad gastric episode.
You and hubby might want to think about slowly moving into using SleepyHead software.
If you can interact with this forum or fetch emails it is not a huge leap to get into the SleepyHead software.
That will give you more insights into what is going on *in between* doctor/sleep study sessions.
If the mask leaks, it will show up so you can correct it. Think you have hyperventilating events?
You will be able to pick up on it and get a heads up *before* bad things can get started.
They payoffs are big and you take better control of your therapy.

Think about it and the folks here will help you get set up.

Cheers!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on c-pap for six years or more and I have only had the gasping acid refulx once I think. For me, I think I still have silent relux some nights. My clue is a hoarse voice. I consume apple cider vinegar in salads most days or evenings and I think it helps to avoid reflux. I do not think c-pap has any effect on acid refulx to prevent it. Two things that help is one, Drink a small cup of aloe Vera juice before bed or a TBS of apple cider vinegar or even eat half an apple; any kind. It helps really.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP_Wife hasn't logged in for 6 months.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2012, 09:58 AM)Cpap_wife Wrote:
Hello! This is my first post (newbie). My husband has been using the RemStar Pro for the past 2 months. His pressure is set at 13. He wears a full mask. The snoring and apnea episodes have not been present since starting therapy. He has a history of gastric reflux (He has been known to wake from a deep sleep, choking and gasping for air). This has not happened since starting the cpap therapy until Friday night.

This past Friday, he woke up with the sensation of choking/gasping for air. He struggled to get his mask off and I finally was able to unsnap the strap. Soon as he got mask completely off, he passed out. I thought he died! I screamed his name and went to call 911. He finally woke up (this was all prob less than one minute but at the time, it felt like forever). He has no memory of falling face first off the edge of the bed. He said he was gasping from the reflux, and felt that he "Hyperventilated" from gasping and the machine forcing air into his airway. I called his Dr. and he goes tomorrow. He refused to go to ER the night this happened. He said he didn't think his mask was on tight enough that night.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Thank you in advance for sharing.Thanks

I'm glad these episodes waking up gasping for air and then go into a choking mode is not "just my imagination" as medical professionals are trying to tell me. I would "belch" into my mask, then start choking, rip the mask off, and head for the bathroom. after 15 or so minutes I would return to bed, not put the mask on, and sleep very well the rest of the night. Of course, my wife (a retired RN with over 20 years experience) would bite me in morning for not wearing the mask like the doctor ordered.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2013, 08:48 PM)vcottom Wrote: I would "belch" into my mask, then start choking, rip the mask off, and head for the bathroom. after 15 or so minutes I would return to bed, not put the mask on, and sleep very well the rest of the night. Of course, my wife (a retired RN with over 20 years experience) would bite me in morning for not wearing the mask like the doctor ordered.

Sounds like the CPAP machine might be pumping air into your stomach, causing the belch. I hope your wife wins that battle. You need the mask.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 806 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
Question [CPAP] Sleep Data - removing mask in sleep James87 10 620 01-04-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: James87
  Gasping for air with FF mask Jskier 6 381 12-30-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions? vrapche031 8 2,024 10-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: JoeP
  Woke up starving for air, but don't know why Phil487 21 1,312 10-05-2023, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Woke up feeling absolutely awful - OSCAR graph analysis really appreciated new2paphopeful 2 695 10-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: stevew77

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.