Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Hubby woke up gasping and after removing mask, passed out!
RE: Hubby woke up gasping and after removing mask, passed out!
Vcottom, where did she bite you? Only worry if you start liking it..........................only kidding of course.

Acid reflux sucks. Used to have it bad. Having that on top of apnea has to be a pain in the ass. (resisting the temptation of more wife biting jokes). I take OTC Prilosec every day, try to avoid eating late at night, avoid greasy spicy foods, and moderate alcohol. I also sleep with my torso elevated with an incline. Doing all that, I avoid that horrible feeling.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was given a script for Prilosec but not sure why as my upper g.i. with small bowel follow through was normal and as far as I know and am aware of, I don't have acid reflux. If I remember correctly, my primary doc gave it to me b/c I had chest pain intermittently and I still do.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, ME50. One night I went to the emergency room with severe chest pains. I got an ambulance ride to a bigger hospital. They did an angiogram and told my heart was perfect. Turns out the reflux can effect the sphincter at the bottom of the esophagus and feels just like a heart attack. So, skip the ambulance ride and take the Prilosec.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2013, 05:06 PM)drgrimes Wrote: Yeah, ME50. One night I went to the emergency room with severe chest pains. I got an ambulance ride to a bigger hospital. They did an angiogram and told my heart was perfect. Turns out the reflux can effect the sphincter at the bottom of the esophagus and feels just like a heart attack. So, skip the ambulance ride and take the Prilosec.

I take the Prilosec but just not sure why as my upper G.I. was normal. I still have the pains even with taking the Prilosec. I know that I will make great improvements when I get the Apnea under control! I think a lot of my issues stem from that. Both of my brothers died suddenly of a heart attack and they were very young at the time of their death. My Uncle on my mother's side of the family died of a heart attack in his sleep. My grandfather on my mothers side of the family had a stroke when he got the news that my brother died. He died a year later. My grandfather on my dad's side of the family died of a heart attack when I was 5. My great grandparents on mother's side both died of a heart attack. Not a good family history that is for sure! Not a way I would want to go. Glad that you didn't have a heart attack!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2013, 03:39 PM)me50 Wrote: I was given a script for Prilosec but not sure why as my upper g.i. with small bowel follow through was normal and as far as I know and am aware of, I don't have acid reflux. If I remember correctly, my primary doc gave it to me b/c I had chest pain intermittently and I still do.

"Acid reflux" is just the name that the advertisers liked. Whatever you call it, if reduction of stomach acid can help relieve the symptoms, omeprazole (Prilosec) may be a good way to accomplish that goal.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
ME50, yeah, that's a lot to think about. Ask your doctor what the hell is going on. I've had fleeting chest pains over the years. My doc to be safe has had me take every test known and he says i'm in great shape. I'm hoping the pains you are experiencing are something he can explain. I am thinking there is some connection between the Prilosec your doctor prescribed and what's happening.

When it happens, it doesn't feel like regular heart burn...it's a different kind of pain.
Post Reply Post Reply
you are right, it doesn't feel like what I think heart burn feels like. So, I will have a ct angiogram on Tuesday and a pelvic and abdomen ct the following week b/c I don't want all that contrast in one day or even one week. I suspect they are trying to rule out a heart condition as well as whether it is "gut" related. the Prilosec isn't bothering me but it has not stopped the intermittent chest discomfort. We shall see.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yea...I have have violently pulled my mask off several times(once pulling the machine off the nightstand). I did not pass out though! Ya'll are right to get to the DR.
I agree with your husband, probably a mask issue. It is the reason for my new setup (this and the fact my old setup is several years of age). Have gone to a nasal pillow.
It all worked well last night...we will see.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 808 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 865 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
Question [CPAP] Sleep Data - removing mask in sleep James87 10 621 01-04-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: James87
  Gasping for air with FF mask Jskier 6 381 12-30-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions? vrapche031 8 2,032 10-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: JoeP
  Woke up starving for air, but don't know why Phil487 21 1,315 10-05-2023, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Woke up feeling absolutely awful - OSCAR graph analysis really appreciated new2paphopeful 2 705 10-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: stevew77

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.