Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 9.2
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Humidifier Resmed Airsense 10 - Empty fast
You can 'train' your tongue to stick against the roof of your mouth using natural suction. I didn't believe this was possible, but it is. This eliminates dry mouth caused by the jaw dropping open. If that doesn't work, then you will need either a chin strap or light adhesive tape over your mouth. The tape method works, but some people don't like the sensation of their mouth being taped shut. The chin strap method works too, but again, it depends whether you can tolerate it.
11-15-2015 08:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Sex: Female

(11-15-2015 08:28 AM)OpalRose Wrote:  
(11-15-2015 04:02 AM)berniw Wrote:  One thing though, my mouth is still dry this morning. I'm trying to eliminate dry mouth but it's just as bad as no humidifier.

Have you given any thought to the fact that you are mouth breathing. Even with a full face mask, that can cause dry mouth. You may need a chin strap.

Opal, how does mouth breathing show up in the Sleepyhead reports? As a leak? Or something else?
11-15-2015 01:48 PM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

Mouth breathing with a full face mask does not show up in Sleepyhead as far as I know. It shows up as dry mouth. I use a full face mask and not too long ago had to add a chin strap to it to prevent dry mouth. I had been using the tongue seal previously but for some reason "unlearned" that and could not seem to relearn it. The addition of the chin strap stopped the dry mouth immediately.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
11-15-2015 01:59 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
berniw Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed Autosense 10
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Quattro Air
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: Auto
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Thanks again everyone, so it looks like I've been mouth open then. I'll look at a chin strap..... I think with my old mask I used to keep my mouth shut. It must be the new mask that's causing my mouth to open.
11-15-2015 02:23 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(11-15-2015 02:23 PM)berniw Wrote:  Thanks again everyone, so it looks like I've been mouth open then. I'll look at a chin strap..... I think with my old mask I used to keep my mouth shut. It must be the new mask that's causing my mouth to open.
If you're using full face mask as shown in your profile, not a problem open or breathing through your mouth, that is the way the mask suppose to work. If you want keep your mouth closed, get a nasal mask or nasal pillows mask, with these types of mask, you'll need to keep mouth closed and breathe only through your nose
11-15-2015 03:02 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
berniw Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed Autosense 10
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Quattro Air
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: Auto

Other Comments:

(11-15-2015 03:02 PM)zonk Wrote:  
(11-15-2015 02:23 PM)berniw Wrote:  Thanks again everyone, so it looks like I've been mouth open then. I'll look at a chin strap..... I think with my old mask I used to keep my mouth shut. It must be the new mask that's causing my mouth to open.
If you're using full face mask as shown in your profile, not a problem open or breathing through your mouth, that is the way the mask suppose to work. If you want keep your mouth closed, get a nasal mask or nasal pillows mask, with these types of mask, you'll need to keep mouth closed and breathe only through your nose

I don't think I could ever get used to a nasal one. My other full face was a F & P Simplus, I never experienced dry mouth. But the problem with that one was the plastic forehead frame used to hurt my forehead and wake me up through the night despite how loose or tight the headgear was.

Think chinstrap might be a solution. Bedtime is getting quite complex for me now. Ha.Too-funny
11-15-2015 03:18 PM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

(11-15-2015 01:48 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:  
(11-15-2015 08:28 AM)OpalRose Wrote:  
(11-15-2015 04:02 AM)berniw Wrote:  One thing though, my mouth is still dry this morning. I'm trying to eliminate dry mouth but it's just as bad as no humidifier.

Have you given any thought to the fact that you are mouth breathing. Even with a full face mask, that can cause dry mouth. You may need a chin strap.

Opal, how does mouth breathing show up in the Sleepyhead reports? As a leak? Or something else?

Don't know exactly, I have been trying to find info on this very subject to see if you can tell from a flow rate graph and leak rate graph as to the shape of the breathing pattern/peaks whether it is a mask leak or mouth breathing. I think it may show up on the flow graph as a flat top instead of round top. Someone else may know the answer.

A lot of folk mouth breath regardless of type of mask, and this can leave you with a very dry mouth. If O.P. has made the adjustments to the humidifier and still has dry mouth, then mouth breathing is most likely the issue.

OpalRose
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2015 03:40 PM by OpalRose.)
11-15-2015 03:23 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

(11-15-2015 03:18 PM)berniw Wrote:  Think chinstrap might be a solution.
I use chinstrap too, but using nasal mask
Full face mask never worked for me, leaked like a sieve ... YMMV

Sleep-well
11-15-2015 03:24 PM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

(11-15-2015 03:02 PM)zonk Wrote:  

All true, breathing or leaking through your mouth while wearing a full face mask does nothing deleterious to one's therapy (there is no loss of therapeutic pressure). It can, however, lead to dry mouth from all of the air going through one's mouth. I know this to be true from first hand experience.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2015 04:16 PM by PaytonA.)
11-15-2015 04:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

(11-15-2015 04:14 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  All true, breathing or leaking through your mouth while wearing a full face mask does nothing deleterious to one's therapy (there is no loss of therapeutic pressure). It can, however, lead to dry mouth from all of the air going through one's mouth. I know this to be true from first hand experience.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
I'm with you on this one but if you're going to close your mouth while using full face mask, obviously you'll breathing through your nose, no other way to get some air into the lungs Smile

Certainly, full face mask have a place but if you've no problem (some do) breathing through your nose, wondering if would make more AirSense using nasal or nasal pillows mask

Best regards and Coffee to you, too
11-15-2015 04:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Beginning use with H5i humidifier Lanco 27 861 Yesterday 02:59 PM
Last Post: Lanco
  Does long term humidifier use affect lungs? Russatrice 11 433 12-06-2016 06:27 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
Question ResMed AirSense 10 Badjo17 26 2,501 12-04-2016 09:30 AM
Last Post: Arnie51
  Is this sound normal? - Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset Ronberta 8 1,268 11-29-2016 07:59 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Question: sound level on Resmed S9 WITHOUT humidifier, compared to Remstar 560 kowlooner 8 235 11-29-2016 10:51 AM
Last Post: kowlooner
  [Equipment] ResMed Airsense 10 Quit Working SherrieR 4 252 11-26-2016 07:51 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Angry Resmed Airsense/Telstra 2G wireless kerput JamesW 2 213 11-24-2016 11:08 PM
Last Post: JamesW