Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 9.2
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Humidifier Resmed Airsense 10 - Empty fast
Here are my observations for what they're worth.

When I tried a FF mask, as my mouth opened, the air seemed to rush into my mouth rather than rushing out. Since the pressure is the same against the nasal openings as against the mouth, this makes some sense. This usually woke me up and caused extreme dry mouth.

With my nasal mask, the air always rushes out when my mouth is open but usually doesn't wake me. Whenever I have a seriously dry mouth in the morning, I know my mouth was open at some time during the night.

Before I was successful in sealing my mouth with my tongue, I tried taping my mouth closed a couple of times with my nasal mask, so that all observed leaks were mask leaks. They were much lower than mouth leaks and and were intermittent. My mouth leaks are always sudden and much higher (35+). When my mouth closes, the leak disappears just as suddenly as it appeared.
11-15-2015 04:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(11-15-2015 04:36 PM)zonk Wrote:  
(11-15-2015 04:14 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  All true, breathing or leaking through your mouth while wearing a full face mask does nothing deleterious to one's therapy (there is no loss of therapeutic pressure). It can, however, lead to dry mouth from all of the air going through one's mouth. I know this to be true from first hand experience.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
I'm with you on this one but if you're going to close your mouth while using full face mask, obviously you'll breathing through your nose, no other way to get some air into the lungs Smile

Certainly, full face mask have a place but if you've no problem (some do) breathing through your nose, wondering if would make more AirSense using nasal or nasal pillows mask

Best regards and Coffee to you, too

I am working on nasal pillows but have not been successful yet. Coffee back.
11-15-2015 10:54 PM
berniw Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed Autosense 10
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Quattro Air
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: Auto
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Well, I tried manual settings of tube temp at 26degrees and hunidity at 5. The water tub lasted 7 hours and was still at min level last two mornings.

However last couple of days I have been a little congested and wheezing in the morning, this may be main culprit for my dry mouth. Blocked nose causing mouth breathing. But now I am wondering if the damp humid air is casuing congestion and chesty cough.
I'm gonna try a dry night tonight see if anything changes.
11-16-2015 02:52 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cloggd Nose elling with ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet edmund36 3 78 Today 06:05 PM
Last Post: Mr. Van Winkle
  Beginning use with H5i humidifier Lanco 27 883 12-07-2016 02:59 PM
Last Post: Lanco
  Does long term humidifier use affect lungs? Russatrice 11 469 12-06-2016 06:27 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
Question ResMed AirSense 10 Badjo17 26 2,538 12-04-2016 09:30 AM
Last Post: Arnie51
  Is this sound normal? - Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset Ronberta 8 1,276 11-29-2016 07:59 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Question: sound level on Resmed S9 WITHOUT humidifier, compared to Remstar 560 kowlooner 8 238 11-29-2016 10:51 AM
Last Post: kowlooner
  [Equipment] ResMed Airsense 10 Quit Working SherrieR 4 258 11-26-2016 07:51 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred