Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] I am going nuts....
Gross 
I am going nuts....
I am going nuts... When I am awake and I put on CPAP mask. I was able to breathe normally when I am reading or watching a movie/tv show... then I started to feel tired. I lie down, and my mind went overdrive by focusing at my mask on my face. Making sure that it is positioned correctly, will not leak, adjusting my pillows and then all I think is about my mask. I tried to use relaxation techniques and breathe slowly, but my mind is in overdrive...

I gave up after 30 to 45 minutes... I wasn't able to drift to sleep with my mask on....

It is soo frustrating!

I am worried about how I will make this through during my workdays when I had to wake up 5am to 6 am for work at 7:30 am at school.

The noise didn't bother me because I am Deaf. It is my other senses being in overdrive -especially my tactile sense --

I do not want to depend on using sleeping aids while using my mask.

Gosh, it is so frustrating.

SadSadSadSadOh-jeezOh-jeez

HelpLocoLoco
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I am going nuts....
abcohende, you not going nuts, some people adapt to it quicker than other, your brain is telling you that you shouldn't have something on your face when it actually should be telling you that it will help you breathe. You need to relax and try not to think about it as a mask, I look at it that it is another part of my body, just chuck it on and go to sleep. Don't even worry if it is positioned correctly or leaking you will know that when you can feel it. Eventually you will get the hang of it, it just takes time and patience. You could try some over the counter sleep meds from a pharmacy, more to relax you and see how you go. Even if you can sleep with it for a few hours at the start you and slowly build up to all night and don't criticise yourself it just makes things work. Give it another go.
Post Reply Post Reply
abcohende, I found the same thing at first. After a while you do get used to it, and now I find I can drop off to sleep better with the mask than without it. However, it took me a couple of tries to find a mask which was comfortable and didn't leak. I see you're using a nasal mask - although counter-intuitive, you might be more comfortable and better able to adjust with a full face type.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2013, 12:29 AM)abcohende Wrote: I am going nuts... When I am awake and I put on CPAP mask. I was able to breathe normally when I am reading or watching a movie/tv show... then I started to feel tired. I lie down, and my mind went overdrive by focusing at my mask on my face. Making sure that it is positioned correctly, will not leak, adjusting my pillows and then all I think is about my mask. I tried to use relaxation techniques and breathe slowly, but my mind is in overdrive...

I gave up after 30 to 45 minutes... I wasn't able to drift to sleep with my mask on....

It is soo frustrating!

I am worried about how I will make this through during my workdays when I had to wake up 5am to 6 am for work at 7:30 am at school.

The noise didn't bother me because I am Deaf. It is my other senses being in overdrive -especially my tactile sense --

I do not want to depend on using sleeping aids while using my mask.

Gosh, it is so frustrating.

SadSadSadSadOh-jeezOh-jeez

HelpLocoLoco
There is a natural sleep aid called somnapure that might help you during this adjustment phase of CPAP therapy.

Can you try a different type of mask and see if it affects you less?

I wish you the best and much success with CPAP therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi abcohende,
I'm sorry you are having such a rough time with CPAP therapy right now.
I just encourage you to stick with it. The mask is the hardest part of this therapy, don't be shy about asking to try as many maksk as you need 'til you find the right one that works for you. CPAP therapy can take lots of patience so don't give up., it will get better.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
abcohende, I have been on therapy for only two months and I too have been very 'mask aware'. For the first three weeks I was lucky if I could wear the mask for two hours. Late in the third week it became four hours. By six weeks I could wear it for six hours. I have now peaked at eight hours of wearing the mask with consistent sevens. I still don't sleep through the night. I frequently wake up and notice small leaks which I am better able to quickly handle and fall back to sleep after a few minutes. I am also starting to notice that I am sleeping more and I am becoming more energetic. Starting to sound like a dang commercial. Just hang in there keep trying to desensitize yourself on the mask. I still have some mask issues, but like others have said on this forum, 'I look forward to putting on the mask because I can fall asleep sooner.' Some can adapt quickly most others are like us.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wish I could give you words of encouragement but after seven years with my mask it still gives me fits sometimes. Although now it seems strange not to have it on when I go to sleep a night. It will get better, just keep trying.
Lee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,610 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH
  Terrible Velcro On Philips Nuance Gel Pillow Mask Driving Me Nuts hyphicti 0 625 10-23-2021, 10:26 AM
Last Post: hyphicti
  mouth leak driving me nuts Palmtrees 7 1,881 06-04-2020, 07:56 AM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  The Nuts and Bolts of Scoring Apneas and Hypopneas Mark Douglas 4 2,855 07-11-2015, 04:43 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  Nocturia is driving me nuts Route67 10 5,953 05-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Last Post: mjo2244
Angry CPAP is driving me nuts! USKiwi 10 7,047 02-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Last Post: vsheline

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.