Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] I guess i finally have to start Cpap
RE: I guess i finally have to start Cpap
For me, CPAP clears my stuffy nose rather than complicating it. That also has been the experience of my mate who has been on CPAP seven years. Also, if either of us gets a cold-related cough, CPAP allows us to be cough-free all night. (we both have humidifiers).
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I have been back on the cpap for 5 nights and I hate to admit but I do feel better. I started out with the pressure set at 5 which is where it was originally supposed to be and after 2 nights I raised it to 6. I will leave it their until the new sleep study is done. I just got my paperwork for that and it's set for 8/8.

I guess I'm starting to get used to using it and the idea of using it which is more difficult. I slept in the spare room for two nights. Now I'm back with my girlfriend and the good news is I haven't kept her awake (so far). I made her promise to wake me up if it bothered her.

I must admit once you see the results of using the machine it becomes much easier to accept using it.
Post Reply Post Reply
When you get a new machine, insist on one that is data capable.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Diabetics test their blood before taking insulin. CPAP users need to see the data, too.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well last night I know I put the mask on and it was strapped on pretty snug. I was suprised when I woke up at 2:30am and it was on the floor! Has this ever happened to anyone??

Also I think I was opening my mouth and letting the air pressure out!

Well, I thought I was getting the hang of this,,,,,,,,,,maybe not.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2013, 08:18 AM)iSnooze Wrote:
(07-16-2013, 07:01 PM)Eddie702 Wrote: 3. Is their a way to deal with a stuffy nose and still be able to use Cpap?

(07-16-2013, 07:30 PM)zonk Wrote: 3- Neilmed sinus rinse
...I can't stress enough how much the Neilmed nasal rinse helps. ...
I agree with the neilmed sinus rinse. Another product that's fairly effective is Xlear sinus rinse or the Xlear sinus spray. You can use it as often as necessary, and it isn't addictive like Afrin.

Some people do better with the Respironics breathing algorithm. Others do better with ResMed's. If you had trouble "syncing" your breath to the Respironics REMstar plus, (as I did with the M-Series) you might consider trying the ResMed S9 Autoset. Sometimes I have to check to the mask vent to make sure it's actually on, even at pressure.

The REMstar plus is a leaf blower compared to either the Respironics S1 series or the ResMed S9 series in terms of quietness. You'll be glad you got a new machine.

Try to get a fully-data-capable machine if you can!

Here's to better sleep and decent sleep study results.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started out with the RemStar + and its my backup now. The S9 is superior and breathes a lot better so
I sleep better as a result.

Hang in there and best of luck with the Sleep Study!

Sleep-well

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all you advise, it is greatly appreciated. I am going to keep going, try and get use to what I have and keep the pressure where it is. The new sleep study is only a few weeks away so I'll see what happens after that. This past week proves I surely need the cpap and I'm lucky that it's working and I do feel somewhat better. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi eddie702,
Another thing you could try to help get used to the CPAP machine, is to mask up and use it during the evening while you read or watch tv. This will help your body get used to this different way of sleeping. Throwing the mask in the floor in your sleep is not uncommon but
hopefully this will help you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Adding to what trish said, I suggest not wearing the mask in bed until you're actually ready to sleep. I wore my mask one night while sitting in bed and watching TV. Then I had trouble falling asleep the next night.

They say not to watch TV or read in bed so that the brain learns to associate the bed with sleeping. I guess this goes along those lines, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
After being on cpap for the past few weeks I'm having a problem with dryness. I have the standard remstar "Passover" humidifier which is just a tank of water. I don't think it works at all as It doesn't evaporate any water all night. Or am I doing something wrong? I know I have it connected correctly.

2d question. I think I should buy a better humidifier. Any recommendations? will any humidifier work with any machine or do the have to be a matched set.

Thanks for the help
Ed
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool [Pressure] Finally a Resmed user!!! Need Help!!! :) mrsleepyhead2001 2 168 04-01-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,220 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,402 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Need to start CPAP and feeling overwhelmed shipofools999 11 1,222 10-06-2023, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Fabby
  DreamStation Auto Initial Start-up WilliamZ 3 530 09-11-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Should I start CPAP? brianstermat09 3 548 08-24-2023, 04:00 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Took 6 months but finally got 100 on myAir app. Any way to improve my treatment? 1978 0 485 08-22-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: 1978

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.