Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Alarm
Alarm
My 23 year old son who uses a full face mask has a Resmed AirSense 10 autoset apap.  He is non verbal, autistic and has Down Syndrome.  The issue is that he does not wake up when his machine is turned off. I purchased an alarm to alert me when there is a  power outage.  However, other situations have arisen for which the alarm is not a help. For example one time the plug fell out. It is set to always come on when the mask is in place but sometimes it doesn't.  I called the proviider concerned that there was something wrong with the machine and she said some other customers have said the same thing but that is just how the machine is.

I believe it has also turned itself off ( or he may have taken the mask off, put it back on and it didnt automatically start) .  The provider said if the breathing is shallow it may turn off. 

I am trying to be proactive and avoid an accident in the future. I do see there is a very tiny vent in he mask which allows him to breathe when the machine is not running but it worries me because this little flap is all that stands between him getting enough oxygen or not.  I do wash it every day to make sure no nasal secretions etc gum it up. 

Is there anything else I can be doing to ensure his safety? Does anyone have another suggestion? Anyone heard of an alarm that can alert me when the machine goes off for some reason other than a power outage? Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Alarm
Catherine
All masks are designed to allow enough air into the mask in the event of a machine or electrical failure. Your son will not suffocate if the machine is not running. I had had the power go off and when I wake up then house is dark, no harm. Many have suggested disabling smart start to prevent the machine cutting off during shallow breathing, in your son's case I am not sure that is the best thing to do.

Some others will be along shortly and give you more suggestions.

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Alarm
Sometimes large leaks can trigger a device shut-down with the mask remaining in place. If you are using #sleepyhead to monitor sleep statistics and know that an event has occurred, you can look back to see if the problem was caused by a large leak. 

I am not aware of any cost-effective commercial device that might solve your problem proactively.

One type of device that might work is an electric current flow sensor that continuously measures the electricity used by the device and could be set to indicate a specific low current draw above a particular set point (minimal current drawn when device is off) but below another set point (normal use current) -- because the device does draw some current even when off. 

Although it is a longshot, you might want to contact Adtech (800) 724-8280 and ask them about an adaptation to their current loop sensor with set points. 

Best of luck.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Alarm Jimboiii 1 289 12-25-2023, 12:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] Pulse oximeter with alarm garyhibb 9 1,271 04-13-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: withtao
  [Diagnosis] Alarm going off gbbarrie 3 908 11-22-2022, 10:45 AM
Last Post: gbbarrie
  [Equipment] ResMed AirCurve 10 VAUTO. Leak or mask off Alarm to soft. Beekeeper Art 0 986 03-05-2022, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Beekeeper Art
  Taking off mask at sleep - alarm as solution? johanson 2 1,021 09-11-2020, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  PulseOxi - set alarm? Cubus 2 755 08-07-2020, 03:03 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question When I snooze my alarm, wake up groggy and have high SpO2 100% with hands cold. MyronH 1 945 02-22-2020, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.