Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] I'm FRREAKING out!
RE: I'm FRREAKING out!
Hi Lorraine,

Welcome to apneaboard.

Lots of good ideas above.

One thing that might help us focus on what kind of suggestions to offer ... When you freak out with the mask on, what about it is bothering you most?

Some ideas address the discomfort with having a mask on.

Other ideas address the feeling of not getting enough air.

What freaks you out about the mask?

For me I consider the CPAP a big straw thru which I breath in life giving oxygen and restful sleep. I feel so much better with it than without it that I can't imagine sleeping a night without.

All the early experiments with mask type and pressure were just steps to the best nights sleep.

But I was so tired and miserable that I could have slept with a scuba mask and I didn't have any sense of panic about covering my face.

Their are many things which might freak you out, so take whatever ideas are useful to help calm your nerves.

If you can say a few words about what freaks you out I bet someone here can speak directly to it from their personal experience.

Best wishes

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2016, 09:48 PM)Ockrocket Wrote: ...nasal pillows will probably cause you discomfort with the air blowing straight up your nostrils.

I don't think that's fair to say, no one knows what will probably cause her discomfort. Tons of users love nasal pillows and find them liberating and don't feel any discomfort. She needs to find what works (and what's required) for her.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2016, 01:26 AM)Dreams of Green Wrote:
(09-03-2016, 09:48 PM)Ockrocket Wrote: ...nasal pillows will probably cause you discomfort with the air blowing straight up your nostrils.

I don't think that's fair to say, no one knows what will probably cause her discomfort. Tons of users love nasal pillows and find them liberating and don't feel any discomfort. She needs to find what works (and what's required) for her.

You may be right.

But I figured a step away from the full mask to the less intimidating nose mask might help.

The air up the nostrils from the nasal pillows is vastly different from the air in a nasal or full face mask, it can be quite uncomfortable compared to the gentle flow from the other style of masks.

I tried the nasal pillows part way through my trial period, but quickly gave up and went back to the nose mask.

Unfortunately it is a difficult process trying to get sorted what is comfortable and works for each individual. Sad

I'm sure Lorraine will get it worked out with all the good advice and information within this group.
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!
Good suggestions from everyone. I've made a couple of adjustments: lowered the pressure by one, raised the humidity by one and I'm doing some relaxation breathing exercises. I'm also reducing my caffeine intake and drinking a cup of passion flower tea (calming) with a few drops of CBD oil about an hour before bed. So far I'm having better luck, but I can't wear it all night. I have a feeling this is going to take a long time. Sad
Lorraine
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to hear things are slowly getting a bit better. Slow and steady wins the race. Keep at it and as you can see, post any question that you have, and you'll get answers from more experienced users who've walked the walk.

Welcome to the forum, good luck with everything, and keep us posted!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, this is Lorraine -
I've made more changes but am still having some difficulty. I'm hopeful that some of you can give me suggestions.
I've gone back to my nasal pillows which I think will work in the long run for me. Less equipment on my face is making me feel less anxious. The problem is that I sleep with my mouth open but cannot tolerate having the chin strap wrapped around my head. I tried using paper medical tape and taping my mouth shut but half way through the night it gets damp and just comes off.
I need another way to keep my mouth shut - any ideas out there?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2016, 12:14 PM)Lorraine Wrote: ..................
I need another way to keep my mouth shut - any ideas out there?
You might try a mouthguard. Some nights, I use a boil and bite guard on my lower teeth, and when I do, seems like I've eliminated the dry mouth I sometimes get, which I assume means I've diminished my open mouth breathing. Also seems like sleeping on my back is better tolerated with the mouthguard.

Just a thought. -Ron

We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ron,

I thought a mouth guard was for people who grind their teeth or clench their jaw? How does it work to keep my mouth shut? With nose pillows, if I open my mouth at all then the air going into my nose just goes out my mouth. I'm interested to know how this mouth guard works. Thanks!

Lorraine
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, their prime use is for bruxism. But in the OSA context, the idea is that the guard forces the lower jaw down and forward, thereby countering collapse of the soft tissue at the back of the throat - ie. the airway remains more open more of the time. That in turn decreases the (autonomic) impulse to breath through the mouth. Someone please correct me if I've got that wrong.

Some dentists actually promote such devices as an alternative to xPAP therapy.

Here's a ref. <link to Apnea Mouth Guard Oral Appliance for Sleep Apnea Snoring removed by moderator.>

-Ron

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.