Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] I'm new to this... HELP!
I'm new to this... HELP!
Hello CPAP'ers...

I got my CPAP machine two weeks ago and I am still struggling. When I am awake while using CPAP machine, I can regulate my breathing and it becomes much comfortable for me.

Then, I lie down on my bed, and I became too 'focused' on my breathing pattern, and my heart races. I had to breathe hard and deeply.

Is it normal? It is driving me nuts. Help!Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I'm new to this... HELP!
abcohende, welcome, some people take to it like a duck to water and others struggle for a while, in the machine profile can you put the model, itis next to the power button, either Escape, Elite or Autoset. A few things you can try are the ramp feature so it allows you pressure to raise slower at the start although you are on a very low pressure. Check your ERP settings and adjust them they will be either on 0,1,2,3 you need to see which suits you and I use ear plugs, I'm sensetive to any noise and it seems to block out my breathing a bit.
The most important thing is keep using it, ask questions on here and be postive and it will work eventually, also try to relax, good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have Autoset - what is ERP settings?

I was wondering if it is normal for a person who wears CPAP mask while trying to sleep, and the mind becomes so focused on breathing patterns, and can feel heart pumping fast.

It happens to me, and is it normal? What should I do?
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR is the exhale pressure relief. It helps with the breathing out as it drops the pressure. The amount it changes depends on the setting. Setting of 1 means it drops it down 1 point. 2 drops 2, etc.

Paying more attention to your breathing and your heart rate is quite normal. It is a new sound, a new device, all sorts of new things.

There's a few things you can try.

One is to accept the noise of you breathing and move on. Set it to a rhythm and relax into it. Like ocean waves. In, out, in, out, zzzz. Consider it a kind of meditation. This is the method I use the most.

Two is to get a white noise machine or an app for your phone (I use WhiteNoise). The idea is to provide a background noise to mask something annoying. Like the sound of our own breathing. Some people love them, some don't. It can be as simple as the drone of an air conditioner to the more complicated sounds of a spring rain storm. I use the app when I am away from home. Hotels are much quieter than my house and I can't stand the silence. Or they are noisy with voices (out in the hall, room next door) and I need to drown them out. In addition to the white noise app, I also have a few albums on my phone that are very relaxing. I'm really into Robin Bullock's guitar music right now. I put it on timer and relax into it. This works the best when my brain just won't shut the heck up.

Three is to use the machine in your quiet bedroom, laying down like you normally do, and just get used to hearing the sound of your breathing. Just a few minutes each day. Also wear the mask and turn on the device while you are doing something else like watching television or reading a book. This gets you even more used to it all.

Meanwhile, request the Clinician Manual for your machine so you can get used to what it is capable of doing. You can request one here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Other things that might help:
Acronyms/abbreviations - http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms
glossary: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...y_of_Terms
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like anxiety , wear your mask and get used to the machine while reading or watching tv . The machine noise can be like white noise ,waves etc. You will get used to it. In short you just need to relax with the machine before you try to sleep.
Get your machine lower than the mattress and on a surface that makes it quiet . Use a hose cozy to quiet your hose /mask breathing sounds. loop the hose above your head to a hook on the wall/ headboard . A hair scrunchy can help suspend it . Pad a cheek liner will help quiet breathing sounds down and helps in all sorts of ways. You can't believe the comfort level these washable liners give. If you need a longer hose they sell 18 inch short hoses and swivel coupling connectors to help with that .
Some people do not like the ramp setting or to low of a starting pressure. below 5 or 6 they feel suffocated.
Give yourself some time , you will grow to like it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi abcohende,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I agree with what has been said so far in the posts above.
I'm sorry you are having such a rough time with CPAP therapy right now but I encourage you to stick with it. CPAP can take some time to get used to, but just try to relax and it will get better.
Good luck to you and feel free to ask as many questions as you need.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Abcohende, the others have given you great advice, take it all on board, it just takes time, I look at it that this is a long journey in our life and you have just started, try to be patient and relax, you'll get there.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2013, 02:27 AM)knightlite Wrote: Sounds like anxiety , wear your mask and get used to the machine while reading or watching tv .

That doesn't help, at least not when I had exactly the same issue. Instead of relaxing and falling asleep, I kept focusing on my breathing and couldn't think of anything else. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. ...

If I had something else to think about (eg. TV, reading, etc), I had no trouble with the mask. But with no other distractions and trying to fall asleep, it became inhale ... exhale ... inhale ... exhale ...

The good news is that you do get used to it eventually.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just like when you got to the dentist. give up and hope they know what they are doing and endure the noise. With your machine just relax and give up hoping it is set up right and correct for you. If its is not go back to your respiratory theorist and ask questions.
Lee
Post Reply Post Reply
To answer you question, for some new users what you are going through is normal.

You have to overcome some very basic reactions to fear of suffocation to allow the machine to do its job particularly as you move from conscious control to sleep.
You have to learn to trust the machine to do its job as a subconscious level, and that takes more time for some.

the methods and tips above are ways to hopefully make that journey shorter. Wearing your mask (with machine on) while reading, watching TV etc is not a magic trick that works straight away, it also takes time but hopefully reduces the overall time it takes for your brain to adjust to the machine and regard it as "normal" and nothing to panic about.

I know I have a world of different reaction too based on the mask. The nasal pillows are a dream. A full face mask is a panic attack just waiting to happen for me. And the standard nasal mask somewhere in between.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.