Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which machine to choose
Cool 
Which machine to choose
Hi everyone I've been approved by my hospital (Alfred, Melb, Aust) for a subsidised machine, there are three I can choose from & I am hoping you can help me decide. I am on a pressure of 17 if that comes into account, the three available are:
Fisher Paykel Icon Premo with thermostat

Phillips Respironics New Gen Remstar Pro & heated tubing humidifier

Resmed AIRsense 10 elite (fixed pressure)- climate contro

Thanks for any replies -Sue
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which machine to choose
G'day Sue, welcome to Apnea Board.

All the machines are pretty good, though Philips Respironics and Resmed have the bulk of the market between them. All the machines are fixed pressure and have efficacy reporting, which means you'll be able to monitor your therapy using appropriate software (which you can get for free from this forum). I believe the Philips and Resmed have more detailed reporting than the F&P.

Your pressure of 17 is pretty high and you might find it's a bit uncomfortable till you get used to it. Really, for that pressure you should be getting an auto machine (eg Resmed Airsense Autoset) which will run at a lower pressure until you experience an apnea or precursor event and will then ramp the pressure up as much as necessary. I understand this might not be possible with a subsidised machine, but I'd strongly suggest you try to get an auto if at all possible.

Of the three machines listed, I'd probably lean towards the Resmed, with the Philips second and the F&P third. To some extent it's like asking "Falcon or Commodore?" - both good machines, very similar in function. The Philips is a bit ugly, if that makes a difference. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the welcome & the info, much appreciated. I will ask about the auto & if it's possible if I could pay the difference. I am leaning towards the Resmed & yes it does look nicer
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a ResMed A10 Elite and knowing hind sight is 20/20, I'd choose a PR machine. I'm tired of spending 10 minutes many nights re-seating my humidifier on the A10 due to loud 'whining' sound.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sueveebee,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Here is a very helpful guide to which machine to buy and which ones to avoid: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices .
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2016, 08:12 AM)Sueveebee Wrote: Thank you for the welcome & the info, much appreciated. I will ask about the auto & if it's possible if I could pay the difference. I am leaning towards the Resmed & yes it does look nicer
The Icon is yesterday machine and F&P haven't catch-up yet with PR and ResMed. At pressure 17, an auto machine is preferable as you might not needing 17 all night or even never hit 17 at all, never know until tried
If you really need 17 for most of the night, then bilevel machine is the way to go as the machine provide two pressures, for inhale and exhale. ResMed A10 have pressure relief (EPR) feature, provide pressure relief somewhat but not as precise or high enough as bilevel pressure support. You'll need to start treatment asap, you can use whatever the hospital provide (paying the difference for an auto is good idea) and take it from there. Good luck

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2016, 08:50 AM)cate1898 Wrote: I have a ResMed A10 Elite and knowing hind sight is 20/20, I'd choose a PR machine. I'm tired of spending 10 minutes many nights re-seating my humidifier on the A10 due to loud 'whining' sound.

Once upon a time I was a Resmed fanboy too. Note that I switched to the Respironics line. Would love it if I could afford a new Respironics System One Auto 560 while they're still available - especially at their clearance price. That should get me another five years down the road before having to reconsider a new machine- or out to 2025 in that my current one has only 13 months on it.

Resmed machines LOOK sexy, but having used both, I'd take the Respironics over them almost any day.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your replies & knowledge! I haven't been able to find answers even from the sleep techs so I really am Appreciative - it looks as if I'll have to take the fixed Resmed for now as funds just wont cover the alternative & paying the extra wasn't an option
cate 1898 I didn't see your reply before I faxed off the authority - hopefully noise won't be a problem - I'm on pain meds that zonks me out so may not matter to me only my husband
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2016, 08:50 AM)cate1898 Wrote: I have a ResMed A10 Elite and knowing hind sight is 20/20, I'd choose a PR machine. I'm tired of spending 10 minutes many nights re-seating my humidifier on the A10 due to loud 'whining' sound.
Hi Cate
Last week, my A10 started to make this whining sound, changed the water tank and the heated hose and the noise ceased immediately. Not sure, whether the water tank or the hose did the trick but they're getting old, could do with a change
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2016, 12:28 AM)Sueveebee Wrote: Phillips Respironics New Gen Remstar Pro & heated tubing humidifier

I don't know what "New Gen" means. There's no such model unless they have a different set of names in Oz, or they've released a new model. Maybe "New Gen" is slang for the latest model and means the DreamStation models.

It might also be the Philips Dorma model, which I would avoid.

The AirSense 10 Elite is a good machine, and a safe bet. Be sure they don't try to trick you with the "AirSense 10 CPAP" model. The Elite will say AirSense 10 Elite on the front panel over on the bottom right near the water tank.

There have been some reports of AirSense 10 machines with noisy seals on the humidifiers and reports on a fix, so maybe it's fixed now.

Edit - The thread was here. The poster used the term humidifier "bin," which I presume means the water tank.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 261,272 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Equipment] Which ResMed to choose? Morseman 2 530 05-14-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Morseman
  Did I choose the wrong machine? AaronB123 0 515 01-07-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: AaronB123
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,775 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,299 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Question How to choose new DME MagnoliaSolana 4 839 12-02-2021, 05:38 PM
Last Post: MagnoliaSolana
  Would You Choose a New ResMed 11 Series as a Replacement? - Poll RayBee 11 4,099 05-31-2021, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.