Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] I need help choosing a mask
RE: I need help choosing a mask
It's lavender? Wow! I feel pretty.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
P10? Not a chance - doesn't work for me tossing and turning. Respironics Nuance? Far better headgear, and better sizing for me. Love mine! I use the fabric Nuance and not the silicone/gel Nuance Pro.

Good luck - the right mask is 95% of the battle - keep trying until you find what works for YOU!

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
For some folks, nasal pillows (prongs) are a good solution, but by no means are they THE solution. (Folks, just because you love nasal pillows, or a particular brand/model, it does not mean it is THE solution. Please quit saying that. As cuzzin Jim is fond of saying,"Everyone has to work out their own salvation".) I personally do not like them. For me a nasal mask is an ideal solution - less felt pressure and on the model I use, no air exhausting on my face. For some, a full face mask is more better. Especially if their mouth gapes open while asleep.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I am wanting to try a nasal pillows mask, but I am hesitant about having the hose routed downward.

I have a Wisp nasal mask now and really like having the hose go over my head. It doesn't get in my way when I turn to my side in my sleep. How do you handle avoiding the hose with a P10 mask?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both the P10's and the PR DreamWear. I find the P10's stay on better for side sleeping. No need to adjust every time I turn over in bed, which is something I had to do with the DreamWear. I originally thought having the hose at the top of my head with the DreamWear was the be all and end all, but I don't find having the hose hanging down from the P10's to be a problem. Much better than having to readjust the nasal pillow on the DreamWear every time I move in bed. Leak rate is about the same on both for me.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for all the replies and encouragement. I really need to get on this as my sleep sucks, big-time and I am still having daily headaches. I will check out the P10. I was about to give up on the whole thing. I have had people tell me that using the machine was a game changer for them in terms of how they feel. Definitely a challenge. I feel like a freak with my dental night guard and head gear and now ear plugs to drown out the noise! Argh!
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW Casuco, In case you aren't aware, sleeping in the supine position usually makes apnea much worse. Some people with mild SA manage to do without CPAP by sleeping on their sides.

I too had a sleep lab diagnosis that didn't meet Medicare criteria for treatment and must buy my own equipment so I'm well aware of what you are going through.

FWIW, I use the Optilife nasal pillows mask. It's half the price of other nasal pillow masks and works quite well for me.

I Also have the Resmed Mirage Quattro and the Innomed Hybrid but neither of those worked well enough for me. They were uncomfortable and prone to leaking at any pressure above 8 cm H2O unless the straps were tightened down to, what for me, was an uncomfortable level. Believe you me, I tried and tried but the treatment was worse than the affliction until I found the nasal pillows mask. I do have to use a chin strap to stop the air from escaping out of my mouth. YMMV

Edit: Also be aware that many suppliers offer masks on a guaranteed trial basis that allow you 30 days to return them for full credit if not satisfied. You only pay return shipping.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 723 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Apnea Test Results and Choosing the Right CPAP? dank44 0 407 07-03-2023, 09:10 PM
Last Post: dank44
  Help Choosing the Right Machine janelleb1985 4 568 06-07-2023, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Ed in SoDak
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,484 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Need advice on choosing a new machine Quackdoctor 6 755 03-21-2023, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Need help choosing between Airsense 10 C2C or regular Airsense 10/11 dabrat76 10 1,610 03-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Last Post: dabrat76
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,172 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.