Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] I need help choosing a mask
I need help choosing a mask
I need help. I am newly diagnosed, just got my machine. There is no way I can sleep with this mask. I am using nose prongs. Can anybody tell me which mask to use that is quiet, doesn't push air into your face and eyes? I had to buy my machine out of pocket because My apnea wasn't bad enough for Medicare to cover it. Therefore, I did not have any help determining which mask to use. I am a light sleeper...noise, air bother me. I am sure I am not the first user that has encountered these problems. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I need help!
Prongs! What you want are nasal pillows like the Resmed Airfit P10. Nasal pillows rest non-invasively outside the nose and let air enter through the nostrils.

I wouldn't stick this up my nose, holy cow!

[Image: $_35.JPG]

This would be a lot nicer:

[Image: news_article_P10.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the P10 and love it. Absolutely give it a try. If it works for you the biggest hurdle of cpap (a properly fitting mask) is overcome.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I also use the P10 nasal mask. like
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also use P10 and it's pretty comfortable. (pillow type)
I also have Mirage FX model, which is the nasal type.

I mostly stick with the Mirage model, since the p10 has a high leak data for me.
However, if the comfort is the issue, I pick p10 over mirage any time!
Post Reply Post Reply
Count me as one more who loves the P10. Mine is a "for her" model, comes with 3 sizes of pillows. Very comfortable. You can side-sleep (and even stomach-sleep) with it!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I need help choosing a mask
I updated your subject line so it can draw in the attention it needed vs being so generic.

As for the type of mask, first we need to know more information.

When you sleep at night, do you breathe with your mouth open? If you do, then you will need either a nasal mask or nasal pillow mask with chin strap or a full face mask.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2016, 06:45 PM)Winterfrost Wrote: Count me as one more who loves the P10. Mine is a "for her" model, comes with 3 sizes of pillows. Very comfortable. You can side-sleep (and even stomach-sleep) with it!

Winterfrost, I was just at the DME and they were out of the "blue" P10 models. Turns out the very fashionable purple headgear and frame I got are "for her". I'm a 250 lb. male, and while I think I look really cute in purple, I think the headgear is just a bit tight. I'm back to my old blue headgear, but the frame is the same...(poet and don't know it).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed will tell you that there is no difference in the size of the lavender vs the blue, but the blues consistently measure about an inch longer regardless of what their help line will tell you Smile

and yes, another of the P10 cult here
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Casuco,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post, good luck to you in finding a mask that works well for you; much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 726 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Apnea Test Results and Choosing the Right CPAP? dank44 0 407 07-03-2023, 09:10 PM
Last Post: dank44
  Help Choosing the Right Machine janelleb1985 4 568 06-07-2023, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Ed in SoDak
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,484 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Need advice on choosing a new machine Quackdoctor 6 755 03-21-2023, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Need help choosing between Airsense 10 C2C or regular Airsense 10/11 dabrat76 10 1,610 03-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Last Post: dabrat76
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,172 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.