Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] I think my CPAP is producing less pressure?
I think my CPAP is producing less pressure?
Hi, all --

Over the past month or so, I feel like the pressure my CPAP produces has become less than it used to be -- judging by how the air venting out the front of the mask feels, and also how my ears don't pop as much as they used to when I turn the machine on. And I've been feeling tired more, and my wife tells me she heard me snoring the other night.

It's still showing the same pressure setting as always, but I've been traveling a lot, so something might have gotten damaged. I'm not seeing any other signs of damage, though.

Is there any way I can test what pressure it's actually putting out? Or is it worth just pre-emptively seeing if I can get it replaced under warranty?

Unfortunately, the machine's a dumb brick, so I can't get it to tell me whether I've been experiencing apnea more than usual.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I think my CPAP is producing less pressure?
Possibly the tubing has started leaking somewhere?
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless you are mechanically minded and have the right measuring tools (like someone one here does), just take it to the DME for a calibration check. Something might have gone out of adjustment from a bump or the vibration from repeated travel. My two cents worth!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2015, 10:18 AM)JonathanLennox Wrote: Is there any way I can test what pressure it's actually putting out? Or is it worth just pre-emptively seeing if I can get it replaced under warranty?

Why yes you can!

You need some thin clear plastic tubing (like used in an aquarium, a glass of water and a small ruler calibrated in cm.

Fill the glass with water, stick one end of the tube in the glass, slide the other end under your mask (between your face and the mask).

Fire the machine up, and measure how far below the surface of the water, the air in the tube goes.

If it's 10cm from the surface to where the air in the tube stops, your machine is creating 10cm. 8-)

Some masks actually have a port for this, so check. You might get lucky!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 236 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 277 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 447 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 181 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 580 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,639 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.