Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help! Need a new mask that's TMJ-friendly
Help! Need a new mask that's TMJ-friendly
Hello everyone - I could use some advice with a new mask that's TMJ friendly.  Here's my situation:

I was recently diagnosed with severe apnea and have been trying to get used to CPAP for the past few weeks.  Unfortunately despite recommendation from the nurse, nasal pillows aren't really an option with snoring and mouth-breathing.  I've tried it again off and on several times, but it always ends with a frustrating end and terrible night sleep.

The Airfit F30 showed a lot of promise.  It's comfortable when sitting/awake and breathing feels pretty natural.  Unfortunately after a few hours of it it place, especially when lying down, it puts pressure on my jaw triggering an old TMJ and I wake up with unsustainable jaw pain.  To continue getting used to the CPAP, I significantly loosened to bottom straps to minimize jaw pressure but now it leaks something fierce.  In looking at pictures of just about every alternative, the lower straps all seem to run along the jaw line, which I'm afraid will cause similar pain.
I was wondering if a full-face mask might be better, since it distributes the pressure a little more broadly but of course the DME is unwilling just keep trying all possible masks.

Any help/advise would be fantastic!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help! Need a new mask that's TMJ-friendly
I'm going to play a broken record of mine. Since I was introduced to a Fisher and Paykel Vitera full face, it's been my go-to until my ASV therapy didn't want to play well together with COPD.

The Vitera is at least a possibility. It is a full face type and you need to wear the straps rather loosely intentionally due to the RollFit bellows on the cushion. You need to wear it lower on the nasal bridge than ResMed's masks to keep it from leaking there, but it's a minimal adjustment thing.

Give it a look and see what you think. I used a ResMed AirFit and AirTouch F20 mask, mostly medium-sized was best. I use the Vitera in medium also, but check for for yourself to be sure of correct fit if you get one.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have a mouth guard from your dentist? I use nasal pillows unless my nose is stuffed up to reduce issues with TMJ as well. Currently I’m using the brevida and have used the nuance pro.
Post Reply Post Reply
About three years ago, I was having similar issues, eventually seeing an oral surgeon who injected cortisone into my right TMJ, which was quite effective. Subsequently to this my hematocrit and hemoglobin were indicative of low grade anemia, and ensuring that I get enough iron in my diet I think has kept the issue from returning. My TMJs still aren’t in great shape, but there’s no significant pain at night anymore.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice!  Intentionally loose sounds promising - I'll take a look.

My TMJ needed a lot of treatment about 20 years ago but since then I pretty much just live with it and avoid things that aggravate it.  It hasn't really been a big problem until CPAP therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had TMJ dysfunction for many, many years. When I hooked up with XPAP I started pushing my front teeth out. I added another mouth guard so now one on top and one on bottom. If you haven't been wearing a night guard in recent times, I would recommend getting one from your dentist. Having stuff on your face can change the dynamics. I was wearing the Resmed n20 when this happened.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,526 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,216 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,426 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,834 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,531 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.