Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this due to too much PS/EPAP?
Is this due to too much PS/EPAP?
Hi, quick question. I used to use an APAP machine but my sleep never felt much better (Low AHI and high RDI on sleep study). Never had insurance so had to do it all on my own. I didnt know about this site until recently. I tried APAP and CPAP mode and someone pointed out in my old data a lot of flow limits and arousals (Apparently resmed doesnt pick up RERA's). I had maxed out EPR so I tired higher pressures. All it caused was air swallowing, leaks and also more periods of not breathing or very small inhalations followed by paused breathing. I since got a bipap from someone for a good price. I am currently on a EPAP of 4.6 and a IPAP of 8.6 (low pressures ik) but I dont really have OA's so I figured starting low is better. The highest I ever got on CPAP was 12 with an EPR of 2. I immediately felt better on BiPAP the first night but I had the trigger setting at very high per recommendation to prevent CA's, which I now think was bad advice. I still had weird breathing so I changed my settings to 10 over 5 and the trigger to normal that night and slept just as well, but had a ton of central apneas, many in clusters. Because of this I turned the trigger back to very high. However with trigger on very high I found myself more and more exhausted physically and once I turned it down to high I felt much better the very next day, but still not as good when on medium. I plan on turning it back to medium tonight. I have found since that putting a ball behind my shirt has helped my sleep quite a lot as well. Also a CBCT showed my airway was very good, but my nose...not so much. I am trying to tackle my allergies better. However my breathing still seems flow limited, and while I feel 60 precent better than the death I felt like before, I still feel like im missing something, maybe its just more time but I dont think that's all.  I pause breathing a lot and have really long inspirations that seem to pause half way. I had similar issues when my CPAP pressures were high. Any idea on what this is? I'd really appreciate it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is this due to too much PS/EPAP?
Your results with PS 4 using fixed VPAP-S pressure, looks excellent here, and CA does not appear to be a problem. Time in therapy is good and leaks are controlled. Flow limit is zero across the board, so you can probably afford to reduce PS slightly. Your pressure support is adjustable in increments of 0.2 cm, and if you feel a slightly lower PS might be a better solution, you seem to know how to reduce to 3.6 or 3.8. Your decisions on trigger sensitivity seem to be sound.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks sleep rider. I didn't know if pausing breathing a lot was normal or not. Therapy is going well but still toss and turn a lot. I will look at other factors for this and give the current settings more time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey one quick question sleep rider. Is it true when on S on any machines that the machines dont record flow limits? Or for example when on CPAP mode on an APAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like to know that too. I have Aircurve 10 and when in S mode there is no flow limitations recorded there. Why is that?
Post Reply Post Reply
It is true that the S-mode does not record Flow Limitations. An easy workaround is to use the VAuto mode, setting the maximum IPAP pressure to equal the sum of the EPAP+PS.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think some of the recent machines may record flow limits in S mode, but the historic normal has been CPAP and VPAP do not record flow limits in fixed pressure modes. My mistake on the earlier post...good catch.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Well I actually learned that from you,  which kind of saved my hide. I had pretty large flow limits even with EPR 3 and pressure maxed back when I was placed on a APAP. I turned it to auto mode and actually saw some flow limits but they seem minimal. If I go over 4 PS my CA and air swallowing will increase. At the moment I can tolerate the amount or air I'm swallowing and my CA are small and likely just TSA. Maybe I'll try an work up eventually at a slow pace or use extra ventilation tubing if I need. I highly doubt I need an ASV but I do seem really sensitive to flow limits. Anyways, I'm rambling. I feel much better after years of not getting anywhere thanks to this board and especially your advice. Still have a ways to go but I think I just need to be patient and give it time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UARS suspected - how set IPAP and EPAP jrcifani5005 20 1,216 03-05-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: jrcifani5005
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 332 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Seemingly little correlation between EPAP (or PS) and AHI or flow rate. [UARS] ldinks 154 12,865 08-09-2023, 05:50 AM
Last Post: Dutchie
  IPAP/EPAP pogosix 7 1,203 04-12-2022, 08:56 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  ASV Epap vs PS correlation? Moemah123 10 2,594 02-21-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Sometimes Waking Short of Breath while on BiPAP - EPAP, PS Settings? holden4th 27 2,991 02-12-2022, 04:25 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Minimum EPAP 4 or 5? permabear 1 1,123 10-21-2021, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.