Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Im a cdl driver they said i have to have at least 4 hours of machine and 70%
Im a cdl driver they said i have to have at least 4 hours of machine and 70%
Does those 4 hours have to be all at one time or can I stop and start again 2 or 3 hours later does any one know ????
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Im a cdl driver they said i have to have at least 4 hours of machine and 70%
Four hours total in one night.  Our machine days run noon to noon. As long as it totals 4, it can be split up.

It’s understandable when new at this, you may not be able to sleep more than a couple hours at a time. For some, it takes longer to adapt.

Not sure if Compliance rules for drivers are the same as what Medicare requires, but this is what you need to strive for:

The usage minimum is defined by the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) as using CPAP at least 4 hours nightly for 70 percent of the time. Over a week's time, minimum usage equals about 5 nights out of 7, using it for at least 4 hours every night.

This usually has to be accomplished within the first 90 days of therapy, with a Face to Face meeting with your doctor after the first 30 day period, but before the 90 day period is up.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Im a cdl driver they said i have to have at least 4 hours of machine and 70%
(10-16-2017, 01:26 PM)denarmy Wrote: Does those 4 hours have to be all at one time or can I stop and start again 2 or 3 hours later does any one know ????

This sounds like the standard insurance compliance requirement. I'm under those rules, too, and I hardly drive.

My understanding is that the compliance requirement can be met in whatever way. HOWEVER. I wouldn't recommend doing that to your body. A 4-hour stretch is not enough, even. Your body needs sleep. Let the CPAP take care of you, so you feel rested. You will be a safer driver, too: this is good for the rest of us.

Learn from this board how to put the pieces in place so your CPAP treatment is successful. You might start by reading "Success Stories" pinned at the top.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi denarmy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question.
Good luck with CPAP therapy and getting used to it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Former CDL and current ASV guy: best I'm aware is that compliance is same as Medicare that we're familiar with. I am checking to be sure, but I think this is correct.

Here's one of our own threads:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Compliance-in-relation-to-DOT

Dave B.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2017, 01:26 PM)denarmy Wrote: Does those 4 hours have to be all at one time or can I stop and start again 2 or 3 hours later does any one know ????

Honestly if you find the right mask, 3-4 hours doesn't come into to play.  Try some different ones out and ask for feedback here.  I hated mine the first couple of days, and was directed to a new mask type and nasal cushion size.  Then it was like Nirvana.  Wouldn't trade it for anything....If you actually need this, find the correct mask and enjoy the results.  The mild inconvenience of the mask and hose is far outweighed by the benefits.   Never have I felt so rested in years! Shy
Post Reply Post Reply

DOT wants 70% of your nights to be >=4 hrs of usage.  If you stop and start, you'll get there as long as you end up with >4 hrs that night.  So 2 hrs, then a break, then another 2 hrs the same night will be OK.  2 hrs one night and 6 hrs the next will only count night #2.  Your CPAP recording will be what's used, they *might* not look too closely at HOW those hours were accumulated, just that they ARE.

FAA (my requirements) are >75% at >6 hrs for a 12 month period, every year.  They accept a SleepyHead report.
Post Reply Post Reply
In NSW, Australia the RMS require a minimum 4 hours use in a 24 hour period, and a minimum 80% compliance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just out of interest, here in the UK you have to use your machine for 5 hours and be below 5 Ahi before they will give you your driving licence and allow you to drive.
This is supposed to be the rule anyway, however, I have heard of this being bent by both doctors and the DVLA who controls driving licences over here.
If you are not compliant here you do not get a licence back after they suspend it when notified by you Sleep Doctor.
Some doctors bend the rules and do not notify the DVLA until you are compliant, however, you have to get it to work first time round.
For some this is very difficult to do, getting used to CPAP and become compliant in the first month or two before you go back to see the Sleep Doctor.  Most doctors realise that the dangerous driver is the driver that still has not been diagnosed.  So some bend the rules until they see you next, then they tell you you have to inform the DVLA.

Is there any restrictions on driving over there or is it just an insurance compliance thing so as you can keep using the equipment?

Answers on a post card please. Smile

If there is, how would the law there affect visiting drivers?
Mind you this might generate a whole load of answers with different states and laws!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
My DOT examiner was looking for usage of at least 4 hrs on 70% of the last 30 days. I don't think you will have to worry about split nights. My DME prints a report for me at no charge. I just have to take my sd card to them. They also forward a copy of the report and my statement that cpap treatment is helping with my sleep apnea to my insurance company as proof of compliance, saving me a step in proving compliance each year.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 7 68 38 minutes ago
Last Post: biboombap
  Airsense 10 run hours??? eok361 5 129 Yesterday, 08:13 PM
Last Post: eok361
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,410 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 394 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 322 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 537 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Total machine use hours? milogurd 1 315 02-03-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.