Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Im i getting better
Im i getting better
Hi everyone my name is Jeff from the UK and new to this forum.Shy
Anyway can anyone tell me if i am getting better and if it looks like i might be able to stop using my Resmed, when i was 1st told i had sleep apnea i was told AHi was 66 per hour that was 6/6/13 i was very over weight and told if i could remove 5 stones it would go a long way to putting me back normal .
Well i have now lost over 6 stones feel great sleep well and my av readings AHi 1.3 what i want to know are the reading that low only because i use the Resmed or am i on the mend,still need to loose more weight but have i got a chance to be normal thanks love reading this site JeffThanksThanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Im i getting better
G'day Jeff

6 stones is 84 pounds, which is about 37 or 38 kilograms. That's a heck of a lot to lose in four months - congratulations! Well-done I don't think there's any way to simply tell if your apnea has resolved itself without doing another sleep study. Your AHI of 66 was very high - here in Australia that qualifies as very severe. I suspect the bad news is that you'll still have the apnea but it will be much less disruptive than before you lost the weight.

Time for a deep and meaningful chat with your doctor, I think. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2013, 05:02 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day Jeff

6 stones is 84 pounds, which is about 37 or 38 kilograms. That's a heck of a lot to lose in four months - congratulations! I don't think there's any way to simply tell if your apnea has resolved itself without doing another sleep study. Your AHI of 66 was very high - here in Australia that qualifies as very severe. I suspect the bad news is that you'll still have the apnea but it will be much less disruptive than before you lost the weight.

Time for a deep and meaningful chat with your doctor, I think. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply i have mislead you a bit, i first talked to the doctor back in
February this year it was June i got my resmed so its taken me a little longer than 4 months but its on going and going very well jeff.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rogejeffr and welcome to the forum
Your AHI is good while using CPAP indication that the treatment is working, you,re not going to know the answer of your question without a new sleep study. Did your pressure drop since loosing weight? which model of the autoset are you using (S8, S9)
btw ... we,re the normal ones here, just happen to nap/sleep with PAP
Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2013, 05:15 AM)rogejeffr Wrote: Thanks for your reply i have mislead you a bit, i first talked to the doctor back in
February this year it was June i got my resmed so its taken me a little longer than 4 months but its on going and going very well jeff.

Regardless of the time it's still a hell of an effort. I struggle to get one or two kilograms off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Jeff, fantastic job for losing all that weight, normally weight loss only helps the reduce the serverity of sleep apnea we have. It is not very often cured but as Zonk said the only way to know is to have another sleep study. Whatever you do, don't go off your CPAP until you have had the sleep study. I wish you the best of luck and keep us updated on how you go. If your symptoms have improved it is more than likely your therapy is working which is also fantastic more than the weight loss, if you have to stay on CPAP it is not the worst thing in life.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Am i getting better
(11-02-2013, 05:30 AM)Tez62 Wrote: Welcome Jeff, fantastic job for losing all that weight, normally weight loss only helps the reduce the serverity of sleep apnea we have. It is not very often cured but as Zonk said the only way to know is to have another sleep study. Whatever you do, don't go off your CPAP until you have had the sleep study. I wish you the best of luck and keep us updated on how you go. If your symptoms have improved it is more than likely your therapy is working which is also fantastic more than the weight loss, if you have to stay on CPAP it is not the worst thing in life.

Thanks for that,i have to say i feel much better now i use CPAP and as you said its not the worst thing but i never had this problem until i put all this weight on, i have to keep it in check so i can keep driving, my car means the world to me so no way will i stop.Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Am i getting better
(11-02-2013, 05:19 AM)zonk Wrote: Hi rogejeffr and welcome to the forum
Your AHI is good while using CPAP indication that the treatment is working, you,re not going to know the answer of your question without a new sleep study. Did your pressure drop since loosing weight? which model of the autoset are you using (S8, S9)
btw ... we,re the normal ones here, just happen to nap/sleep with PAP
Sleep-well

S9
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

Some people have been able to come off of XPAP therapy after losing a great deal of weight. I lost a little over 100 lbs (45 kg) and had a follow up sleep study to see if I could lose the machine.

Turns out I couldn't. Oh-jeez

You might be able to be one of those lucky people. I hope you are. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2013, 08:28 AM)cbramsey Wrote: Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

Some people have been able to come off of XPAP therapy after losing a great deal of weight. I lost a little over 100 lbs (45 kg) and had a follow up sleep study to see if I could lose the machine.

Turns out I couldn't. Oh-jeez

You might be able to be one of those lucky people. I hope you are. Sleep-well

sorry you have to carry on ,when i started in June with the machine AHi 66
then went back after 4 weeks and the doctor said it had gone down to AHi 1.3 now in between seeing the main doctor in Feb then getting and using the machine into July their as been a big fall and it as stayed low just hope i am not reading to much into it i don,t go back until Feb 2014 so by then hopefully more weight will have come off me
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.