Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Im i getting better
RE: Im i getting better
Hi rogejeffr,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CONGRATULATIONS for the wait loss.
I would encourage you to keep using your CPAP machine because it is still keeping your apnea in check.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2013, 01:06 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi rogejeffr,
WELCOME!to the forum.!
CONGRATULATIONS for the wait loss.
I would encourage you to keep using your CPAP machine because it is still keeping your apnea in check.

Thanks Trish i will not stop CPAP unless doctors tell me to, i have my licence
to think about, i could,nt live without my car and i feel less tired, and with weight loss much fitter but still some way to go yet thanks again Jeff ,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Am i getting better
Thanks for that,i have to say i feel much better now i use CPAP and as you said its not the worst thing but i never had this problem until i put all this weight on, i have to keep it in check so i can keep driving, my car means the world to me so no way will i stop.Jeff

Jeff, you may have had sleep apnea but the increase in weight made it worse or it could have caused it, unfortunately it doesn't always work the other way. When we put on weight, a lot goes on around our neck and throat area and the inside of our throats get thicker which is one of the causes for obstructive sleep apnea, but when we lose weight our throats don't get thinner or go back to how they were. I hope with the weight loss you have renewed energy and are able to exercise more and you are eating the right foods. Weight loss and exercise are good for us whether we have sleep apnea or not. It is probably more important for us to stay as healthy as possible, you don't want a cold when you have to wear a mask. Keep at it till you next appointment in February and see how you go then and ask any questions when you need too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2013, 04:41 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Thanks for that,i have to say i feel much better now i use CPAP and as you said its not the worst thing but i never had this problem until i put all this weight on, i have to keep it in check so i can keep driving, my car means the world to me so no way will i stop.Jeff

Jeff, you may have had sleep apnea but the increase in weight made it worse or it could have caused it, unfortunately it doesn't always work the other way. When we put on weight, a lot goes on around our neck and throat area and the inside of our throats get thicker which is one of the causes for obstructive sleep apnea, but when we lose weight our throats don't get thinner or go back to how they were. I hope with the weight loss you have renewed energy and are able to exercise more and you are eating the right foods. Weight loss and exercise are good for us whether we have sleep apnea or not. It is probably more important for us to stay as healthy as possible, you don't want a cold when you have to wear a mask. Keep at it till you next appointment in February and see how you go then and ask any questions when you need too.
good advice that i am working with a nutritionist, and he is a man who as been my size,had all the problems i have had, and won, so he is helping others and its working Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2013, 04:27 AM)rogejeffr Wrote: Anyway can anyone tell me if i am getting better and if it looks like i might be able to stop using my Resmed …
Well i have now lost over 6 stones feel great sleep well and my av readings AHi 1.3 what i want to know are the reading that low only because i use the Resmed or am i on the mend,still need to loose more weight but have i got a chance to be normal

HI Jeff, welcome to the forum!

Look at the data in your machine, using ResScan or SleepyHead. Look at the plot of the pressure for each minute you were sleeping

If you no longer need PAP therapy, your mean pressure and 95 percentile pressure and max pressure would all be the same as the minimum pressure setting, no mater how low you adjusted the minimum pressure.

Every time the AutoSet adjusts itself higher than its minimum pressure, it is saying you need stronger PAP therapy than its minimum pressure setting.

Sleep position is usually very important, too. I sleep in a snug teeshirt which has a tennis ball in a pocket sewn right between my shoulder blades, to keep me from rolling onto my back while asleep. Keeping off my back reduces how much pressure my machine needs to provide.

Also, jaw position is usually important. For very mild OSA, a mouth guard or dental appliance may be adequate to prevent OSA, especially if we can keep from ever rolling onto our back while we are asleep.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2013, 04:04 AM)vsheline Wrote:
(11-02-2013, 04:27 AM)rogejeffr Wrote: Anyway can anyone tell me if i am getting better and if it looks like i might be able to stop using my Resmed …
Well i have now lost over 6 stones feel great sleep well and my av readings AHi 1.3 what i want to know are the reading that low only because i use the Resmed or am i on the mend,still need to loose more weight but have i got a chance to be normal

HI Jeff, welcome to the forum!

Look at the data in your machine, using ResScan or SleepyHead. Look at the plot of the pressure for each minute you were sleeping

If you no longer need PAP therapy, your mean pressure and 95 percentile pressure and max pressure would all be the same as the minimum pressure setting, no mater how low you adjusted the minimum pressure.

Every time the AutoSet adjusts itself higher than its minimum pressure, it is saying you need stronger PAP therapy than its minimum pressure setting.

Sleep position is usually very important, too. I sleep in a snug teeshirt which has a tennis ball in a pocket sewn right between my shoulder blades, to keep me from rolling onto my back while asleep. Keeping off my back reduces how much pressure my machine needs to provide.

Also, jaw position is usually important. For very mild OSA, a mouth guard or dental appliance may be adequate to prevent OSA, especially if we can keep from ever rolling onto our back while we are asleep.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
not sure about what you are saying but here is the pressure,s you say about
MEDIAN = 13.1
95TH PERCENTILE = 19.9
MAXIMUM = 19.9

Post Reply Post Reply
I think what he is saying is that if you no longer needed CPAP therapy that your median, 95% and maximum pressure would all be the same (the lowest number in the range set on your autoset). For example, if your pressure range is set at 13 to 20, the median, 95% and maximum pressure would show 13.

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2013, 07:18 AM)me50 Wrote: I think what he is saying is that if you no longer needed CPAP therapy that your median, 95% and maximum pressure would all be the same (the lowest number in the range set on your autoset). For example, if your pressure range is set at 13 to 20, the median, 95% and maximum pressure would show 13.

Hope this helps.

so looking at my figures i still need it oh well not the end of the world and now i know what to look for, thanks to the nice people on this site, thanks to you all Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2013, 08:15 AM)rogejeffr Wrote:
(11-03-2013, 07:18 AM)me50 Wrote: I think what he is saying is that if you no longer needed CPAP therapy that your median, 95% and maximum pressure would all be the same (the lowest number in the range set on your autoset). For example, if your pressure range is set at 13 to 20, the median, 95% and maximum pressure would show 13.

Hope this helps.

so looking at my figures i still need it oh well not the end of the world and now i know what to look for, thanks to the nice people on this site, thanks to you all Jeff

I don't think that a lot of people that have OSA get off of CPAP therapy, even with the various surgeries out there. I met one person that said he was extremely overweight and that he lost the weight and did not need CPAP therapy anymore.

NOTE: I have met very, very overweight people that said they were tested for apnea and did not have it AND I have met people that were slim and not at all overweight that had OSA. I don't say this to say that it isn't a great idea to lose weight because, as DOC WILS and many others have said, losing weight will help all of our organs and our overall health, BUT OSA isn't caused from being overweight. My personal opinion, and this is not based on medical evidence, is that being overweight aggravates OSA.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2013, 09:02 AM)me50 Wrote:
(11-03-2013, 08:15 AM)rogejeffr Wrote:

Hope this helps.

I don't think that a lot of people that have OSA get off of CPAP therapy, even with the various surgeries out there. I met one person that said he was extremely overweight and that he lost the weight and did not need CPAP therapy anymore.

NOTE: I have met very, very overweight people that said they were tested for apnea and did not have it AND I have met people that were slim and not at all overweight that had OSA. I don't say this to say that it isn't a great idea to lose weight because, as DOC WILS and many others have said, losing weight will help all of our organs and our overall health, BUT OSA isn't caused from being overweight. My personal opinion, and this is not based on medical evidence, is that being overweight aggravates OSA.

Well when OSA was found out on a stay over night in hospital,my doctor told me that he would review me when i had lost at least 5 stones, come feb it will be 12mths so we will see what he says but the more i read on here i think your right, but i must have hope . i will update
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.