Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Improvement to nasal cpap
Video 
Improvement to nasal cpap
Hi there... I use a Dreamwear nasal cpap. The idea of blowing air in your nose is flawed by the fact that it escapes through an open mouth. It was suggested that it's a simple matter of keeping your mouth closed while you sleep. If people could keep their mouths closed while they sleep they wouldn't need cpap.

I designed a mouth mask, which is 3D printed and form fitting for my face. The mask performs three functions, it keeps my lips closed, holds down the 3" X 4" waterproof bandage, that I wear over my mouth and keeps my cheeks from puffing out. This fixes the 3 things that make the cpap ineffective and wake me up at night. So far it's working fine. Please also note the green
nylon coated formable wires, that are inserted in the air tubes. These keep the air tubes off my face, so no marks/divits in the morning.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Improvement to nasal cpap
It's commendable you are able to 3D print items to make your therapy better.

I did want to comment on one thing. Need for CPAP isn't due to a sleeping person's mouth being open, it's due to the throat collapsing and restricting airflow. The positive pressure in PAP splints the airway to prevent that collapse. If one's mouth opens, it does blow the therapy pressure, so an open mouth is a problem, unless you are successful at maintaining your natural tongue seal.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your positive thoughts. I understand the causes of obstruction and one of the contributing factors is the lower jaw moving downward and backward (i.e. mouth open) during sleep.
Burt
Post Reply Post Reply
Let’s see this invention!
Post Reply Post Reply
Video 
Hi there... I use a Dreamwear nasal cpap. The idea of blowing air in your nose is flawed by the fact that it escapes through an open mouth. It was suggested that it's a simple matter of keeping your mouth closed while you sleep. If people could keep their mouths closed while they sleep they wouldn't need cpap.

I designed a mouth mask, which is 3D printed and form fitting for my face. The mask performs three functions, it keeps my lips closed, holds down the 3" X 4" waterproof bandage, that I wear over my mouth and keeps my cheeks from puffing out. This fixes the 3 things that make the cpap ineffective and wake me up at night. So far it's working fine. Please also note the green
nylon coated formable wires, that are inserted in the air tubes. These keep the air tubes off my face, so no marks/divits in the morning.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Judging CPAP improvement jprconsulting 1 81 03-24-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 321 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 149 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Grin New CPAP User, looking for improvement help babysleep 8 469 01-24-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  eXciteOSA See Any Improvement? (with images) bergerj 6 1,675 01-21-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: jrolli1509
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.