Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] In OSCAR....What is the difference OBSTRUCTIVE AIRWAY " OA" vs HYPOPNEA "H"
In OSCAR....What is the difference OBSTRUCTIVE AIRWAY " OA" vs HYPOPNEA "H"
Hello,   ( my second post)...I hope I'm in the right "FORUM")
  • So...in OSCAR....What is the difference  OBSTRUCTIVE AIRWAY " OA" vs HYPOPNEA "H"?
  • I'm finally getting a handle on reducing my HYPOPNEA's (H) down to zero events in a one hour period of time.
  • I got there by concentrating on getting my mask leaks down to ZERO percentage "1st" and then gradually increasing my pressure until I got to 14 and the the Hypopnea's went to zero.
  • Now, the issue is what is " OA" in Oscar.... " Obstructive Airway"  mine is still recording events which is causing my AHI to be higher.
  • I was really concentrating on getting my "H" (HYPOPNEA) to get to zero events by increasing my pressure!  
  • What can I do to reduce my "OA" events? (OBSTRUCTIVE AIRWAY)
  •  I'm thinking to keep rising my pressure, nasal sprays, diet, exercise ....any suggestions?
  • I really thought I was out of the woods by figuring out how to get my "H" to zero to get my AHI down but now I'm confronted with the Obstructive airway situation.
Thanks for your insight to this situation !

Robert Simpson
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: In OSCAR....What is the difference OBSTRUCTIVE AIRWAY " OA" vs HYPOPNEA "H"
OA/OI is obstructive events. This is where the airway is blocked completely.

H/HI is hypopnea events and that is where the airway is closing but not blocked.

As long as your AHI is below 5, you're doing good. If your goal is to get everything to zero, you're not going to get there. Some of us work to get it as low as possible though. For two reasons: one, it is something to do (challenge, fun, etc); two, although the AHI is below 5, some people still aren't feeling well enough and getting it lower may correct that.

Also, easy on making changes. One night is not enough to go by. Make a change then gather data for at least a week (I aim for 14 days). Then adjust if necessary.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you,

I was hoping that Hypopnea was completely blocked and Obstructive  was partial but not the case...the the reverse!  LOL  Too-funny

I will have to keep working on this....what an adventure....it is defiantly  working for the better.    Sleep-well

I will see my provider again in January , I'm sure he will be amazed at the increase in my knowledge about my situation and the amount of data I've been able to gather to help me resolve my health care situation.

Thank you to the forum and its members for the timely response .....I live alone with my COMPUTER  and Utube and sometimes it nice to get interaction to a question that just confuses the heck out of you!

Thanks again,

Robert Simpson
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Robert, I would suggest that you post your OSCAR charts for evaluation. If you don't understand the response, ask. Many things are obvious to many of us when viewing charts. Please do organize them according to the charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
Given enough time (oh you just got there already from one original post and one reply) and soon you'll be able to teach your doc about therapy that he likely didn't even know existed. With that OSCAR data, you'll have info so detailed it'll shock him. And with the same data, you'll edit the CPAP knowing why you're doing it.

Post up that data and we'll help you set that machine to it's best possible. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't be surprised if your doc freaks out about you adjusting your own treatment. Some of them get upset they are losing control over you.

Have you visited our Wiki? Link is at the top of every page.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just expanding on the explanations above:
  • OA - Obstructive apnea - a total (or nearly total) blockage of the airway for 10 seconds or more
  • OAI - Obstructive apnea index - the average number of obstructive apneas per hour
  • H - Hypopnea - a partial blockage of the airway for 10 seconds or more
  • HI - Hypopnea index - average number of hypopneas per hour
  • AHI - Apnea hypopnea index - average number of apneas plus hypopneas per hour

As Fred said above, please post an Oscar daily chart so we can see exactly what's happening. The instructions for formatting the chart are here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I did forget to mention, not only are a few of us here on Apnea Board somewhat sarcastic, but probably all of us are evil rogue criminals that adjust their machine to give reasonable therapy success. Oh no self advocacy.

I'd rather enter the clinical mode and adjust xyz, lock it in place and exit clinical mode, and in maybe a minute you're done even in the wee hours Monday morning. The alternate is to make an appointment with Dr. Duck for Tuesday at 230 to discuss whether doc sees the data that you've already seen that gives cause to adjust xyz. If doc sees the chart and does decide to adjust, they'll update the machine wirelessly on Thursday because technician Tommy only updates on that day. Just saying... Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2019, 11:54 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: OA/OI is obstructive events. This is where the airway is blocked completely.

H/HI is hypopnea events and that is where the airway is closing but not blocked.

As long as your AHI is below 5, you're doing good. If your goal is to get everything to zero, you're not going to get there. Some of us work to get it as low as possible though. For two reasons: one, it is something to do (challenge, fun, etc); two, although the AHI is below 5, some people still aren't feeling well enough and getting it lower may correct that.

Also, easy on making changes. One night is not enough to go by. Make a change then gather data for at least a week (I aim for 14 days). Then adjust if necessary.

Great post.

My story. My quest is for good sleep quality and more deep sleep.
 A person at the DME got righteous when I said I was working on lowering my numbers....She said 5 was good. I told her if I had to wear all this "stuff" treatment better work better than that. I've never talked to her again. Others there are more supportive.
Back then I was compliant but sleep quality was terrible and I was tired all the time.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2019, 08:36 AM)DaveL Wrote:
(12-01-2019, 11:54 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: snip
My story. My quest is for good sleep quality and more deep sleep.
A person at the DME got righteous when I said I was working on lowering my numbers....She said 5 was good. I told her if I had to wear all this "stuff" treatment better work better than that. I've never talked to her again. Others there are more supportive.

Yea being disturbed every 12 minutes is great  Rolleyes
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,400 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 122 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,243 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Clear airway Bullabill 3 237 03-12-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 269 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.