Humidifier: Resmed s9
CPAP Pressure: 8 to 12. Usually around 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Inconsistent AHI thoughout the night
Hi folks,

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I've been using an auto CPAP for about 3 months. My AHI in the lab was 38.

A few times recently I woke up at 5 in the morning and noted that my AHI was low (0.9 to 1.3) with usage of about 5 to 7 hours. I went back to sleep for and hour or two and when I awoke finally my AHI was in the 5 to 6 range or even higher.

I looked at my detailed graph and I note that very often I have low incidence of apnea events all night until and hour or two before I would normally get up and then they are quite high. There appears also to be a fair amount of central apnea going on.

Any ideas?

Mike in Toronto
03-29-2013 12:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Pete Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt SV
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics - Opti Life
Humidifier: H5i & Climateline
CPAP Pressure: EPAP 5-15 PS 2-15

Other Comments: Sleep-on

RE: Inconsistent AHI thoughout the night
(03-29-2013 12:56 PM)Mike in Toronto Wrote:  Hi folks,

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I've been using an auto CPAP for about 3 months. My AHI in the lab was 38.

A few times recently I woke up at 5 in the morning and noted that my AHI was low (0.9 to 1.3) with usage of about 5 to 7 hours. I went back to sleep for and hour or two and when I awoke finally my AHI was in the 5 to 6 range or even higher.

I looked at my detailed graph and I note that very often I have low incidence of apnea events all night until and hour or two before I would normally get up and then they are quite high. There appears also to be a fair amount of central apnea going on.

Any ideas?

Mike in Toronto
What type of apneas are shown in Sleepyhead? Are they OSA, Hypopneas, unspecified or clear airway? I"VE USED CPAP over a year and finally had to change to VPAP Adaptive Servo Ventilation because of central apneas made worse by the CPAP pressure. Most of mine appeared like you described yours. Clustered together; especially the centrals. Some showed up in transition to sleep but they also showed up quite at random, especially in clusters of dozens of events.

Some people say the data capable machines cannot distinguish a true central apnea, but that's debatable. All of mine that my Resmed S9 Autoset said were centrals actually were and that's why I now am on VPAP ASV. It completely eliminated the centrals and also the OSA as well. Yours may or may not be, but don't ignore them either. The smell of smoke only appears where there's a possibility of fire....
Ratt Dont-know
03-29-2013 04:12 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

It could also be body position. Perhaps you are rolling over as you slowly wake up and there's a leak. Or you roll onto your back at that point.

Like Pete said, it's not just that there are a lot of events, but also the kind of events and how long they last.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-29-2013 04:42 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

It happens. This morning at 6:30am I woke up and said to myself: "It's 6:30am. I think I will try sleeping on my back a bit."
What started out as a fairly clean night went downhill fast as I recorded 28 hypopneas and 14 OA's in less than one hour. Needless to say it blew my AHI skyhigh, well over 11!

So...today I am ordering a small back pack to fill with tennis balls and foam.

'nuff said.

Sleep-well

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
03-30-2013 03:09 PM
Ugly Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Micro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-14

Other Comments: Hydrocephalus, myopia, depression, chronic ugliness, stupidity, tinnitus, mixed sleep apnea.

(03-29-2013 12:56 PM)Mike in Toronto Wrote:  A few times recently I woke up at 5 in the morning and noted that my AHI was low (0.9 to 1.3) with usage of about 5 to 7 hours. I went back to sleep for and hour or two and when I awoke finally my AHI was in the 5 to 6 range or even higher.

Um, you may be missing the concept here.
When it comes to AI/HI/AHI/CI, the LOWER the better, especially if the numbers are LESS than 5.
03-30-2013 04:00 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mike in Toronto Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed s9 auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Pilairo and Wisp

Other Comments:

(03-30-2013 04:00 PM)Ugly Wrote:  
(03-29-2013 12:56 PM)Mike in Toronto Wrote:  A few times recently I woke up at 5 in the morning and noted that my AHI was low (0.9 to 1.3) with usage of about 5 to 7 hours. I went back to sleep for and hour or two and when I awoke finally my AHI was in the 5 to 6 range or even higher.

When it comes to AI/HI/AHI/CI, the LOWER the better, especially if the numbers are LESS than 5.

Thanks to everyone for your very helpful replies. I appreciate the thought that went into them.

And Ugly, thank you to for your reply. Rest assured that I understand that in this game, as in golf, low scores are best. The point of my question was to understand why my scores were initially low (good) and then sky rocketed (not so good).

I appreciate the concern.

Mike
03-30-2013 06:14 PM
Ugly Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Micro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-14

Other Comments: Hydrocephalus, myopia, depression, chronic ugliness, stupidity, tinnitus, mixed sleep apnea.

(03-30-2013 06:14 PM)Mike in Toronto Wrote:  
(03-30-2013 04:00 PM)Ugly Wrote:  

Thanks to everyone for your very helpful replies. I appreciate the thought that went into them.

And Ugly, thank you to for your reply. Rest assured that I understand that in this game, as in golf, low scores are best. The point of my question was to understand why my scores were initially low (good) and then sky rocketed (not so good).

I replied based on your wording. It sounded like you were concerned because your AHI was so LOW. I just wanted to make sure that you didn't misunderstand the idea that, as you said, lowest is best.

Quote:I went back to sleep for and hour or two and when I awoke finally my AHI was in the 5 to 6 range or even higher.

It sounded like you were glad that your AHI was increasing.
I wanted to be sure that you realized that's NOT something to strive for. I may have misunderstood your context of "finally"

(finally, my AHI was in the 5 to 6 range or even higher.)

No it's not something to be glad about and that's how I took your statement. Re-reading this I may have misunderstood the context but I wanted to be sure that a higher AHI was not an objective.
03-30-2013 07:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

I typically have a small cluster of central events between 5 and 6am. Not every night, but enough that when I see them, I look at the time and yep, between 5 and 6am.

So it could be positional, it could be a disturbance around you (the force maybe?).

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-30-2013 07:25 PM
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

That's right. AHI's are like golf scores. Lower is better. Smile Below 5 is good.

Cheers! Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
03-30-2013 07:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mike in Toronto Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed s9 auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Pilairo and Wisp

Other Comments:

(03-30-2013 07:14 PM)Ugly Wrote:  
(03-30-2013 06:14 PM)Mike in Toronto Wrote:  
(03-30-2013 04:00 PM)Ugly Wrote:  Um, you may be missing the concept here.

I replied based on your wording. It sounded like you were concerned because your AHI was so LOW. I just wanted to make sure that you didn't misunderstand the idea that, as you said, lowest is best.

Quote:I went back to sleep for and hour or two and when I awoke finally my AHI was in the 5 to 6 range or even higher.

It sounded like you were glad that your AHI was increasing.
I wanted to be sure that you realized that's NOT something to strive for. I may have misunderstood your context of "finally"

(finally, my AHI was in the 5 to 6 range or even higher.)

No it's not something to be glad about and that's how I took your statement. Re-reading this I may have misunderstood the context but I wanted to be sure that a higher AHI was not an objective.

Understood and appreciated.

Thanks again

Mike
03-30-2013 09:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  1st night with DreamWear mask - Best night ever pwgphoto 34 5,335 08-30-2016 08:36 PM
Last Post: HoustonMIke
Question Inconsistent AHIs... Still adjusting? kyhmm72 10 844 04-03-2016 03:43 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Seeing significantly different AHI numbers night to night galenaforest 4 821 02-25-2016 02:27 AM
Last Post: Dagmar1
  One night = 0 leaks, next night 30 L.....??? GrammaBear 3 738 01-28-2016 01:39 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  First night behind me - 2nd night update - mostly Centrals? worn_out_in_lebanon 19 4,467 03-21-2015 11:11 AM
Last Post: retired_guy
  0.0 Events Last Night - Night #7 Sparkle 4 1,794 01-20-2015 09:47 PM
Last Post: Sparkle
  Interesting night- Adjusted pressure part way through night dozydave 2 1,148 01-19-2015 02:46 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last