Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Inconsistent AHI thoughout the night
RE: Inconsistent AHI thoughout the night
I found my apnea comes in swarms based on the stage of sleep I'm in. Most nights the stages show on the software literally within 30 minutes of the same time day to day..
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2013, 12:56 PM)Mike in Toronto Wrote: Hi folks,

A few times recently I woke up at 5 in the morning and noted that my AHI was low (0.9 to 1.3) with usage of about 5 to 7 hours. I went back to sleep for and hour or two and when I awoke finally my AHI was in the 5 to 6 range or even higher.

I looked at my detailed graph and I note that very often I have low incidence of apnea events all night until and hour or two before I would normally get up and then they are quite high. There appears also to be a fair amount of central apnea going on.

Happens to me, too. When my AHI is high, it is almost always this scenario. Luckily, my AHI is not usually higher than about 2. I asked my doc about it and he didn't know what caused it. I have occasionally checked my O2 saturation with an oximeter but have never managed to use the oximeter when one of those events occurred.

I understand why being on your back would affect apnea and hypopnea events but I don't understand why being on your back would increase Clear Airway events. Can someone explain?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2013, 04:45 PM)aehjr Wrote: I understand why being on your back would affect apnea and hypopnea events but I don't understand why being on your back would increase Clear Airway events. Can someone explain?

Thanks!

First, I very rarely have clear airway events. On days that I do, they usually occur within the last hour before rising and I'm not sleeping deeply. I sometimes temporarily hold me breath when changing position and thinking about the coming day. If I hold it long enough, my S-9 autoset will flag it as a clear airway event. YMMV.
Post Reply Post Reply
By the way, the backpack full of tennis balls works. You can't sleep on your back at all with that on.
My AHI has dropped and max pressure delivered by the S9 also dropped.

Coffee
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2013, 04:45 PM)aehjr Wrote: I understand why being on your back would affect apnea and hypopnea events but I don't understand why being on your back would increase Clear Airway events. Can someone explain?

Thanks!

My wild guess would be, if on an autoPAP, that the higher pressure would cause more central events. Or the pressure combined with the hypopneas and obstructive would cause wonky O2 and CO levels, freaking out the brain.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for all the advice.

A couple of things...

I have tried to avoid lying on my back while sleeping, particularly in the early morning hours. It is pretty much just convincing or training myself not to do so. It has made a big difference. I no longer get the really high spike around 5 to 7 am. It helps a lot

Secondly, I spoke to my sleep doc here in Toronto. He said that apneas occurr more often during REM sleep which in turn occur more often towards the end of a sleep cycle (ie. for me around 5 or 7 AM. So a spike is expected, maybe even good because it shows we are entering REM sleep, which appears to be restricted with apneas.

Thanks for the help.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
Correct.
Apneas break up / interrupt REM sleep and that will drive you nuts.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inconsistent sleep - OSCAR interpretation dadjackets 2 267 02-21-2024, 11:58 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,360 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 895 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  1.5 years on CPAP - inconsistent results bgusc10 1 537 04-07-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  It is still consistently inconsistent... Aludj 3 608 08-08-2022, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Aludj
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,109 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.