Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Insomnia
CPAP Insomnia
I've been trying to use my auto cpap with 2L of O2 for the last 3-weeks with little luck. Is there a way to start with no air pressure or put my auto cpap on a timer. One of my biggest issues is I can't fall sleep trying to breath against an air current. The machine starts out min pressure of 4, and that's just too high. I had problems with air blowing when I was on oxygen at night. I want to make this work, but I need the air pressure off when I go to sleep. I've fallen asleep just the mask on, but every time I try with the air, I feel like I can't breath. My insomnia is now 10x worse. Any thoughts?

Oh I'm nasal pillows, which I hate. My sleep tech, during the study, put me on a wisp mask, but the supply company doesn't carry it. Can I order the wisp and have my insurance pay me back? Also what do you guys do about the smell. I heard you can place a sponge of essential oil in front of the air intake and that helps, anyone try that? I use essential oils to calm down when I have an anxiety attack and I love them. Other than that, I wish the air was warmer, I have it on the highest setting, and it still feels cold. Would a warm vaporizer in the room help? I also have had a few nose bleeds because of a dry nose, I was told to use saline.

I think that's about it, sorry for all the newby questions. I've just been fighting to get on a cpap for about a year, and I want to start sleep better. I have both moderate central and obstructive sleep apnea.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Insomnia
(11-26-2015, 06:45 PM)julrez9 Wrote: I've been trying to use my auto cpap with 2L of O2 for the last 3-weeks with little luck. Is there a way to start with no air pressure or put my auto cpap on a timer. One of my biggest issues is I can't fall sleep trying to breath against an air current. The machine starts out min pressure of 4, and that's just too high. I had problems with air blowing when I was on oxygen at night. I want to make this work, but I need the air pressure off when I go to sleep. I've fallen asleep just the mask on, but every time I try with the air, I feel like I can't breath. My insomnia is now 10x worse. Any thoughts?
There is no good answer for this. No one starts below 4; and delayed start is just not an option.

Oh I'm nasal pillows, which I hate. My sleep tech, during the study, put me on a wisp mask, but the supply company doesn't carry it. Can I order the wisp and have my insurance pay me back?
Depends upon your insurance company.

Also what do you guys do about the smell. I heard you can place a sponge of essential oil in front of the air intake and that helps, anyone try that? Not recommended at the machine intake. The oils could damage the sensors or build up on the blower impeller.

I use essential oils to calm down when I have an anxiety attack and I love them. Other than that, I wish the air was warmer, I have it on the highest setting, and it still feels cold. Would a warm vaporizer in the room help? That's worth a try.

I also have had a few nose bleeds because of a dry nose, I was told to use saline. Some people experience this; especially with nasal pillows.

I think that's about it, sorry for all the newby questions. I've just been fighting to get on a cpap for about a year, and I want to start sleep better. I have both moderate central and obstructive sleep apnea.

Thanks

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2015, 06:45 PM)julrez9 Wrote: Is there a way to start with no air pressure or put my auto cpap on a timer. One of my biggest issues is I can't fall sleep trying to breath against an air current.
Thanks
CPAP pressure start at 4 and cannot be any lower and can results in re-breathing own exhaled air
You can set Ramp to start at lower pressure while the machine ramp pressure to treatment pressure over a period of time
Exhale pressure relief (Flex) helps with lowering pressure somewhat on exhalation so breathing feel more natural (for some), level 3 provide the most relief. Also some people who have difficulties breathing out against pressure, might find bilevel machines more comfortable as the machine deliver two set pressures, a higher for when you breathe in and lower for when you breathe out

If you're not using the heated hose, might be a idea to get one, you can also use a hose cover with the slim line hose
There is no known cure for sleep apnea, but the good news, is that CPAP therapy will effectively control your sleep apnea, but there is a catch ... you have to use it regularly Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Check with your sleep doctor and see if you might need a different type of machine. It sounds like a Bi-PAP might be a better one for you since you can have more control of the exhale pressure.

Another good thing to do is, use the system while awake reading or watching TV so your body and mind will trust it and accept that it isn't something to fear. It's amazing how the human body can adjust to this therapy pressure and in short order it isn't noticeable at all. It just takes time and it's best to make that happen at some time other when you're trying to get to sleep.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
I start out at a pressure of 4, I'm on Auto PAP no Ramping needed. I can't breath against that pressure, I really try. The only time I was able to stay calm and sleep a little (1-1/2 hours) was when I was on my anti anxiety meds. I can't take them every night, they are highly addictive. Plus I don't have the choice of the other options like the mouth guard or the surgery because even without apnea events my O2 was down in the low 80's. I had like over 50 hypoxic events in an hour. I'm not sure what to do, I know if I don't treat this, it will kill me in the end, but so will sleeping less than 3 hours a day and living on energy shots. I guess I can always talk to the supply guy and see what we can do, maybe a Tracheotomy is my only option. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi julrez9

Many people like the nasal pillows because they are lightweight and non-claustrophobic. However if you can't breathe with them, see if you can try a mask with a greater volume, such as a regular nasal mask or full face mask. This might make the breathing easier, but at the cost of having a larger plastic alien strapped to your face. Smile

It does take time to adjust to CPAP therapy and three weeks isn't really giving it a fair go. Yes, I know some people get instantaneous relief but they're the lucky ones. For most of us it does take longer, but most people get there in the end. The main thing is to get accustomed to the mask, if necessary use it while watching TV or reading so that you become comfortable with it.

It's way too early to consider surgery, and from what I've read it's not a very effective remedy for apnea anyhow.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't what to tell ya. I've been on CPAP since 2006, started fulltime oxygen a couple years ago due to COPD. I use 4lpm while sleeping, and my pressure range tween 4 & 11. I use a ffm half the time and a Hybrid ffm the rest the time. Guess l'm lucky, pressure doesn't bother me at all. Hope you can get it worked out.
Cheers,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I Have no issues with the mask, it's the air pressure, even when watching TV, I can't leave it on. Ramping or even BiPap will not help unless I can turn the dang thing off while I'm trying to get to sleep. I'm an extremely light sleeper, and everything wakes me up or keeps me awake. When I was on 02, that pressure was too high. Is there a medication or implant that treats both types of apnea? I just don't see this working unless I can somehow get a timed start, like 2-hours after I go to bed. Another thing, looking over both sleep studies, I got worse after gastric bypass even though I lost a lot of weight. So I guess, weight loss won't help my problem either. I'm going to try to call the supply guy and see if there's anything I can do, if not, I'm returning the machine. SO far, this past three weeks, I've been getting less that 4 hours of sleep per night. I can't continue to live like this.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Resmed Bilevel machine and a full face mask. My inhale pressure is 20 cm/H2O. My exhale pressure is 16 cm/H2O. When I breathe out it does not feel like I am having to breathe against pressure at all. A full face mask would give you more of a cushion to help absorb the extra pressure when exhaling and the EasyBreathe transition that is available with Resmed bilevel machines would further make it easier to exhale. I do know that if I set my machine to work in straight CPAP mode and do not set any EPR (flex) or ramp, my mask will do push-ups on my face every time that I breathe and I have to work hard to exhale. I do not think that I could sleep with my machine set up that way.

From what you have said, it sounds to me like the main problem with breathing with the machine is your anxiety about it. I think that you need to find some way to control your anxiety other than the medication that you mentioned. I am trying to be helpful here not judgemental and I definitely do not have any answers for this.

One thing that I think might help although it sounds counter intuitive is to try raising your minimum pressure up to 6 or 7 cm/H2O. Without making any pre judgement of the workability, see if it helps or makes things worse.

Just some thoughts.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
julrez9,

Last night, I tried my nasal pillows mask. It is a Pilairo Q. What I found was that at exactly the same machine settings, I had to work a lot harder to exhale with the nasal pillows than with my Mirage Quattro full face mask. As I have said before, with my Mirage Quattro and my machine set for Easy Breathe, I do not detect any resistance when exhaling.

I cut my trial of the Pilairo Q short last night due to some other problems.

I would recommend that you find a full face mask that will seal for you and try it to see if it helps your exhale. It sure made a lot of difference for me last night when I went from the nasal pillows mask back to my full face mask. If that helps but not enough, you might consider a Resmed bilevel machine too.

I may not be as sensitive to exhale back pressure as you but there was a very definite improvement going from my nasal pillows back to my full face mask.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad Insomnia r4robin 5 216 03-25-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 299 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 607 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  CPAP causing insomnia, hoping for some help starsknight 3 780 03-03-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Insomnia Slumberseeker 4 644 08-29-2022, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Slumberseeker
  Insomnia and treatment? ECM5 10 1,202 08-02-2022, 07:05 PM
Last Post: ECM5
  [Diagnosis] Understanding AHI, blood pressure, pulse, insomnia hollysleep 4 701 07-09-2022, 09:32 PM
Last Post: SevereApnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.