Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Insurance Compliance Period
Insurance Compliance Period
I have an appt. for my compliance evaluation period at my sleep clinic.  What takes place at this visit?  will they just read my SD card to see my results to verify I am in compliance for the Insurance co. or will I actually get to review my reports for the in home and in clinic sleep studies all so what am I able to expect to  or get copies of i.e. my actual study results graphs or summary data??

If anyone in the forum has been to one of these visits let me know and or any one in this field of study that may know what I maybe able to request an obtain.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Insurance Compliance Period
c2workout,
I go for mine on 24 MAY. I am curious too and anxious to hear responses from the board leaders. I have been watching my nightly data via DreamMapper by Phillips Respironics, so I know already that I should be in compliance with 100% of nights with hours used above 5. It will be interesting to see if I am 'nicked' for changing min/max pressures and other settings myself. Are you feeling better since using your CPAP?
Have a good nights sleep,
NickAsleep
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect it depends on the clinic. I just had mine last month. I was asked if I was comfortable with the machine and felt it was helping me and to confirm that I had used it at least 4 hours a night for 70% of the nights. There was no interest in my SD card. I did bring some SleepyHead data and there was some interest in that but primarily it was just usage and whether or not I felt it helped.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
If this is your first visit, it is to validate your usage (percentage of nights over 4 hours), to see how you are acclimating to the machine, and depending on the physician, whether or not they want to change your initial settings. My visit was pro-forma and the doctor filed the necessary paperwork required by the insurance company. No special questions. Unfortunately, I did not have a great forum like this one, nor did I have access to software. I had a ResMed Elite II CPAP with a single setting. I needed to read the screen each day and track my own numbers.

However, this is an opportunity for you to get a much better handle on your therapy. Feel free to request the doctor if you are seen by a tech or an assistant.

Best of luck with your visit.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I was only required to see my sleep doctor before the first 90 day period was up.  He asked how I felt, commented that my average AHI was under 1, which he thought was unusual because none of his other patients had a low number.  

He didn't care about seeing data, and just laughed when I told him about this forum and how I was learning to tweak my settings.  He just said.....Do whatever works!

I only see him once a year now to satisfy insurance requirements, and we normally talk about
ways to lose weight.   Eat-popcorn

It's great if you have a doctor that is knowledgeable about your data, but if not, no big deal, and I would never worry about tweaking settings.  It has nothing to do with compliance.

Other than a serious medical condition, you will find help here.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2017, 06:14 AM)OpalRose Wrote: He didn't care about seeing data, and just laughed when I told him about this forum and how I was learning to tweak my settings.  He just said.....Do whatever works!

I only see him once a year now to satisfy insurance requirements, and we normally talk about ways to lose weight.   Eat-popcorn

Sounds like your doc is a real winner! (sarcasm)
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes he is (double sarcasm). I'm certain I know more than he does, at least where SA is concerned.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose - That's hilarious! At least he's not giving you a hard time and hindering you.

My insurance doesn't require compliance, so I can't speak to that. But as far as papers to request - definitely request a copy of your sleep study and your prescription/diagnosis; you are legally entitled to them, and (besides being interesting to read for yourself) you never know when you might need them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, very good advice. I haven't looked at mine for over a year. Should be good reading.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to everyone for this feedback.   From the comments so far, I will not be expecting much, but I will not let it become a 1 minute appt.   I have done this before and I have no problem asking them tough questions and to requesting my complete Study results not just some Drs. report that talks down to you, explains simple terms with the end result of my official report to be " Your AHI = 74 and do not sleep on your back sleep on your side"  end of written report. That they posted to "My Chart"   Online program some medical facilities use in my area to perform a number of simple task  i.e. make appt., refill meds., post some test results like the great report mentioned above, etc.
 I will report back and fill you in as to how it went.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 85 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 221 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 253 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 211 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,371 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,792 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 406 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.