Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI Data question
AHI Data question
So the other night I woke up after 3 hours and saw my machine was indicating an ahi of 6.5, which was very high for me;

I went back to sleep and after another 3 hours, the total nights AHI reading was 2.4

So help me understand the math......

AHI is events per hour..........

so after 3 hours, my ahi was 6.5 .................. and if I had no additional events...... in the forthcoming 3 hours ........ I should think that my ahi would be 6.5 divided by 2 or 3.2 ....... but it was not............... how did I get to a toal ahi of 2.4 for the night?

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI Data question
From my very limited experience, are these numbers from ResMed or SleepyHead data? Due to their different algorithms employed, they can and will report differently. I believe it's calculated by length of events/usage time. That way an apnea of 30 seconds carries a higher weighted average than one that lasted 10 seconds.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure exactly what the screen reports. I looked through the manual and couldn't find it. Since it is reporting it "live", it could be reporting the peak AHI vs the actual.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
From http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resmed...er_eng.pdf

Apnea Indices
For all indices, the value shown for Statistics is the total number of events divided by Daily Usage.

AHI — Apnea–Hypopnea Index
The total number of events is calculated by adding the number of apnea and hypopnea events.
For graphs, the AHI count is incremented at the occurrence of every event and reset every hour
Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk,

Do you have the Resmed web site memorized?? Smile

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have seen the exact same thing in SH when you have more than 1 sleep session in the night. Sometimes, the AHI is lower for each individual session and higher for combined session.

Maybe its a bug in SH.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2014, 03:26 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Zonk,

Do you have the Resmed web site memorized?? Smile

Best Regards,

PaytonA
Habit is second nature

[Image: Tea-Pot.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2014, 02:47 PM)zonk Wrote: From http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resmed...er_eng.pdf

Apnea Indices
For all indices, the value shown for Statistics is the total number of events divided by Daily Usage.

AHI — Apnea–Hypopnea Index
The total number of events is calculated by adding the number of apnea and hypopnea events.
For graphs, the AHI count is incremented at the occurrence of every event and reset every hour

So that's why it tracks the "peak" AHI. And looking at the screen while the machine is in use is kinda useless.

You're such a good alien, zonk. I like you.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2014, 05:28 PM)AshSF Wrote: I have seen the exact same thing in SH when you have more than 1 sleep session in the night. Sometimes, the AHI is lower for each individual session and higher for combined session.

Maybe its a bug in SH.

The OP was seeing this data on the screen of his machine, not within SH.

The problem with combining sessions is the math. The machines (and SH) don't use 60 minutes, they use 3600 seconds, calculate the events, then round it up. Quite often the two sessions AHI added together don't equal the total SH comes up with.

Then there's the way the machine itself comes up the the total vs the way SH comes up with the total. And it can be a mess. But really, unless the two is off by more than 1.0, I'm not gonna be upset.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about reliability of the CPAP data zynsa 4 651 08-02-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zynsa
  Question on data interpretation/meaning - flow rate dstone5 2 496 02-08-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: dstone5
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,632 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 884 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 796 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  OSCAR SD data question MagnoliaSolana 3 695 11-13-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S9 VPAP ST-A OSCAR Data Question gadgetmaniah 34 2,381 09-19-2021, 11:50 AM
Last Post: gadgetmaniah

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.